Are there more backpackers in Sukhumvit area or Khao san?

adam0702

Hi guys,

I'm starting a 3 month long trip to SE Asia and plan to visit Thailand, Cambodia and Laos. What is the best way to meet other backpackers in Bangkok? I can't really afford a planned tour with the big companies and would prefer my freedom. What are the best bars / hostels to meet other backpackers in Bangkok who are solo? Are there more backpackers in Sukhumvit area or Khao san? Is there any bar crawls I go on to get chatting to people?  I've came across a website introbackpacking.com which offer inductions but would prefer to do it myself. 

Thank in advance for any help. :-))
Adam 

You don't need a package or something if you are familiar with some small travel experience.

For backpackers that is the Khao san area. In the Sukhumvit area there are more normal tourists and persons who are looking for girls. So therefore sukhumvit is more expensive that Khao san.

Khao san area also have many bars there where you can find other backpackers and share knowledge.

The biggest backpacker area is still Khao San road, but there are lot of hostel all around Bangkok - silom has a few. Best place / bars to meet other backpackers is Khao San area.

Once in a while there will be someone hosting a bar crawl, but its not that common. Best bet is to meet friends at khao san and plan something together. There are no official venue, or people that organizes it on a weekly basis, not much of a demand. But you should search for it on google, it pops up once in a while.

• 4 weeks later...

When in BKK we stay in Sukhumvit (we're a couple) as it makes more sense for us for BTS / nicer hotels etc... but we always venture down to Khao San for a look in the evenings and a few drinks. Every night we went there, we'd be sitting on the street minding our own business and within minutes we'd strike up conversations with other backpackers.

If travelling solo and you want to meet people, i'd be inclined to stay in Khao San, i'm sure there's plenty of nice places close-by.