Thailand extends cash help for babies born in poverty amid IQ fears

webfact

Thailand extends cash help for babies born in poverty amid IQ fears

By Alisa Tang

SAMUT SONGKHRAM, Thailand (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - After the birth of her second son six months ago, Narinthip Pommarin stopped work to focus on her boys but soon found her husband's sporadic $12-a-day roofing jobs could not cover their needs.

They were forced to borrow money for the rent on their tiny, airless room in a rowhouse behind a car wash in Samut Songkhram province, southwest of Bangkok, and were struggling to repay the debt.

Then a friend suggested Narinthip sign her baby Ang Bao up for Thailand's new child support grant providing 400 baht ($12) a month.

Full story: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-poverty-children-idUSKCN12A00K?il=0

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2016-10-10

After 30+ years in Asia, I still can't fathom how difficult it must be to raise a family on $12 a day. The government offers support of $12 a month while millions of Baht are spent on trips abroad for weak a*sed reasons?! If this weren't so tragic it would be laughable.

2 minutes ago, freebyrd said:

After 30+ years in Asia, I still can't fathom how difficult it must be to raise a family on $12 a day. The government offers support of $12 a month while millions of Baht are spent on trips abroad for weak a*sed reasons?! If this weren't so tragic it would be laughable.

You will never understand how much B400 can be until you don't have that much. Those that NEED it will be grateful.

3 minutes ago, halloween said:

You will never understand how much B400 can be until you don't have that much. Those that NEED it will be grateful.

There were times many years ago as a very young father that I didn't have that much. In this day and age it's still pathetic. The downtrodden that NEED it will of course be grateful as they accept everything their government throws at them. The government should give them more.

Perhaps you can't smell BS as well as you think you can?

Edited by freebyrd
ommision

9 minutes ago, freebyrd said:

After 30+ years in Thailand, I still cannot fathom why people who cannot fend for themselves would have children...

IQ is limited to the small head?

6 minutes ago, halloween said:

How much of an increase could be made if, for example. all that money hadn't been wasted on a select bunch going on a jolly to Hawaii ?

4 minutes ago, trogers said:

After 30+ years in Thailand, I still cannot fathom why people who cannot fend for themselves would have children...

IQ is limited to the small head?

They have kids because they aren't as well educated or discerning as the likes of yourself. I actually believe that adults should apply for a licence to procreate the way we have to if we want to drive a car. I also believe that for the right to vote. The Brexiteers in the UK and all these morons blindly following Trump are testament to that.

Edited by freebyrd
ommission

2 minutes ago, freebyrd said:

There were times many years ago as a very young father that I didn't have that much. In this day and age it's still pathetic. The downtrodden that NEED it will of course be grateful as they accept everything their government throws at them. The government should give them more.

Perhaps you can't smell BS as well as you think you can?

I smell yours just fine. The downtrodden that NEED it will of course be grateful, those who don't feel free to sneer and demand that their expectations be met. Just how much do YOU think should be paid?

Among the mothers of the registered babies, 46 percent are unemployed, 23 percent are under 20 years old, 40 percent are single mothers, and 10 percent lack secure housing.

This is why sex education in school is imperative. It is also critical that parents, especially mothers, teach their sons that girls are to be respected and not there to cater to their every whim and pleasure, and teach their girls to be strong and resourceful and disavow them of the notion that they are there simply to please males. That figure of 40% single mothers is very disturbing.

3 minutes ago, halloween said:

I smell yours just fine. The downtrodden that NEED it will of course be grateful, those who don't feel free to sneer and demand that their expectations be met. Just how much do YOU think should be paid?

A hefty chunk of that Hawaii cash would be a good start.

10 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

How much of an increase could be made if, for example. all that money hadn't been wasted on a select bunch going on a jolly to Hawaii ?

Work it out for yourself. If there were a milion recipients, they could have a B20 increase for ONE month, or B2/m for 10 months. In other words very little, just BS to make apolitical point, ignoring that B400 is considerably more than the <deleted> they received under the benevolent Shinawatras.

Why don't you ask how much social security could be provided by the B600 billion wasted on the rice scam?

Just now, halloween said:

Work it out for yourself. If there were a milion recipients, they could have a B20 increase for ONE month, or B2/m for 10 months. In other words very little, just BS to make apolitical point, ignoring that B400 is considerably more than the SFA they received under the benevolent Shinawatras.

Why don't you ask how much social security could be provided by the B600 billion wasted on the rice scam?

We could play verbal tennis all day on this one, but in the end why bother? You already have all the answers.

10 hours ago, halloween said:

Work it out for yourself. If there were a milion recipients, they could have a B20 increase for ONE month, or B2/m for 10 months. In other words very little, just BS to make apolitical point, ignoring that B400 is considerably more than the <deleted? they received under the benevolent Shinawatras.

It doesn't matter what scheme we discuss it's all down to priorities and they're all skewed here and far too often skewed in favour of the few over the majority.

10 minutes ago, freebyrd said:

They have kids because they aren't as well educated or discerning as the likes of yourself. I actually believe that adults should apply for a licence to procreate the way we have to if we want to drive a car. I also believe that for the right to vote. The Brexiteers in the UK and all these morons blindly following Trump are testament to that.

They are procreating from the age of 15, like riding their motorcycles...

What licenses?

1 minute ago, NongKhaiKid said:

It doesn't matter what scheme we discuss it's all down to priorities and they're all skewed here and far too often skewed in favour of the few over the majority.

Well you chose to make a political point over B20 million, which was probably twice what it should have cost. I repeat, why make a point over such a small sum when there are far larger examples of waste and corruption?

1 minute ago, halloween said:

Well you chose to make a political point over B20 million, which was probably twice what it should have cost. I repeat, why make a point over such a small sum when there are far larger examples of waste and corruption?

I made a point and a valid one as an example it's you that calls it political because it suits your own needs.

All unnecessary waste and corruption is wrong but so much here is acted on selectively irrespective of who is in power.

5 minutes ago, halloween said:

We only see what we want to see...

Will someone please post the link to sign up ?

I know someone this would help,  she has a young baby and the father did a runner :(

That is one of the problems , the fathers do not have to pay anything , and leave the mothers with the baby , 

hopefully the Thai extended family helps,  but family is dirt poor too , 

400 baht is not much when you see how much Pampers and milk costs ,  but its something , 

are there any any other things the government helps young mothers with ?

22 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

Among the mothers of the registered babies, 46 percent are unemployed, 23 percent are under 20 years old, 40 percent are single mothers, and 10 percent lack secure housing.

This is why sex education in school is imperative. It is also critical that parents, especially mothers, teach their sons that girls are to be respected and not there to cater to their every whim and pleasure, and teach their girls to be strong and resourceful and disavow them of the notion that they are there simply to please males. That figure of 40% single mothers is very disturbing.

That's why Thailand is rank in the world's top ten for having a high sense of social responsibility...

A good measure is the % of single mothers. And the second good measure is the % of farang stepfathers.

5 minutes ago, oldcarguy said:

Will someone please post the link to sign up ?

I know someone this would help,  she has a young baby and the father did a runner :(

That is one of the problems , the fathers do not have to pay anything , and leave the mothers with the baby , 

hopefully the Thai extended family helps,  but family is dirt poor too , 

400 baht is not much when you see how much Pampers and milk costs ,  but its something , 

are there any any other things the government helps young mothers with ?

There was free milk powder for one child if twins, but that was many years ago. At that time, nothing else.

Four hundred baht 'aid' per month is a pathetic and paltry sum to pay a parent who is earning no more than 3,000 baht a month. Three thousand baht per month?! That's totally unlivable (in any decent definition of 'livable'). And the scum who ride roughshod over the poor think nothing of spending thousands and thousands of baht on one meal in a restaurant. Then they (or their evil system) salve their non-existent consciences by boasting about giving a measly 400 baht a month to the desperately poor? It's disgusting and hypocritical beyond all words.

And then all the nonsense about low IQ. The main reason that IQs are low here is not because of dietary deficiencies (although that may be part of it) - but chiefly because they are deliberately kept low, so that the scum at the top can easily continue to dupe, deceive, exploit and expropriate the poor and the powerless without them fully becoming cognizant of the crimes that are daily being perpetrated against them. 

The whole system is depraved and corrupt and unconscionable to the very core.

Prior to our first daughters birth, 23 years ago, my wife, bought material which she cut / prepared to proper size for diapers for the new one on the way.

Several months later we were shopping in a department store on chang klan road which had pampers on display. When I suggested using them instead of the diper cleaning, washing, etc routine she thought it sounded ok, but then she saw the price and declined.

I notice pampers are considered ''must have'' by many of the new mothers of todays Thailand. Every family member seems to carry a mobil phone which they replace with the newest model as soon as they are avaliable. Does anyone cook meals at home anymore, do laundry and ironing?

I agree we need to help those with the children when and where its needed but I see a lot of money spent on the latest which comes from outside Thailand and is not adding anything but cost to monthly expenses for many when it could be put to better use.

1 hour ago, Eligius said:

Four hundred baht 'aid' per month is a pathetic and paltry sum to pay a parent who is earning no more than 3,000 baht a month. Three thousand baht per month?! That's totally unlivable (in any decent definition of 'livable'). And the scum who ride roughshod over the poor think nothing of spending thousands and thousands of baht on one meal in a restaurant. Then they (or their evil system) salve their non-existent consciences by boasting about giving a measly 400 baht a month to the desperately poor? It's disgusting and hypocritical beyond all words.

And then all the nonsense about low IQ. The main reason that IQs are low here is not because of dietary deficiencies (although that may be part of it) - but chiefly because they are deliberately kept low, so that the scum at the top can easily continue to dupe, deceive, exploit and expropriate the poor and the powerless without them fully becoming cognizant of the crimes that are daily being perpetrated against them. 

The whole system is depraved and corrupt and unconscionable to the very core.

Do you know anybody earning B3000/m? At the minimum wage, that is only 10 days work.

10 hours ago, halloween said:

A lot more than 400 baht a month. That kind of figure is hardly going to make much difference to nutritional needs of children in their early years which is what the campaign is all about.