Monks behaving badly -  abbot caught attacking dogs, claims fellow monk

webfact

Monks behaving badly -  abbot caught attacking dogs, claims fellow monk

a2.jpg

Picture: Sanook

CHACHOENGSAO: -- Claims have been made online that an abbot at a well known temple in Chachoengsao attacked and killed a dog.

The claim against the abbot - Phra Atikarnbadikittipong Sumankhalo, 51, - was made in a post made online and followed up by a visit to the police, reports Sanook.

The alleged attack was made by a fellow monk called Phra Suphachai who said he saw the abbot take a stick to a dog and kill it.

The abbot was later pictured throwing a dog in the Bang Pakong river.

Now the abbot has hit back at the claims saying that he is a good monk and knows all about sin. He admitted that a dog did die but it was not intentional.

He said that he had picked up a broom to stop a fight between dogs and one had died. He was not sure whether it died from being hit by the broom he was holding or by a bite from another animal.

Anyway, he buried the dog by the side of the temple, Wat Hua Sai in the Chachoengsao region east of Bangkok.

Asked about the images of throwing a dog in the river he said that was not a sin at all. He was helping the dog that had fleas and ticks - the dog would swim to the side and shake off the infestation.

In a latest development the abbot has claimed defamation at the hands of the monk who posted the pictures and made comments about him online.

The other monk said what he saw was a sin and disgusting.

Police are to interview both the abbot and the poster of the clip to see if there is a case to answer either way.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-10-13

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Monk behaving badly, surely not monks are good decent honest men :cheesy:

Every day you see reports about monks raping/ murdering / stealing / abusing animals.

Yet people still show respect, give hard earned money to them WHY?

Same reason people play the lottery. In the hope they'll get a windfall of cash.

Least with the lottery there is a chance. 

People say people will be people, but what is so hypocritical about monks being 'like people' is that they are, supposedly, above all that and DO NOT desire. This 'monk' desires to harm a dog because it is annoying him? He lies that he didn't throw the dog in the water because he desires not to look bad. He takes the defamation angle because he desires to cover up his wrongdoing. This person is not a monk. He is just a normal, everyday lowlife that deserves as much respect as other wrongdoers and liars -- ie, none.

1 hour ago, yellowboat said:

Sadly such institutions attract the best and worse of society.  Putting the dead dog in the river is not good for the river either. 

If only the best and the worst were in equal measure, that wouldn't be a problem.

Crafty defense, you don't get to be abbot by being stupid......

It clearly looks like it could be a fabricated story by a monk who have some anger towards the Abbot....

In the first picture the front paws are hanging down, but in the second pic the front paws are raised....

And look at the two pups in the first picture behind the Abbot, seems it is the same litter. And if that is the pup that was fighting, I am surprised because pups do not fight to the death.

Edited by AlQaholic

"... He admitted that a dog did die but it was not intentional..."

Now, where have I heard something similar?

Oh yes, that's right "...he did not commit suicide but someone might have made him die..." (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/944361-thai-police-thawatchai-was-dead-because-someone-did-it-to-him/#comment-11172785).

I'd say no one has been surprised that Sumankhalo would claim defamation.

"...The other monk said what he saw was a sin and disgusting..." - and I'm sure most would agree (if it is true). Unfortunately for Suphachai, even though he alleges that he saw the abbot "...take a stick to a dog and kill it...", he is going to need something a bit more substantial than his good name if he is to avoid being convicted of defaming Sumankhalo.

Even then, he will have to hope that Section 330 of the Criminal Code can be applied:

In case of defamation, if the person prosecuted for defamation can prove that the imputation made by him is true, he shall not be punished.But he shall not be allowed to prove if such imputation concerns personal matters, and such proof will not be benefit to the public.

As for "helping" the other dog into the river - well, let's hope that dog was able to "...shake off the infestation..." !!!

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Every day you see reports about monks raping/ murdering / stealing / abusing animals.

I suppose it's because we only hear about the rogue Monks ....not a reason to tar them all with the one brush..... 

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

WHY INDEED!!!!!  :sad:

Monks with iPhones... wiki monks.... ?

but what I want to know is, should either party win a defamation case, who pays the court costs... and who makes the defamation payout? 

the same monastery, given neither have money, being monks and all?

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

because the practice has been down the generations.

3 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Sadly such institutions attract the best and worse of society.  Putting the dead dog in the river is not good for the river either. 

definitely not eco friendly and for sure the carcass will be become a serious pollutant.

7 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Monks with iPhones... wiki monks.... ?

but what I want to know is, should either party win a defamation case, who pays the court costs... and who makes the defamation payout? 

the same monastery, given neither have money, being monks and all?

i wonder how they come to own and bear the charges for the operation of the phone as the monks are not supposed to be own material things.

1 hour ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

this will cause more outrage than a kid getting rabies from a street dog. street dogs are pests and need to be culled. the Buddha rule of not killing anything just makes sinners out of all of us.

there were very few PESTS in the time of Buddha. 

2 hours ago, doremifasol said:

The robe doesn't make the monk

and doesn't prove a noble heart......

I agree entirely but try expaining that to a Thai. 

Some years ago I had this discussion with an old TGF. According to her ALL monks must be respected. I countered that if you take a scumbag Thai male and put him in an orange robe you don't have a wise holy man, you just have a scumbag in an orange robe. But she wouldn't or couldn't accept that.