Looking for a job from thailand

Hello!

I am 19 years old Finnish boy.

I am looking for a job from Thailand.

Any job will be just fine but I have to manage with the money I get from it. I would be happy to hear about any job at all.

Please contact me, Thanks

Have you trawled through the previous postings regarding working in Thailand?  If not, please do so.  Read through them all, there is a "very valuable archive" on here now on the thread of working in Thailand.

Are you in Thailand now?  What skills do you have?  Where would you like to work in Thailand?  Do you have a degree?  Do you have any special experience or qualifications?  I'm starting to think that Thailand is not a panacea, you'd learn a lot from exploring that statement.

Have you looked into the TEFL(Teaching English as a Foreign Language) related schools?  You'll have little chance working as anything else in Thailand.  If you don't mind doing that, and many don't, then try there.

Have a read, then i'll try and guide and further questions.

Regards

Are you in Thailand now?  What skills do you have?  Where would you like to work in Thailand?  Do you have a degree?  Do you have any special experience or qualifications?  I'm starting to think that Thailand is not a panacea, you'd learn a lot from exploring that statement.

No. I will be in Thailand 26th of may.

My skills are simply speaking english, musical, singing, I speak ok english, I can work as waiter etc.. I dont have a degree.

No, I dont have much experience.

According to your previous postings in the forum, you'll need much more experience on the whole Thailand adventure before you even think about to work here. Start as a tourist first for a year and learn how it works, learn the people and the franag community. As a newcomber you will not success here on your first trip. It takes years!

George: I understand you're just trying to help but you have no idea of what you're talking about. No offense.

I understand a different country has different rules and laws, different problems etc but I am VERY serious about this.

It's not as simple as going for a position in Helsikni (great place btw).  You need to learn about a lot of topics to increase your chances.  The approach people seem to take is that Thailand is like the West, but a little different.  Actually it's completely different when you start looking a little closer under the surface.  I'm only coming to realise how little I know, once you start to go into a culture.

Many people would like to expatriate after a holiday, and i'm also guilty of this, (also have expat experience elsewhere), what i'm saying is be careful, think a little more about what you want and why, feel free to bounce ideas off in the forums.

I strongly do recommend reading all of the previous posts, they really are extremely valuable, because it'll give you a better perspective on how things really are.  I've asked and answered questions which have been immensely valuable to me, in terms of gaining that "higher perspective" which is closer to the reality of expatriating to Thailand.  It's not enough to goto Thailand and job hunt, you have to be prepared beforehand, that's my interpretation and advise.  It helps also if you can do some defining of why you want to visit Thailand, why you want to spend your life in a new culture.

Also do remember there is a global economic recession on, and you want to work in Asia with little work experience?  Are you prepared for the repurcussions of that?

You say your very serious?  Your the first person i've actually ever heard say their serious about expatriation to Thailand.  Does serious mean you have a serious desire or have done serous research, learning Thai, started studying some cultural concepts, read a little about the Work permit laws and so forth. I would love to work in Thailand, although I would'nt call myself serious about it.  But you say your "very serious", so I wonder what that means.

Expatriation to me is an intellectual journey, the physical journey is'nt really significant as the mental exploration of a new people, customs, thoughts etc. So many people, just want to move the furthest away from their home town for various reasons, but what they usually don't understand is that their carrying those reasons within them, in other words you won't escape, if your looking for escapism.

As I say, I do strongly suggest reading some previous posts, i've made the same mistake, i'm just glad the forum has caught me and put me back on my feet.  Hope that helps somewhat?

Regards

Thank you DazDaz, you have many interesting thoughts.

When I said I am serious I ment that I am seriously lookin gfor job and I have learnt much about Thailand and about its customers.

In fact I have a webpage: http://tepsuo.vze.com. it's in Finnish but it offers alot of information.

I want to get the hel_l out of Finland!

And by saying that I might sound a little childish but I am serious. Finland seems to be very open and nice but when u step out of Helsinki, you'll notice it's everything but open or nice.

I serously want to get out of this place and Thailand seems to be the #1 place for a guy like me. I have read alot of Thailand and I still do have alot of studying to do, but as I spend 2 months in Thailand I could at least try to work there for awhile!

Great website!  When you said very serious, after some thought, that's what I thought you meant, very serious about moving away.  All the emphasis is on being away, but not as much on where your going to.  Motivation is good, but to be so resolute about leaving somewhere must have some repurcussions.

Every country had good and bad parts.  When I say Thailand is not a panacea, I mean that Thailand has bad parts too.  In fact those bad parts, are in fact extremely bad!!  Far worse then you can imagine or will ever see in Finland.  Is it the people outside of Helsinki, the fact there's little infrastructure or something else that's really so bad?  Or the way in which your interpreting those places/people within Finland that causes you to want to leave so badly?

I really don't want to be nit picky, over your wording, but when you say "Thailand seems to be the #1 place for a guy like me", should'nt you consider #2 and #3 as well.  Thailand has also become the #0 place for many expatriates who've become lost from being sucked into the nightlife, it's like a drug or addiction they can't break free of, a drug more potent than heroine.

From what you've shown us so far, I don't think your ready.  URL collecting is important, useful, but it's not enough.  Why am I saying that?  To save you a lot, lot, lot of grief and pain later on.

Regards

I understand what you're saying but all I really want is a nice warm country, some land, house, dog, cat and a family.

I want to be in peace and be freely who I am.

That seems to be impossible in Finland.

Tepsuo,

what no-one here has told you yet is that it is impossible to work (legally) in Thailand without a work permit. In order to apply for a work permit, you need to have a non-imm B visa. In order to get that visa you need a letter to take to the consulate offering you a job from, for example a school.

It really is difficult as a non-thai to get any kind of work in Thailand, apart from teaching english. But to do that you will need at least a TEFL cert of some kind, plus maybe a degree.

There is of course the option to work illegally when youre in the country on a tourist visa, but if youre caught at that, both you and the people employing you can expect a fine and worse case scenario: jail time.

Its very rare to see places like bars employ foreigners, for various reasons, ill guess a higher taxation is one.

I too am in the situation where i want to live long-term in thailand, as i have a thai girlfriend, but im not in the posistion yet where i can afford to get married etc So, im busting my gut at the moment to get TEFL certified within the next month or so to help me hopefully get a teaching job in Thailand. But, i must make it clear im also doing it because ive always enjoyed training people & get something back out of that career in terms of helping people.

My point is, bust your gut and get teaching qualifications or forget about working legally in thailand. If you can afford to start up your own thai limited company and start a business fair enough, but im guessing youre in the same boat as most of the rest of us.

Take my advice, get some money & a 3 month tourist Visa. Go and live in Bangkok for a few weeks. That will make or break you. Then go and live in the likes of Pattaya. Then move onto Phuket or somewhere like that. Youll see at first hand what its really like, take it from me its a lot different in reality. I had a big culture shock the very first time i went there, which surprised me as ive also lived in Amsterdam.

which takes me to my next point. Going by your reasons of what youre looking for, an easier option for you to investigate, would be moving to Holland, in particular Amsterdam. Its chilled, you can smoke if youre into that, and theres lots of girls if the mood takes you.

Good luck

I know. Thanks.

At 19 ...with little to offer on your part , it is Finland for now...sorry to bear bad news. REALITY THERAPY....would a Thai looking  for work in Finland do well ? FORGET IT UNTIL YOU  ARE MUCH BETTER ABLE TO COPE IN AN ALIEN SOCIETY

Ok, let's try to give a little hope to the guy. Yes, finding a job in Thailand is going to be really hard, and we mean really really hard, but like anything, if you really want it, you can make it ... of course, you do speak, read and write Thai fluently, right ?

To start, you could contact the Thai-Finnish Chamber of Commerce, or their members. List is Here! (Maybe on your list already ?)

I even found a link to the Nordic Studies Center

Then you should fly to Bangkok, enjoy Thailand for one or two months as a tourist, depending on your saving, and then give you 3 months to get The Job. After 3 months, either you have one or more pay checks ... or your ticket back home.

Chock Dee !

You have no idea how things are here in Thailand. Best for you is to visit Thailand as a tourist for at least a couple of year or so and learn about the people,laws,culture and the attitude Thai people has to falangs,that can be quite scary.

I’ve been here,In Pattaya, 19 yrs now and for the first 4 yrs I just try to “learn the country”. Listen to the gays who have been here for a long time, if you don’t you’re soon back in Finland. Just forget about work permit.

:blues:

Hi my friend.  Just read a bit of your quest to go to Thailand and basically enjoy life.  Don't we all love to do this at some point of our lives.  I however do suggest you do follow some of the excellent advice being given to you from some of these people who have lived in Thailand for quite some time, and of their undying interest to help others who want to go to Thailand.  I do tip my hat to these people who are doing us farangs a tremendous service voluntarily and helping us.  I have been in Thailand twice.  Let me give you some insight what my expenses involved on my two past trips.  First trip involved in expenses of approximately 110,000 Baht for only one month.  This included sightseeing, apartment expenses which included electricity, water and security deposits, and then you got transportation, and then you need to eat especially if you have someone with you as your guide, you need to treat them just as well, for their time is valuable too, and so on and so forth.   And please believe me, if you do not have or know someone in Thailand, you are going to be in very serious trouble just trying to find your away around, and where to go precisely.  Heck on my first trip I was lost in almost no time, but fortunately for me I knew two people and that they took good care of me during both of my stays in Thailand.  The second time around, I just started getting the hang of it only in the area where I was staying at.  Once out of that spot, well I was in my friends mercy so to speak. Anyway, on my second trip I stayed for 2 months, and my monthly expenses came out to being around 65,000 Baht a month.  This time I did not do as much yet when it comes down to it, believe the Consulates when they tell you that you need to have at least a steady income of 65,000 Baht a month just to survive in Thailand.   Many of these great guys will tell you a lot of foreigners end up going broke within a couple of years depending on their money supply and many of them do not have an income to supplement their losses.   Am I right fellas?    As for me I am an Expert in Automotive Repairs, and also in Jet Engines, and 747 Aircraft!   Yet even with this kind of experience just as well as being a home mechanic mind you, and also can make furniture of any sort, plus a few other skills, getting that job in Thailand is like asking for a miracle.  With your particular skills you will be looking at your pockets empty within two months.  It does not matter which country you want to go to, you better have a decent piggy bank cause to travel and live in other places certainly will be dipping into your piggy bank and with the regulations going on now a days, it can literally deflate your desires awful quick.  I suspect you have another reason to leave Finland, and it might be something to do with the Thai women.  Talk about culture shock, Thai people are completely different, and oh heck yes, try learning to read their language, besides speaking it, is like out of this world.  Like one of them said it took him 4 years just to learn their culture all by itself.   Hey, no one said it is easy, but whew, I am scared of your plans and intentions especially of your reasons etc.   If you do go to Thailand, I do hope you have some reserve money back at home in Finland, and make sure you got a return ticket paid in full, because I just know you will be broke in no time.  In USA at 42 Baht to the Dollar, 65,000 Baht is $1,547.61 (Dollars per month staying in an Apartment.  Understand.  Two months you will need over 3,000 Dollars.  If you still go, watch out you will then need money in Thai account plus in your home town, just to meet the Non-immigrant regulations itself.   If I was you, best stay at home for now, and plan doing something like this maybe 25 years later down the road.  No offense but this is reality check for you never the less.  I am 50 years old, and for me I am set yet it is still difficult to live in Thailand with money being spent like there is no tomorrow.  Get my point.  Take care, and good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

""I understand what you're saying but all I really want is a nice warm country, some land, house, dog, cat and a family.

I want to be in peace and be freely who I am.

That seems to be impossible in Finland. ""

Remember to add "at this time" to the above statement as everything changes. And with little experience in your own country, what makes you think you will even "like" a different country, particularly after the first time you get ripped off and don't even realize it until  a time afterward?

"Some land a house, family" is something most everyone would say the same. The common mantra from the women on my penpal site in Vietnam is " I want a better life" to which I reply " define better life" and what are you willing to do as well as give up for your rendition of a better life?

Seems to me that you are a long way from making any critical decisions with regards to something as serious and as difficult in moving to a  new country when you have yet to find your stride where you are.

Save a few bucks and get on an airplane and go. Rent a place for 6 months and after you try to get some of your personal things moved with you, then the reality may start to set in and you will have a completely different viewpoint than what you have right now. And maybe you'll be one of the very few that say, yeh, this is it and give it a continued whirl.

Best of luck in whatever the case, but seriously, think, plan, save and then take action. Hek, at 19, what do you have to lose?  ???

SINGA    It is a permitted occupation provided that IT is not noi and the Sami aforesaid mee lang  and other tricks of the

' trade '  That Chinese fellow Wun Hung Lo was unsuccesful although it is said that he was  optimistic as to his chances   of success,  so much so that he went into partnership with Senor Gigolo the Italian stud.

Despite what it says above, you don't need to speak good Thai to work here.

However, I do think trying things out as a tourist is a good first step. Stay somewhere around other tourists. Bring a credit card and your parents' phone number.

One thing that has not been mentioned so far is going to school here in Thailand.  There are a number of university programs in English (Sorry, I know of none in Finnish), and if you have the funds it may be a good way to get a formal and non-formal education.  Perhaps more importantly, you will meet many people, and gain more opportunities, rather than trying an approach of just coming here and hoping for the best.  You can live on a lot less as a young single guy than one with a family if you have some self control and don;t get carried away by the lovely ladies.  And you might just luck out and meet the right one from a good family as a classmate or via classmate networking.  But if you just come here hoping for a job and don't have the skills or the capital that the Thai government deems necessary, you are going to at a minimum waste your money, possible end up broke, and regret the decision.    If you want to send me a separate email ,[email protected]> I'll send you a lot of information on schools here.