Claiming Australia aged pension - advice?

37 minutes ago, halloween said:

A little remedial reading and comprehension would help you, I'm sure. I have owned several homes in Oz, I rent in Thailand, and rent there is very cheap.

I was replying to a poster who claims to spend $100/fn on food in oz. That will not buy a lot of prawns there. However on Samui, I,  buy them straight off the boat, quite cheaply too.

My g/f is an excellent cook, and I eat 99% of my meals at home. But I have many friends who eat out, and haven't observed any great incidence of food related illness. Do you think that oz restaurants are immune from causing illness?

You can have  thailand to your self .

owened several homes dose no mean much dose it .

it is when you own several home out right, then you are talking.

no one buys prawns every day do they .

i can live on $100 a week for food very easy by my self .

i cook at home all the time , not like going to restaurant much in Australia, yes thai  restaurant are a lot cheaper I agree. 

yes you can get sick from restaurant in Australia,but if you do you can  sue them and get a pay out , not like thailand I get sick all the f??? Time and now very, very careful were I go and eat in thai restaurant.

you can't  compere thailand with Australia , it is like trying to compere black and white.

Thailand is 3 Rd world and will stay like that for a long time .

Edited by georgemandm
Spelling
  • Like 1
41 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

You can have  thailand to your self .

owened several homes dose no mean much dose it .

it is when you own several home out right, then you are talking.

no one buys prawns every day do they .

i can live on $100 a week for food very easy by my self .

i cook at home all the time , not like going to restaurant much in Australia, yes thai  restaurant are a lot cheaper I agree. 

yes you can get sick from restaurant in Australia,but if you do you can  sue them and get a pay out , not like thailand I get sick all the f??? Time and now very, very careful were I go and eat in thai restaurant.

you can't  compere thailand with Australia , it is like trying to compere black and white.

Thailand is 3 Rd world and will stay like that for a long time .

I withdraw my comment, as even a  lot remedial reading and comprehension wouldn't help you.

I don't need several homes, one is sufficient, and the rent I pay is less than the rates on a home in a similar location in oz.

I can AFFORD to buy prawns every day. On one occasion I found my g/f peeling green prawns and feeding them to our dog.

The figure quoted was $100/fortnight. I don't care what you can do with twice that amount.

If you cook at home all the time, why slag Thai restaurants? Cook for yourself.

Yes Thailand is 3rd world, much cheaper and with far less nanny state rules and regulations, and much lower taxation. If you don't like it stay away.

48 minutes ago, halloween said:

I withdraw my comment, as even a  lot remedial reading and comprehension wouldn't help you.

I don't need several homes, one is sufficient, and the rent I pay is less than the rates on a home in a similar location in oz.

I can AFFORD to buy prawns every day. On one occasion I found my g/f peeling green prawns and feeding them to our dog.

The figure quoted was $100/fortnight. I don't care what you can do with twice that amount.

Yes Thailand is 3rd world, much cheaper and with far less nanny state rules and regulations, and much lower taxation. If you don't like it stay away.

You have no idea about life if you have 

to quite your gf all the time , grow up .

like I say you can have that ???? Hole .

nanny state , now that is a joke you live in a nanny state in thailand  , in Australia I have freedom of  speech and not have to report like a  criminal like you .

you are one more of the 99% who go to thailand for their thai gf or wife .

good you Pay rent in to someones hands and help that someone get free money from you , i am to smart to pay someone money for free , not like you .

i don't like it and I do stay away from that ????  Hole and you stay away from Australia and don't come back when you are to sick and old for a free hand out , sta

YOU pay taxes in Thailand (apart from VAT)??
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, halloween said:

I guess you get threated like a mushroom over there fed on bull&&&& and kept in the dark and guess what

I can afford prawns everyday too and they are fresh from the ocean not like the crap you get in Thailand

On 12/26/2016 at 8:02 PM, White Christmas13 said:

Yes do explain to me too I live on the pension in Australia and I am not starving

at the matter of fact I live quiet well, I do have to pay for my medication

about $ 12 every month the government pays the rest I get discounts on train

and bus fares discount on entrance fees to a lot of attractions

So my pension is $ 1.100.00 per for fortnight (single) since my wife left me

my outgoings are

Rent for a unit $ 480

electricity $ 25

car (have a old one ) third party   only $ 150 per year

Petrol less then $30 per fortnight

food not more then $ 100 per fortnight  

Booze what ever I can afford $25 on cheap plonk 

Phone cost me $ 10 per 3 months  so and you are complaining?

You work out how much I have left and the end of each fortnight

I have heaps left I just came back from a holiday in Europe

and I am booking my favourite holiday to Canada shortly

Could you do this living in Thailand on a pension? 

You know full well that you dont get $1100 per fortnight OAP, still if telling porkies makes you feel better:passifier:

On 11/7/2016 at 8:04 PM, pngmk said:

How does the government define or check residency? Do they check with immigration or the ATO or do they ask you to estimate?  I've just tried to remember every time I've been in and out and it's not easy tracking down 40 years of travelling as a missonary kid and then an offshore oil worker.

If you are on a pension the social security office will know your movements. I became aware of that after I changed my mothers travel plan and contacted them to inform them. They already knew that information. I guess their databases are liked up in some way. 

If you are on a pension the social security office will know your movements. I became aware of that after I changed my mothers travel plan and contacted them to inform them. They already knew that information. I guess their databases are liked up in some way. 

Centrelink and Immigration have your Australian passport as linked records. There was a story in the newspaper when I was there a few months ago about pensioners who had been on a cruise and their return details had not been correctly logged by Immigration, and their pensions had been docked incorrectly

Big Brother IS watching you. 1984 was 30+ years ago
  • Like 1
15 hours ago, DavisH said:

Shouldn't that be a month?

For single Age Pension maximum of $797.90 per fortnight (including Energy Supplement of $14.10, but not for new applicants), plus you can receive a supplementary payment to a maximum of AUD65.10 per fortnight

• Like 2

Glad we're back on track. Just for the record, I mentioned Myanmar and Australia - not Thailand, although I spend time in all three. Thanks to SaintLouisBlues and others keeping the conversation on track with current, relevant information. In this case, more is better...

On ‎28‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:21 PM, ozzydom said:

You know full well that you dont get $1100 per fortnight OAP, still if telling porkies makes you feel better:passifier:

You think I tell porkies is about time you get back to OZ and find out

about all the benefits you get maybe it was not correct to say my pension

is $1100 per fortnight but my basic pension is $1009 per fortnight this does

not include other benefits I get with my pensioner card eg less than halve

price on my travel with bus or train, halve price to go to the cinema , and

also discount at certain shops when you show your pensioner card it ads up

to about $ 1100 per fortnight don't believe me, come over here and

find out your self have a nice day

10 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

You think I tell porkies is about time you get back to OZ and find out

about all the benefits you get maybe it was not correct to say my pension

is $1100 per fortnight but my basic pension is $1009 per fortnight this does

not include other benefits I get with my pensioner card eg less than halve

price on my travel with bus or train, halve price to go to the cinema , and

also discount at certain shops when you show your pensioner card it ads up

to about $ 1100 per fortnight don't believe me, come over here and

find out your self have a nice day

Have to assume you are receiving additional payments above the current maximum Single Age Pension total rate which is $877.10 per fortnight.

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/centrelink/age-pension

Are you willing to share the detail?

34 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Have to assume you are receiving additional payments above the current maximum Single Age Pension total rate which is $877.10 per fortnight.

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/centrelink/age-pension

Are you willing to share the detail?

No doubt he is including all benefits such as the $130.60 per fortnight rent assistance.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, ozzydom said:

No doubt he is including all benefits such as the $130.60 per fortnight rent assistance.

Of course I  include all the benefits this is the net pension I receive per fortnight

which includes rent assistant and rent supplement you want me to hide all the

benefits I get, to make the OZ government look bad? Yes I do get a lot of benefits

since my Thai wife of 15 years dumped me (but this is another story )

I am off to Oz in mid Jan and will visit Centrelink and see what the future holds for a retirement age veteran (with a small war service pension) who has been working outside Australia since 1985.

I am not looking forward to spending 2 years there, I can tell you.

• Like 2

Bailao - will be back in mid Feb but will try to post a result before then.   Medical coverage is the same for me as it is for everyone, with the specific exception of the specific injury they have agreed to compensate me for.   I will follow up on that also, though.

• Like 1
On 02/01/2017 at 8:29 PM, adwbkk said:

Bailao - will be back in mid Feb but will try to post a result before then.   Medical coverage is the same for me as it is for everyone, with the specific exception of the specific injury they have agreed to compensate me for.   I will follow up on that also, though.

Be aware that a Centrelink office is not necessarily the best place to go to for info on the process to apply for Age Pension. Upon your return to Oz, if applicable as a veteran, I suggest you contact the Centrelink Age Pension info people on 132 300. Note you will need to meet the residency criteria for Age Pension and Medicare. e.g...

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/medicare-enrolment-returning-residents

Some additional info for veterans below.

http://www.dva.gov.au/benefits-and-payments/income-support/managing-your-pension/chapter-3-which-pension-do-you-get

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, simple1 said:

Be aware that a Centrelink office is not necessarily the best place to go to for info on the process to apply for Age Pension. Upon your return to Oz, if applicable as a veteran, I suggest you contact the Centrelink Age Pension info people on 132 300. Note you will need to meet the residency criteria for Age Pension and Medicare. e.g...

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/medicare-enrolment-returning-residents

Some additional info for veterans below.

http://www.dva.gov.au/benefits-and-payments/income-support/managing-your-pension/chapter-3-which-pension-do-you-get

Thanks for this.   You are right in that vets get a different arrangement, same money I think, but a different claiming procedure.   Thanks for the heads up.   I will follow through as you suggest.   Perhaps DVA would be the best place to start rather than Centrelink?

On 09/01/2017 at 11:43 AM, simple1 said:

Makes sense

Have been on the DVA website over the past couple of days and spoke to them over the phone.   They have advised that the place to start is the welfare guy at the RSL so I have made an appointment with him for next week.

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, adwbkk said:

Have been on the DVA website over the past couple of days and spoke to them over the phone.   They have advised that the place to start is the welfare guy at the RSL so I have made an appointment with him for next week.

Hope all goes well for you

can anyone tell me if it is possible to regain medical benefits by living part time each year in Oz. I listed as non resident for tax purposes and when I returned to oz realized I lost Medicare card  and other benefits, i.e. transport, free drivers liscence, etc. does anyone manage to live part time in oz and retain Medicare card?  if so, how and for how long? 

Edited by anipema
auto correct
11 hours ago, anipema said:

can anyone tell me if it is possible to regain medical benefits by living part time each year in Oz. I listed as non resident for tax purposes and when I returned to oz realized I lost Medicare card  

My understanding is that the Medicare card is lost after three years away. Would assume that if one can prove presence in Oz for even part of a year, then the Medicare card is not lost. The driving licence is renewable after ten years, I think - depends on the state.  But be careful - if you're not around to renew it on the relevant date then it may be necessary to re-sit the test.

13 minutes ago, BaiLao said:

My understanding is that the Medicare card is lost after three years away. Would assume that if one can prove presence in Oz for even part of a year, then the Medicare card is not lost. The driving licence is renewable after ten years, I think - depends on the state.  But be careful - if you're not around to renew it on the relevant date then it may be necessary to re-sit the test.

Five years - https://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/medicare-enrolment-returning-residents