Prachatai journalist facing charges resolved to report on abuses of power

webfact

Prachatai journalist facing charges resolved to report on abuses of power

JUTHATHIP LUCKSANAWONG
THE NATION 

30297268-01_big.jpg

Taweesak

BANGKOK: -- AFTER HAVING been arrested while on the job for an alleged connection to the campaign that opposed the August referendum, young journalist Taweesak Kerdpoka says the experience has substantially changed his professional and personal life.

"It's like I am threatened when dozens of cameras turn to film me when I meet my friends who are, 'unfortunately', anti-coup activists," said Taweesak, a reporter with the Prachatai online news agency. "My gut tells me that as a journalist, I have to distance myself from my fellows. Otherwise, I could be counted as an anti-junta activist."

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Prachatai-journalist-facing-charges-resolved-to-re-30297268.html

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-10-10

As the activists and Taweesak were about to leave the station, police searched their vehicle and found pamphlets described as "anti-charter" and "Vote No" stickers. All four were accused of disseminating "false", "intense", "provoking" or "intimidating" messages in order to incite unrest or influence voters, which was proscribed by Section 61 and carried penalties of up to 10 years in jail.

a sticker that says "vote no" is a "false", "intense", "provoking" or "intimidating" message

and worthy of 10 years in prison. 

Morons... :coffee1:

36 minutes ago, tbthailand said:

As the activists and Taweesak were about to leave the station, police searched their vehicle and found pamphlets described as "anti-charter" and "Vote No" stickers. All four were accused of disseminating "false", "intense", "provoking" or "intimidating" messages in order to incite unrest or influence voters, which was proscribed by Section 61 and carried penalties of up to 10 years in jail.

a sticker that says "vote no" is a "false", "intense", "provoking" or "intimidating" message

The reality of democracy in Thailand. 

And they are going to "work with " Amnesty International!

I suppose that the word "Amnesty " caught their attention, 

20 minutes ago, JAG said:

They'll meet the Amnesty people, maybe get a photo taken then issue a statement that Amnesty understands and supports all that's being done.

Only problem is that Amnesty isn't known for holding back and are unlikely to remain silent about a statement made on their behalf especially one that's not exactly accurate.

35 minutes ago, JAG said:

Currently  there is no democracy, in Thailand,  even when there is the facade, of democracy, it is always overseen by the military, hence the number of coups. In other words, follow what the military wants, or face another coup. Amnesty is one, of few, organisations, who do not kowtow  to these despots, unfortunately the international community is too silent, they allow these despots to hold power far too long, they should take action immediately  this coups take place, yes there would be short term suffering, but to allow it to go on only leads to long term suffering.

1 minute ago, aussieinthailand said:

10 years gaol for having vote no stickers.

Some could say that the junta operate with fear and intimidation against "selected" people.

Quote:  'Let them hate, as long as they fear.' 

Caligula. 

The PM seems to have the best of both worlds as no doubt what he does and can do is feared BUT the opinion polls show how much he's loved and respected too !      :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, tbthailand said:

1 hour ago, tbthailand said:

Just as well the UK didn't have the same "laws" when the Brexit referendum  was taken, shows Thailand doesn't  have the foggiest idea of "democracy."

11 minutes ago, Rorri said:

Just as well the UK didn't have the same "laws" when the Brexit referendum  was taken, shows Thailand doesn't  have the foggiest idea of "democracy."

I think that the people  have a clear understanding of democracy,  they also understand why it is denied them.They have had several opportunities to practice it in recent years, albeit in a less than perfect form 

I also think that the junta and those they serve have a clear understanding of democracy, and what it would mean to their hegemony.  That is why they repeatedly prevent it becoming established. 

Ironically just about all the institutions required for a democratic state are, in theory, in place in Thailand. They have been subverted, corrupted and manipulated in a way which George Orwell would instantly recognise.

Edited by JAG

5 minutes ago, JAG said:

I think that the people  have a clear understanding of democracy,  they also understand why it is denied them.

I also think that the junta and those they serve have a clear understanding of democracy, and what it would mean to their hegemony.  That is why they repeatedly prevent it becoming established. 

Ironically just about all the institutions required for a democratic state are, in theory, in place in Thailand. They have been subverted, corrupted and manipulated in a way which George Orwell would instantly recognise.

'... in a way that George Orwell would recognise'.

I wonder why Nineteen Eighty-Four is practically banned here - and reading it in public can get you arrested or showing the film version can get the cinema closed down?

Orwell would know - and so do we! 

Edited by Eligius

4 minutes ago, Eligius said:

I wonder why Nineteen Eighty-Four is practically banned here - and reading it in public can get you arrested or showing the film version can get the cinema closed down?

It's a result of the expensive western educations enjoyed by those at the very top.

Strange that they are able to recognise the  Orwellian simile,  and yet they don't recognise the inevitability of change, and the fact that the construction on which they perch is rotten,  and will fall apart when any real pressure is applied. 

I do enjoy intelligent conversation as I trundle through deepest Issan on the overnight Chiang Rai to Nakon. Panon  bus, en route to Savanakhet to renew my visa.

I wish I could say the same for the bloody 3 in 1 lukewarm coffee they have just served for breakfast!

:smile:

Edited by JAG

Just more abuse, endless abuse by the oppressors. If you haven't checked out Prachatai English you should. It has a lot from the other side of stories. The world stays silent on Thailand's abuse these days because of too much investment here. It's not like in the past. You can't just shut these giant car companies and move so easily. Globalization empowers the abusive leaders in nations by causing the countries whose factories are there to be more submissive. Thailand and its people and human rights are screwed. The only way to change this is for the people to take back their nation. At this point, many of those reporters from other newspapers like the nation who supported the overthrow now are turning their tune. They too risk the wrath of the pro-regime system that is in place.

"...All four were accused of disseminating "false", "intense", "provoking" or "intimidating" messages in order to incite unrest or influence voters, which was proscribed by Section 61 and carried penalties of up to 10 years in jail..."

Perhaps Taweesak was campaigning against these two parts of this charter (deemed by Prayut to be the "people's" Constitution):

• Section 34 A person shall enjoy the liberty to express his opinion, make speech, write, print, publicize, and make expression by other means. Restriction on such liberty shall not be permitted, except by virtue of the provisions of the law specifically enacted for the purpose of maintaining the security of the State, protecting the rights or liberties of other persons, maintaining public order or good morals of people, or safeguarding the health of the people.
  • Section 35 A person of mass media profession shall enjoy the liberty to report news or express opinion in compliance with professional ethics.

Even the junta's most ardent supporters must be starting to think that things are a bit one-sided !!!

12 minutes ago, waldroj said:

"...All four were accused of disseminating "false", "intense", "provoking" or "intimidating" messages in order to incite unrest or influence voters, which was proscribed by Section 61 and carried penalties of up to 10 years in jail..."

Perhaps Taweesak was campaigning against these two parts of this charter (deemed by Prayut to be the "people's" Constitution):

• Section 34 A person shall enjoy the liberty to express his opinion, make speech, write, print, publicize, and make expression by other means. Restriction on such liberty shall not be permitted, except by virtue of the provisions of the law specifically enacted for the purpose of maintaining the security of the State, protecting the rights or liberties of other persons, maintaining public order or good morals of people, or safeguarding the health of the people.
  • Section 35 A person of mass media profession shall enjoy the liberty to report news or express opinion in compliance with professional ethics.

Even the junta's most ardent supporters must be starting to think that things are a bit one-sided !!!

Right - 'liberty to express one's opinion', but notice the catch-all, get-out clauses that follow: 'except [if against] good morals of people', and the opinion expressed must be 'in compliance with professional ethics'.

Criticising or even daring to question the ruling powers and their 'Constitution' is hardly 'good morals of people', is it? It's an insolent slap in the face to the high ones from the filthy peasants, and it is certainly not displaying 'professional ethics' to encourage people to think that the high ones might actually be wrong. No, no, no - that will never do! We can't have any of that. 

So: the new Constitution is being correctly implemented - just as intended!

Edited by Eligius

18 minutes ago, Alive said:

Just more abuse, endless abuse by the oppressors. If you haven't checked out Prachatai English you should. It has a lot from the other side of stories. The world stays silent on Thailand's abuse these days because of too much investment here. It's not like in the past. You can't just shut these giant car companies and move so easily. Globalization empowers the abusive leaders in nations by causing the countries whose factories are there to be more submissive. Thailand and its people and human rights are screwed. The only way to change this is for the people to take back their nation. At this point, many of those reporters from other newspapers like the nation who supported the overthrow now are turning their tune. They too risk the wrath of the pro-regime system that is in place.

Checked Prachatai as you suggested and have bookmarked it, some interesting stuff indeed.

What caught my eye was an article on how a senior prosecutor was removed from his post for supporting the call to investigate the PM's brother and is now being investigated himself for his Facebook entry on the matter. 

1 minute ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Checked Prachatai as you suggested and have bookmarked it, some interesting stuff indeed.

What caught my eye was an article on how a senior prosecutor was removed from his post for supporting the call to investigate the PM's brother and is now being investigated himself for his Facebook entry on the matter. 

Amazing! Amazing Thailand indeed. No trace of hypocrisy or corruption here - none at all !

1 hour ago, Eligius said:

George Orwell quote (resized).jpg

4 hours ago, JAG said:

It's a result of the expensive western educations enjoyed by those at the very top.

Strange that they are able to recognise the  Orwellian simile,  and yet they don't recognise the inevitability of change, and the fact that the construction on which they perch is rotten,  and will fall apart when any real pressure is applied. 

Rotten structures often get fed upon by maggots and other parasites whilst in a state of decaying prior to falling apart and collapse. Despite the efforts of those who see the structures as beneficial, they can only prolong the inevitable for so long.

The trick is to allow real builders to replace the structure with something sustainable and parasite resistant. But that will benefit all.

Enjoy your bus ride. I hate that 3-in-1 coffee. Stay cool at the border.

8 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Rotten structures often get fed upon by maggots and other parasites whilst in a state of decaying prior to falling apart and collapse. Despite the efforts of those who see the structures as beneficial, they can only prolong the inevitable for so long.

The trick is to allow real builders to replace the structure with something sustainable and parasite resistant. But that will benefit all.

Enjoy your bus ride. I hate that 3-in-1 coffee. Stay cool at the border.

Thank you. It should be purely routine - but you never know!

:smile: