Police in Bangkok Conduct Random Checks on Tourists Ahead of Asia Cooperation Dialogue (ACD) Summit

rooster59

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Get Real said:

You always have a choice. Why would you want to argue about the obvious?
You have a copy he can see. The regulation says that a copy is acceptable. You can offer him to accompany you to your hotel, where you have your original passport.
That is no argument and it has been working for me once before. Talking out of experiance.

Hahaha,,,, you're assuming of course,, that the BIB,,, who most likely knows, EXACTLY what the regulation states,,, is actually gonna abide by it, and turn down some EASY $$$$?????,,,,,, 55555

Just now, Jiggo said:

What have Tourists and Thailand in common....these day's nothing.....

I must be something, when I look at the specification of your location.
There is also like the amount of tourists that are still arriving every day, that just talks against your statement.
Othervise it was ok.

Edited by Get Real
wrong spelling

1 hour ago, georgemandm said:

You need help if you think that  tourists need to be  drug tested off the streets of thailand it is just so stupid and will  destroy the  tourist industry .

People have been saying that for years. Hasn't happened yet, has it?

Lots of farangs are caught with drugs, that's a good enough reason to target them in the street with searches and, if necessary, urine testing.

If it's good enough for the blacks in soi 3, it's good enough for the whites milling around the sex areas of an evening.

6 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Your behind the times they make this stuff up as they go along. There is one set of rules for the country per se as a whole then there are the smaller fiefdom rules issued at the whims and fancy of power wanna bes. Its like the wild wild west with multiple Wyatt Earps in charge simultaneously 

The good Thai Army recently took over the country because most of the police are corrupt, so I would video everything that comes into your bag that is not yours, and be careful what comes out does not go back in.

see

Like I said you have problems go see a doctor 

Maybe you can see the difference between tourist that don't do drugs and those that do. If you can then the cops can hire you and save money on buying pee cups. Problem solved. Until then act like a guest in a foreign country and quit your griping or head to swampy and fly to the land of you are special and no law enforcement will ever ask anything if you because they can look at you and see you are special. Cheers ?

25 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

Lots of farangs are caught with drugs, that's a good enough reason to target them in the street with searches and, if necessary, urine testing.

If it's good enough for the blacks in soi 3, it's good enough for the whites milling around the sex areas of an evening.

You really think that all these tourists arriving every day, are causing a drug problem? I not know one single guy, being stupid enough to get into drugs in Thailand. I do know locals who will...

Just now, Adeeos said:

"Turning down money",,, and INSISTING on it, "EXTORTING it", when they DAMN sure KNOW they're wrong doing it, and know exactly what they are doing is AGAINST THE LAW,,,,, is NOT really, "turning down" money is it?

Now you are showing me that you do not understand this country. You will probably have a better life with the family you bring home in the states.
I am not saying it is right, but it´s Thailand and the authorities have always been wanting more money out of the foreigners than the thai people.
They also always been wanting a bribe to extend their pay check.

For it to be possible to live in a country you must be read in. You must accept the culture and the behaivior of people in different situations.
You must also anderstand how things are done, not what stands in the good book. For people that can not accept that, there is no place in Thailand.
For your information there are many more countries in the world that have different way of doing things, and you can never come as an outsider
to another country, live there and expect them to change for you.

Just accept it. In one way or not you have to do that for be able to stay. If not just find a better place on earth.

23 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Right now, I just feel sorry for you. You must have a lot of bad experiences regarding having to pay police all the time, or the most reliable and probably true explaination is that you just read to much of what so many people say here and their combined believes. Mostly there is a small amount of truth in all the statements here.

Nope, honestly, are you living so long in Thailand?   In some areas of Bangkok, Police fill their pockets, with especially innocent, frightened people, who will pay anything, to get out of trouble.  And YOU think they all know they can carry a copy of their passport?  They are not intimated by the man in brown? THEY know that, we know that, and you just should be left alone, when just on vacation, and trying to enjoy your holiday. Point. 

I've been resident here for the last 19+ years. It was a constant joy for a long time. But in the last decade it's got nastier and more unpleasant all round. In fact, right now, the hassles, the utterly ridiculous petty bureaucracy,  the pompous self-importance and the sheer arrogance in the way the laws, rules and regulations are created and administered has changed the balance. (And that's not taking into account the childish  cringing, blustering and dithering, like all bullies, when face is suddenly lost.)

Cambodia is doing all they can to welcome foreigners - entirely the opposite of the Thai regime.

The ordinary people still seem to be as lovely as they ever were. But the bureaucratic stance and the attitude of those who administer it is now becoming intolerable.

And with a Cambodian 3-year tourist visa now on the table, and the cost of living  half the price of Thailand, I think it's now time for a move to a country which doesn't consider itself the best and most important in the world, and everyone else inferior and an irritation to be dealt with as abruptly and as humiliatingly as possible.

Edited by robsamui

1 minute ago, indieke said:

You really think that all these tourists arriving every day, are causing a drug problem? I not know one single guy, being stupid enough to get into drugs in Thailand. I do know locals who will...

I think some of them help to keep the illicit trade in illegal drugs going.

When I go out to a club or a bar in the tourist area, I often see two or more farangs exiting a cubicle having consumed coke or whatever.

The police know for a fact that it is farangs buying the drugs off the dealers

They can't test all the tourists obviously so they conduct random searches and tests.

It's racial profiling but it appears to have worked very well in the past with numerous arrests made the last time they conducted these operations.

All power to them I say.

Just now, indieke said:

Nope, honestly, are you living so long in Thailand?   In some areas of Bangkok, Police fill their pockets, with especially innocent, frightened people, who will pay anything, to get out of trouble.  And YOU think they all know they can carry a copy of their passport?  They are not intimated by the man in brown? THEY know that, we know that, and you just should be left alone, when just on vacation, and trying to enjoy your holiday. Point. 

Yes I actually thought it was a good thing to know about the immigration laws in the country you visit. I also thought that it was your own responibility to be knowledgeble about such thing. How stupid of me! Won´t happen again. Oh, yes it will! If you are a person that are scared and easily intimedated, then it´s not such a wise thing to travel alone in a foreign country. As for everyone else they are not scary. Why people get scared to is much from forums like this one. How many of the people here that brings up subjects regarding the police and what they do an what they have for opinoin about them, have really been in a confrontation and lived that moment in reallity?

1 minute ago, YeahSiam said:

I think some of them help to keep the illicit trade in illegal drugs going.

When I go out to a club or a bar in the tourist area, I often see two or more farangs exiting a cubicle having consumed coke or whatever.

The police know for a fact that it is farangs buying the drugs off the dealers

They can't test all the tourists obviously so they conduct random searches and tests.

It's racial profiling but it appears to have worked very well in the past with numerous arrests made the last time they conducted these operations.

All power to them I say.

What I am saying the farang doing this kind of stupid action, how much would that be in numbers compared to all of the foreigners visiting Thailand? enough to bother all the normal visitors?

Odd,,,, there's NEVER, EVER, EVER any mention what so EVER,,, of Thai's being stopped on the street, while minding their own damn business and asked to pee in a bottle, randomly,,, can you show me a post?,, ONE such post?,,, NOOO you hear of Thai's being caught with THOUSANDS of yaba pills,,, They must being going off the Koh Tao murder statement,,, "No Thai would ever do such a thing",,,,,, lololololol

7 hours ago, z42 said:

I can't quite believe (well, actually I can really) how someone up high in whatever uniformed "service/s" were involved in this latest fiasco doesn't realize that this kind of thing SERIOUSLY damages tourist confidence, and is frankly scary to many / most.

Just going about your night on the town, and suddenly being asked to produce your passports or piss in a cup without any good reason is scandalous. With the amount of crime and corruption in the city, those 200 officers would absolutely be better deployed in other areas.

A disgrace, pure and simple

Do women have to piss in a cup as well?

3 minutes ago, indieke said:

What I am saying the farang doing this kind of stupid action, how much would that be in numbers compared to all of the foreigners visiting Thailand? enough to bother all the normal visitors?

As far as I know, they're not conducting the searching and testing in places like Hua Hin or Koh Samet.

They're doing it in the areas that attract the kind of people who might have a taste for drugs.

The sex tourist areas

Edited by YeahSiam

2 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Yes I actually thought it was a good thing to know about the immigration laws in the country you visit. I also thought that it was your own responibility to be knowledgeble about such thing. How stupid of me! Won´t happen again. Oh, yes it will! If you are a person that are scared and easily intimedated, then it´s not such a wise thing to travel alone in a foreign country. As for everyone else they are not scary. Why people get scared to is much from forums like this one. How many of the people here that brings up subjects regarding the police and what they do an what they have for opinoin about them, have really been in a confrontation and lived that moment in reallity?

I am a person, who never overstayed an hour, been respecting the country I visit, doing the things right, I guess. And so are most visitors. The target should be overstayers, that are registered, not just intimidating some foreigner, that walk the street, when they leave all illegal activities alone, that are in the open. 

3 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

As far as I know, they're not conducting the searching and testing in Hua Hin or Koh Samet.

They're doing it in the areas that attract the kind of people who might have a taste for drugs.

The sex tourist areas

Weeelll HELL,,, that's an EASY fix,,, get the COPS,, to stop taking bribes from drug dealers,, and returning drugs to the dealers they've taken off users,,, You know they HAVE to do such things,, because they make sooooo little $$,, and were FORCED into a job that pays sooo little $$$

1 minute ago, indieke said:

I am a person, who never overstayed an hour, been respecting the country I visit, doing the things right, I guess. And so are most visitors. The target should be overstayers, that are registered, not just intimidating some foreigner, that walk the street, when they leave all illegal activities alone, that are in the open. 

And you really believe that the registered overstayers that are conducting illegal activities in Thailand are going to be found on the address they leave on the immigration paper? That question goes for the overstayers also, but unfortunately they almost always are overstayers with a hand in illigal activities. Now maby you understand why they have to search for them in areas that are know to attract thoose kind of figures.

1 minute ago, Get Real said:

And you really believe that the registered overstayers that are conducting illegal activities in Thailand are going to be found on the address they leave on the immigration paper? That question goes for the overstayers also, but unfortunately they almost always are overstayers with a hand in illigal activities. Now maby you understand why they have to search for them in areas that are know to attract thoose kind of figures.

So if I am on Sukumvit, not so far from from an renown shopping center, walking peacefully on a  stretch of nowheresland after Soi 23, I can be bothered by a single officer, asking my passport, when a copy is enough, is intimating me, just for being a tourist in Bangkok, is fine? And if possible if everything is fine, to let me piss in a cup?  good night to you.

12 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

As far as I know, they're not conducting the searching and testing in places like Hua Hin or Koh Samet.

The sex tourist areas

Police are too busy in Hua Hin trying to protect elderly tourists from being bashed by Thai thugs.

Thai government moves towards legalizing meth, senior police official says arresting people for medical marijuana is like arresting somebody hungry stealing food, Thai cops on the street carry out random piss testing of tourists on the streets.

I don't have a problem with them doing it but doesn't something seem odd about the above statement? Also as another poster pointed out if this is in the name of security piss testing is sort of odd they should be looking for explosives and such. If you want to find people using drugs go to Khao San and start piss testing people wearing fishermen pants. 

40 minutes ago, robsamui said:

I've been resident here for the last 19+ years. It was a constant joy for a long time. But in the last decade it's got nastier and more unpleasant all round. In fact, right now, the hassles, the utterly ridiculous petty bureaucracy,  the pompous self-importance and the sheer arrogance in the way the laws, rules and regulations are created and administered has changed the balance. (And that's not taking into account the childish  cringing, blustering and dithering, like all bullies, when face is suddenly lost.)

Cambodia is doing all they can to welcome foreigners - entirely the opposite of the Thai regime.

The ordinary people still seem to be as lovely as they ever were. But the bureaucratic stance and the attitude of those who administer it is now becoming intolerable.

And with a Cambodian 3-year tourist visa now on the table, and the cost of living  half the price of Thailand, I think it's now time for a move to a country which doesn't consider itself the best and most important in the world, and everyone else inferior and an irritation to be dealt with as abruptly and as humiliatingly as possible.

Just don't be over 50 or make less than $2,500 a month if you wish to get married.

1 hour ago, YeahSiam said:

Ok the man that needs so help 

what about testing Thais the same tell me should they ?. 

7 hours ago, freebyrd said:

My experiences with BKK goes back 3 decades. I've lived and worked there, happy as a Lark. Circa 1992, a policeman rode past me and stopped. He beckoned me forth, squeezed my biceps, called me Rambo, thumbs up, big  laugh together and we both went about our business. Visiting BKK last week each time I saw a uniform I expected the worst. No matter what the rose tinted brigade say, TL has very much changed for the worst. Sad really.

This cop didn't go by the name Purple Aki, did he?

19 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

Ok the man that needs so help 

what about testing Thais the same tell me should they ?. 

They randomly test Thais all the time both on raids at specific bars/clubs and at street checkpoints.