Hunt on as 27 tourists go missing in jungle of Kao Yai

webfact

Hunt on as 27 tourists go missing in jungle of Kao Yai

p2.jpg

Image: Daily News

NAKHON NAYOK: -- National park authorities and foundation workers are mounting a search after 27 tourists went missing on Sunday.

The fate of the group is unknown.

They set off from the waterfall of Haew Krathin within the Khao Yai national park on Friday and were due to reach the waterfall called Klong Madua in neighboring Nakorn Nayok province on Sunday, reports Daily News.

But they did not arrive and they are out of contact. They are believed to all be on foot.

Park staff are coordinating efforts with the Por Teck Tung foundation in an effort to trace the missing tourists.

The nationality of the tourists was not stated in the report.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-10-11

As part of miltary training with a company of Gurkhas, we did similar in 1988. Despite our adept skills vis-a-vis navigation and survival techniques, we hired a Thai guide, just in case. Belt and braces is always the best approach.

Glad to hear they have been found as it could have been a very unpleasant ending.

Lost jungle hiking team rescue after going astray in Khao Yai

2cd2e5c932831f26a41642ab7e49d745-wpcf_72

NAKHON NAYOK: -- A team of 23 tourists went astray as they hiked through the mountainous area in Khao Yai national park since October 7 was rescued and returned safely today.

Khao Yai national park officials said all the tourists were picked up by officials and rescue team this morning.

They went lost after setting off from the Saraburi side of the national park to the Nakhon Nayok side on a three day hike.

They said they went lost after there was heavy rain forcing them to change the trekking route.

They set off on October 7 from Klong Madua waterfall in tambon Sarika, and scheduled to arrive at Haew Krathin waterfall on October 9.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/lost-jungle-hiking-team-rescue-going-astray-khao-yai/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-10-11

2 hours ago, taichiplanet said:

another made up story to sell the use of trackable phone SIM cards! :smile:  

Just joking; glad they are safe and now have an adventure story.

Yes but it would have been better if they were out there for another couple of days: a better story for the grand kids.

Only 18 tourists in the photo.

They must have gotten real hungry to eat 6 of their friends in less than a week.

Kidding aside, great to read about a happy outcome!

Something wrong with Thai Visa.

I can't see a photo or any reference in this thread to them being found.

Edit: ok I have found the post, but it comes after your posting about the photo.

14 minutes ago, cruisemonkey said:

They did have a compass, but thought it was broken because no matter what they did the needle kept pointing in the same direction.

only one compass amongst 2O+ people. Should they also not carry warning devices like flares and heavy duty communication equipment. or was it a case of over confidence - "nothing is going to happen to me"

I've been on numerous treks over the years but I always take a GPS with me and spare batteries. The GPS is used to track my route and if we get disorientated it has a backtrack function to retrace our route, never needed it yet but it's good to know how far we've walked and in what direction from our start location.

In the past, some maps were useless in the jungle.  If they were made by aeronautical surveys, the maps did not accurately reflect the topography of the the terrain.  The terrain being hidden by the jungle canopy.  

With the advance of technology of today, current maps may not have the same errors as they did 30-50 years ago..