Selling old coins in Chiang mai

nellar

Hello. My boyfriend has come across a rare old Thai coin handed down from his family. We are looking to sell it in Chiang Mai but are unsure where we can sell.  It has been valued at roughly  280,000 baht and want to make sure we get a good deal.  Any recommendations would be appreciated. 

IMG_25591010_113021.jpg

IMG_25591010_113010.jpg

I'll give you 28 Baht for it. Unless you can find a numismatic collector or a reputable auction - you are unlikely to get anything like its value through sale; dealers generally pay way below valuation so that they can make a profit when they finally find someone to buy it for their collection. 

I dont want to burst your bubble, but coins can be a bit like cars. They are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them.

My other half (God bless her soul) also has a rather large collection of old coins from various parts of the world. She believes thay are worth a small fortune (And maybe they are).  I always get reports from her about certain coins that are worth this much and that much, however when I ask if thats an auction or asking price versus an actual sold price there lies a valid point.

There is quite often a huge difference between the 2.  Age does not always signify value.  Some of the main components that affect value are,  how many were in circulation and condition of the coin(s).  Your coin looks very worn and this can count against its value.  (However one of the henious crimes in the numismatic world is when an individual brings in a coin which they have cleaned/polished.... it devalues the coin tremendously).

I hope you manage to find an acreddited valuer and good luck with any future sale.

Edited by CMKiwi
Edit

The coin looks quite worn. That can really count against it's value as has been suggested. Bangkok would be a better venue to try and sell it. I doubt you would get anywhere close to 280K, however....

They are very helpful at the Treasury Pavilion. You might try and get some info there. (They are also very hopeful that you will buy some coins from them). They are even more helpful if you buy a coin, then ask for their help...

I think someone has been telling you porkies - " It has been valued at roughly  280,000 baht "

This one listed on Ebay is in a lot better condition than yours, and it is on sale for 35 Baht.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/262132765614?vectorid=229466&lgeo=1&item=262132765614&rmvSB=true

No coin that was minted in such large numbers would be that valuable.

Number minted - 883,086,000

Sorry.   :-(

Edited by muzmurray