Buddhist Studies (University level)

Buddhist Studies in Thailand

- This information was collected from the Internet and conversations in September 2016

- All schools below offer English-language BA, MA and PhD degrees unless stated otherwise

- All these programs are inexpensive by Western standards, the most pricy being IBC (#8), at around US$1,200/semester.

- With the exception of IBC, the Websites are terrible, and obtaining information by email/phone is arduous.

1) Mahidol U: Bangkok, text-oriented, unsure of language

2) Mahamakut U: Buddhist University in Bangkok, minimal info on website, neither phone nor email works. Couldn’t verify whether this Uni actually offers these programs.

3) Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya U (aka Mahachula or MCU Bangkok): Buddhist University in Ayutthaya. Can live in Bangkok while studying.

4) Thammasat U: Bangkok, Thai only

5) Chulalongkorn U: Bangkok, discontinued

6) Mahachula Chiang Mai: BA only. There is talk of an eventual MA.

7) Chiang Mai U: grad programs temporarily suspended, unsure of BA

8) International Buddhist College (IBC): Excellent website, excellent phone/email communication, program looks awesome, offered in English and Chinese only. Located outside Songkhla, just North of Malaysian border, 80-minute flight from Bangkok (to Hat Yai). IBC is affiliated with Than Hsiang Buddhist Research Centre, an e-learning school that offers Buddhist Studies.

Buddhist Studies in Thailand.docx

• 3 weeks later...

hi. first you said IBC has terrible contact info and then you said it is excellent. i'm guessing just typos or something.

I got my master's at International Buddhist College. You have to deal with the typical Thai stuff you find in education here (I've been a univerisity lecturer here at a few different places), but it's a good program, Buddhist Studies. I would recommend it.

-Shodo

• 1 month later...

Archived