One Year On -Thanks to So Many on this Forum

Manassas

Looking at the calendar it's been about one year since my wife and I set up a home on her family land near Chiang Rai. I had traveled extensively in my work and visited her village many times, so on retirement when she asked if we could make her land our home base I was confident it wouldn't take too much effort. But there's a big difference between visiting and living!  I underestimated the paper mountain of visa issues, the great scavenger hunt of shopping for things in Chiang Rai, and the hundred headaches of house building to name a few.

But now my paperwork is in order, our little bungalow is built and we've settled in to our village life. All this was made much easier by using this forum to seek out information and advice. So thanks to all who are generous enough to share their experience of living in Chiang Rai. And for all you old-timers - remember the next time a newcomer asks about how to get a driver's license etc etc - while it may be mundane to you, when you respond with useful information it is an enormous help to new residents and greatly appreciated!   

Cheers

Just remember that having successfully established yourself as a resident of Chiang Rai, you are now a valuable source of relevant information about Chiang Rai.  Compared to the newcomers you are now an old-timer with lots of valuable experiences to share which are still fresh in your mind.  I hope you will be more active on the forum.

You do have a lovely place in a nice rural setting.

3 hours ago, raro said:

Glad to see that thaivisaCRnwas able to assist you.  I for one wouldn't be married without the knowledge I gathered on this forum. 

About dating Thai women??

Joking.  Good to hear you're happily established In CR.

Edited by F4UCorsair

I enjoyed seeing the words "home base" which is what I thought I was setting up 15 years ago... I had been rather unsettled and did more than my share of travel. 

For my wife, it was simply "home" - - and what has followed has been many pleasures of family life, dogs, we have raised a niece as our own daughter, and both immediate and extended family are nice people. Being in the village has become an important part of my life. I hope for you it is equally fulfilling.

And good for you that you are the type to be appreciative... I wish you great luck. 

I have been a member of TV for many years as I plan my retirement in Sattahip, which will happen next year. The forum has been an enormously helpful source for me and for many other friends of mine and for that I am very grateful to other users and to the management of TV. I also hope that in a small way I have passed on information that has been useful to others. 

My one gripe and it's a rather big one, are the number of trolls on the forums who take any chance to be negative, about Thailand, about Thai females, about living in the place and about the people. They even gripe all the time about fellow Forum users. I'm not sure why this happens, maybe they are just sad lonely disappointed people who can't help themselves. I just wish they would stop! 

43 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I have been a member of TV for many years as I plan my retirement in Sattahip, which will happen next year. The forum has been an enormously helpful source for me and for many other friends of mine and for that I am very grateful to other users and to the management of TV. I also hope that in a small way I have passed on information that has been useful to others. 

My one gripe and it's a rather big one, are the number of trolls on the forums who take any chance to be negative, about Thailand, about Thai females, about living in the place and about the people. They even gripe all the time about fellow Forum users. I'm not sure why this happens, maybe they are just sad lonely disappointed people who can't help themselves. I just wish they would stop! 

Hi Pilot - - Some of the trolls post quite often, so, their presence is strongly felt.

I recently had an exchange with one of the often angry, haters. I kept him engaged and kept it civil. What it boiled down to was this - I feel privileged that I am able to retire here and enjoy living in a country that is not my own. Because I feel privileged to be able to live here, the few things I have to do, like 90 day reporting, are minimal and meaningless to me. 

In contrast, he feels that Thailand should be privileged to have him here [because he spends money here] and therefore, they should bend over backwards to make his life easy. 90 day reports are a burden for him. 

So, you get the personality type? I think most people retired here are quite happy. Welcome and enjoy your retirement. 

3 hours ago, kenk24 said:
3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Hi Pilot - - Some of the trolls post quite often, so, their presence is strongly felt.

I recently had an exchange with one of the often angry, haters. I kept him engaged and kept it civil. What it boiled down to was this - I feel privileged that I am able to retire here and enjoy living in a country that is not my own. Because I feel privileged to be able to live here, the few things I have to do, like 90 day reporting, are minimal and meaningless to me. 

In contrast, he feels that Thailand should be privileged to have him here [because he spends money here] and therefore, they should bend over backwards to make his life easy. 90 day reports are a burden for him. 

So, you get the personality type? I think most people retired here are quite happy. Welcome and enjoy your retirement.

Whilst I agree with the points you made, may I add that, IMO, there may be another factor at work.

I think that many full time foreigners do not have a sufficiently wide social circle of compatible people.

They do not have enough opportunity to have deep meaningful conversations in their natural language and become unbearably frustrated over time.

Then they seem to use TVF as a place to vent their frustration and/or get the attention they seek.

When I first joined TVF I was appalled at many of the posts and said so in my replies.

Old hands suggested that in time, I would get used to them.

How true, I seldom get wound up by troll posts nowadays.

If it were not for the helpful info which is provided on TVF by it's members, many of us would lost in the mine field of bureaucracy which is so difficult to comprehend.

Especially when it is written in such a difficult to understand language like Thai.

To have others share their experience and knowledge is a great blessing.

As Villagefarang posted:

The OP is the local expert now - with accurate and current information.

Looking forward to reading your future helpful posts.

Cheers

5 hours ago, laislica said:

Whilst I agree with the points you made, may I add that, IMO, there may be another factor at work.

I think that many full time foreigners do not have a sufficiently wide social circle of compatible people.

They do not have enough opportunity to have deep meaningful conversations in their natural language and become unbearably frustrated over time.

Then they seem to use TVF as a place to vent their frustration and/or get the attention they seek.

When I first joined TVF I was appalled at many of the posts and said so in my replies.

If it were not for the helpful info which is provided on TVF by it's members, many of us would lost in the mine field of bureaucracy which is so difficult to comprehend.

Especially when it is written in such a difficult to understand language like Thai.

As Villagefarang posted:

Cheers

I like the trolls, the forum is a mirror of everyday life. Mostly good people and a few cockroaches. They keep me in touch with how not to think.

17 hours ago, laislica said:

As Villagefarang posted:

Cheers

Agreed.  The majority of expats you meet on the ground are actually quite helpful most of the time.  They usually do not frequent TVF often because of the perceived negativity.  But they have things going on in their real lives also, so that consumes most of the time.

...And for all you old-timers - remember the next time a newcomer asks about how to get a driver's license etc etc - while it may be mundane to you, when you respond with useful information it is an enormous help to new residents and greatly appreciated!   

OP should now create a guide to answer some frequently asked questions about the area where he is staying.  It's a lot easier now as google maps now has a 'my maps' ability to markup a custom map quickly online.   It cuts down on the PMs and having to resend the same information to multiple people.

It's good to know you didn't forget where you came from.

4 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

Agreed.  The majority of expats you meet on the ground are actually quite helpful most of the time.  They usually do not frequent TVF often because of the perceived negativity.  But they have things going on in their real lives also, so that consumes most of the time.

OP should now create a guide to answer some frequently asked questions about the area where he is staying.  It's a lot easier now as google maps now has a 'my maps' ability to markup a custom map quickly online.   It cuts down on the PMs and having to resend the same information to multiple people.

It's good to know you didn't forget where you came from.

There is a pinned map at the top of the page and I am guessing there are a few other maps floating around.  Here is mine. My Map

13 hours ago, villagefarang said:

There is a pinned map at the top of the page and I am guessing there are a few other maps floating around.  Here is mine. My Map

Nice map! With our construction finished I'm hoping to start exploring north Thailand. From using google there are lots of good day trips and hidden resorts I want to explore. 

But I'm afraid making a map is likely beyond my IT ability. 555

2 hours ago, Manassas said:

....But I'm afraid making a map is likely beyond my IT ability. 555

If you can use google maps,  you can use my maps to add markers and comments to an existing map location. 

I was actually suggesting a guide/FAQ of things to do and find that most new expats would likely find useful.  The map(s)  is just to help make the referencing easier to find.  I had to take multiple screenshots,  stitch them together,  and then mark them up in a photo editor,  but that was 4-5 years ago. Google maps has come a long way and it is easier now. 

Even if you dont want to make a custom map,  you can still use markers,  directions,  or click on a specific location and "share" it,  which will generate short url that link to that exact location.  

Edited by 4evermaat