Raw meat diet for dogs

Living in Thailand, does anyone have a good raw meat 'recipe' for dogs?

Raw chicken isn't ideal as it may encourage them to kill chickens?

Minced beef is easy to find, and cooking chicken will hopefully  get rid of the food association towards living chickens.

I think raw pork is bad for dogs ?

And what needs to be added to the 'raw meat' diet for other nutrients?

Any advice would be appreciated.

My dog is on raw diet and he eats raw chicken as part of it and has never eaten or chased a live chicken in the same way he wouldn't try and take down a cow after eating beef :) 

Chicken is fine but some dogs are allergic to chicken so may be trial and error.  Mine eats feet,  carcass,  necks etc for the bones too

If you cook the chicken DO Not Feed ANY cooked bones of any animal

Pork is ok raw as long as it is frozen (then defrosted) before eats it as the freezing kills the bugs

Oil for skin is a good thing to add,  cod liver,  coconut or salmon for example.. 

Different breeds are more picky to allergies and may need supplements more than others.. 

Fruit and vegetables are OK as is offal but with the fruit and veg make sure you look up if dog friendly as grapes and onions for example are toxic and can be lethal

Edited by swbaggies

I wouldn't give raw meat, I mean you can they are built for it, but I still wouldn't do it. 

Feeding a dog chicken will not make them chicken aggressive lol 

Dogs can eat some raw bones but NEVER cooked bones. There are some common sense rules to it like small sharp bones. Uncooked bones crumble and cooked bones splinter. 

Dont go from a dog food diet to a raw or cooked diet immediately. Gradually change it over a couple weeks cause its likely to cause gastric upset. 

I don't feed anything but dry "Taste of the Wild" 2x a day and never free feed. 

Fish in general is good but some fish including SALMON should not be fed raw due to parasites

" Believe it or not, dogs are the only species out there to be at risk of catching salmonpoisoning disease if they eat raw salmon fish. Salmon poisoning in dogs is commonly seen in dogs that consume raw salmon fish, as such fish are usually infected with the parasite Nanophyetus salmincola. "

Source. http://ultimatehomelife.com/can-dogs-eat-salmon-and-is-salmon-good-for-dogs/

Edited by swbaggies

1 hour ago, swbaggies said:

Fish in general is good but some fish including SALMON should not be fed raw due to parasites

" Believe it or not, dogs are the only species out there to be at risk of catching salmonpoisoning disease if they eat raw salmon fish. Salmon poisoning in dogs is commonly seen in dogs that consume raw salmon fish, as such fish are usually infected with the parasite Nanophyetus salmincola. "

Source. http://ultimatehomelife.com/can-dogs-eat-salmon-and-is-salmon-good-for-dogs/

This parasite is a parasite of the decadent culture of the United States of America and its lick-spittle neighbours.  In free world is not problem.

Living in glorious democracy that is Thailand, our dogs can freely eat of the salmon fish without fear of developing imperialist disease.

Source from treacherous, bourgeoise online dictionary:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanophyetus_salmincola

Many thanks everyone for all the useful advice.

I hadn't thought about fish, but will give it a go.

Because dogs are so smell oreinted, I was concerned about raw chicken as one (possibly two) of my dogs have killed chicken and chicks previously....  So its good to know that they won't make the association between the raw (dead) food and live chickens.

I'll look up the BARF website.

Cod liver oil is a great idea.

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2016 at 9:58 AM, snowgard said:

Don't feed your dog with raw pork meat. It can have a bad end.
http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/infection/pseudorabies-aujeszkys-disease-in-dogs

This virus not die complete in frozen meat.

I gather raw pork has to be frozen for 3 months before being safe for dogs?

I started this thread (a while ago) because one of my dogs has cancer and read that a raw meat diet is better for dogs.

Since then I've discovered (personal experience with sick dog) that

1) cod liver oil is difficult/impossible to find locally - without orange/flavouring being added to make it more palatable for humans and

2) my sick dog either prefers (or perhaps is just used to) cooked chicken - and so when feeling ill, won't eat raw chicken.

3) Sick dog eats fish when she is feeling well (ignores it when feeling unwell) - other dogs aren't interested in raw fish.

4) My healthy dogs love raw meat, including chicken.

Its difficult to decide what is best as I've no doubt that chicken (and pork) here are battery farmed, full of antibiotics and various other unwanted medications/hormones etc. etc. :sad:

On October 11, 2016 at 6:20 AM, swbaggies said:

It has been common practice for as long as Inuits have kept sled dogs or guard dogs that the dogs are fed salmon. In fact, these are called "Dog" Salmon (Chum Salmon). 

The fish are fed fresh (or after having been dried)  in the short summer months and naturally frozen the vast majority of the year and must be thawed. The freezing process may help prevent what your link discusses.  Whole salmon are thrown to the dogs or large chunks with bones still intact.

Salmon is an excellent food source for dogs.

Here is an article on Alaskan sled dogs and salmon diet:

https://www.adn.com/outdoors/article/without-salmon-feed-there-might-be-very-few-alaskan-huskies/2015/08/27/

Edited by ClutchClark

13 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

It has been common practice for as long as Inuits have kept sled dogs or guard dogs that the dogs are fed salmon. In fact, these are called "Dog" Salmon (Chum Salmon). 

The fish are fed fresh (or after having been dried)  in the short summer months and naturally frozen the vast majority of the year and must be thawed. The freezing process may help prevent what your link discusses.  Whole salmon are thrown to the dogs or large chunks with bones still intact.

Salmon is an excellent food source for dogs.

Here is an article on Alaskan sled dogs and salmon diet:

https://www.adn.com/outdoors/article/without-salmon-feed-there-might-be-very-few-alaskan-huskies/2015/08/27/

Presumably wild salmon, as opposed to farmed salmon?

54 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

I rather doubt that "chum" means "dog" in this context.

"Chum" is an American English word meaning "chopped fish, fish fluids, and other material thrown overboard as angling bait" - possibly derived from the Scots "chum" meaning "food".

It may also be derived from Chinook, "tzum," meaning "spotted" as in the Chinook "tzum samon" (Spotted Salmon, Oncorhynchus keta).

11 minutes ago, Oxx said:

I rather doubt that "chum" means "dog" in this context.

"Chum" is an American English word meaning "chopped fish, fish fluids, and other material thrown overboard as angling bait" - possibly derived from the Scots "chum" meaning "food".

It may also be derived from Chinook, "tzum," meaning "spotted" as in the Chinook "tzum samon" (Spotted Salmon, Oncorhynchus keta).

Poor typing on my part.

The two names are not connected in origin except they both suggest the least favored salmon for human consumption.

Chum having been given for the reasons you mention above.

Dog having been given to differentiate it from the 4 other salmon found in AK as being the type given to the dogs. 

But no shared etymology

My only point was that salmon is a great food source for dogs....and bears !

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

Presumably wild salmon, as opposed to farmed salmon?

DD,

I think most commercial dog foods advertising salmon would be farm raised but the dogs in AK would be receiving wild caught salmon and enjoy the benefits of much higher Omega-3's and no antibiotics. 

Same reason you & I opt for the wild, eh? 

A few recent threads about sick and dying dogs in Thailand. LOS is sure an inhospitable environment for a dog. Hate to hear you guys have to bear the pain of seeing your dogs suffer through such hardships.

Hi.  My dogs ate raw diet for many years.  Now I am lazy and they have about half raw and half any dry dog food that is on offer.

I don't believe the raw diet is this super healthy thing people say.   But I do believe its got a few real benefits..... mainly..... clean teeth and no bad breath.... and dogs really enjoy spending a log time chewing up big raw bones... so keeps them from getting bored.

Eating raw chicken does not make them want to eat live ones!!!!  I have chickens and also feed me dog raw chickens. 

You should feed a good variety and raw meets.. they can eat anything. 

Its not dangerous for food poisoning same as us cooking raw meat.. just wash you hands after handling the meat... something you should do when you make you own dinner.

I feed my dogs outside.. otherwise I found they like to sneak off with a big bone and chew it up on the sofa.. which is not very clean!!!

You don't need to cut up the meat or mix it with anything like vegetables etc.. just throw them a big chuck of meat on the bone and let them work on it.

Another thing they like is raw eggs.  Again just give them an egg in the shell to eat.  Also feed some offal for extra nutrients. 

I recommend you research the BARF diet.... I find the most simple diet plans are the best.

Remember to keep up worming you dog..... something even dogs of processed diets need. 

3 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Hi.  My dogs ate raw diet for many years.  Now I am lazy and they have about half raw and half any dry dog food that is on offer.

I don't believe the raw diet is this super healthy thing people say.   But I do believe its got a few real benefits..... mainly..... clean teeth and no bad breath.... and dogs really enjoy spending a log time chewing up big raw bones... so keeps them from getting bored.

Eating raw chicken does not make them want to eat live ones!!!!  I have chickens and also feed me dog raw chickens. 

Its not dangerous for food poisoning same as us cooking raw meat.. just wash you hands after handling the meat... something you should do when you make you own dinner.

I feed my dogs outside.. otherwise I found they like to sneak off with a big bone and chew it up on the sofa.. which is not very clean!!!

You don't need to cut up the meat or mix it with anything like vegetables etc.. just throw them a big chuck of meat on the bone and let them work on it.

Another thing they like is raw eggs.  Again just give them an egg in the shell to eat.  Also feed some offal for extra nutrients. 

I recommend you research the BARF diet.... I find the most simple diet plans are the best.

Remember to keep up worming you dog..... something even dogs of processed diets need. 

Excellent post start to finish.

42 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

DD,

I think most commercial dog foods advertising salmon would be farm raised but the dogs in AK would be receiving wild caught salmon and enjoy the benefits of much higher Omega-3's and no antibiotics. 

Same reason you & I opt for the wild, eh? 

A few recent threads about sick and dying dogs in Thailand. LOS is sure an inhospitable environment for a dog. Hate to hear you guys have to bear the pain of seeing your dogs suffer through such hardships.

Except I've yet to find organic meat in Thailand :sad:.

Apart from salmon, which is sold in Villa Market - but very expensive for one dog, let alone four!

Back in the UK it was easy to buy organic meat - here impossible.

28 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Agree with most of your post (as you say, the dogs love to eat their bones/large chunks of meat on the sofa!), but here in Thailand I'm yet to be convinced that the factory farmed meat isn't full of chemicals/hormones etc.  Mind you, I feel the same way about Western factory-farmed meat - to a lesser extent.

Unfortunately all my dogs ignore the free-range chicken eggs I've given them :sad:.

1 minute ago, Oxx said:

Isn't that just racial prejudice?

Betagro products are hormone, growth promoter and antibiotic free.

http://www.betagro.com/food/en

I think its simply acknowledging that Inspection and Enforcement practices are pretty poor in Thailand by Western standards.

Better to be politically incorrect and remain healthy than PC and sick.