A little disappointed in my new Lenovo Ideacentre

giddyup

Had the new Lenovo Ideacentre for about a week and must say the 19.5" screen doesn't have the clarity of my old 14'' Acer laptop. Photos and movies are a little on the fuzzy side and colours aren't as strong. The screen resolution is supposed to be 1080 x 1920, but I can only see 1600 x 900 in the system details. The Lenovo came pre packaged with Windows 10,so don't know if any adjustments can be made to improve the clarity and colour.

17 minutes ago, doctormann said:

Probably need to update your graphics driver.

You will only get the sharpest display if you are using its native resolution - 1920 X 1080 in your case.

DM

How do update the driver? The computer is brand new, should I need to update anything? I just had a look at all the drivers, but can't see graphics among them.

Edited by giddyup

You may need to check whether both the graphics card and the LCD monitor support 1920 x 1080.

Manufacturers often use confusing terminology e.g. "screen resolution" vs "max screen resolution" TV's are sometimes described as HD Ready vs Full HD which aren't the same.

It could be that the output of the graphics adaptor is capable of 1920 x  1080 but the monitor it is connected to has a max resolution of 1600 x  900. Therefore connecting a 1080 TV would display 1080 but the monitor won't. 

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

How do update the driver? The computer is brand new, should I need to update anything?

Probably need to update your graphics driver.

You will only get the sharpest display if you are using its native resolution - 1920 X 1080 in your case.

DM

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

How do update the driver? The computer is brand new, should I need to update anything?

I'm not that familiar with WIN 10, being a Linux person now, but if it's anything like WIN7 you should be able to do this from the Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device management  - or something like that, I can't remember exactly.  You should get a list of all installed hardware so just select the graphics driver, get the info and allow Windows to update the driver.  Sorry if this is not too clear but, as I said, I don't have a Windows installation to refer to.  A Google search may help if you are having difficulties doing the update.

DM

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

I tried to update, but I get a message that the best driver software (graphics) is already installed. So why am I only getting 1600 x 900 resolution?

Don't know.  I can only suggest that you try the Google option.  You won't be the only person to have had this problem and someone out there will have a solution for it.

DM

1 hour ago, doctormann said:

Don't know.  I can only suggest that you try the Google option.  You won't be the only person to have had this problem and someone out there will have a solution for it.

DM

I tried Google first, but so many conflicting possible solutions.

Last resort, if you are getting nowhere, would be to take the machine back to the shop or to some place that can take a look at it for you.

The problem is almost certainly down to WIN 10 and not to Lenovo - there will be some driver problem or some setting that needs to be changed.  Sorry but I can be of no further help to you on that score.  Good luck with getting it fixed and please report back when you do as others might be glad of the info.

DM

In addition, the lower resolution model, yours, is rated at 200 nits, as compared to 250 nits for the Full HD model. So that will explain the separate issue with the brightness.

The Nit is the standard unit of luminance used to describe various sources of light. A higher rating means a brighter display. Displays for laptops and mobile devices are usually between 200 and 300 nits on average.

I hope that you can get your money back.

Don't buy another AIO if you do.

2 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

Nothing to do with Windows 10 at all.

You simply have the 1600 x 900 model.

If it was sold to you as the Full HD model, take it back.

http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool\Sys/PDF/Lenovo Desktops/Lenovo C20/Lenovo_C20_Platform_Specifications-win485.pdf

18 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

Nothing to do with Drivers. I don't know what you are thinking to imagine so.

This in the  technical details. They gave me the lower spec model and hoped I wouldn't notice.

me:
19.5" (495mm) HD (1600x900) color, LED backlight
16:9 aspect ratio, 200 nits, 1000:1 contrast ratio
Some:
19.5" (495mm) FHD (1920x1080) color, LED backlight
16:9 aspect ratio, 250 nits, 1000:1 contras
Edited by giddyup

2 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

In addition, the lower resolution model, yours, is rated at 200 nits, as compared to 250 nits for the Full HD model. So that will explain the separate issue with the brightness.

I hope that you can get your money back.

Don't buy another AIO if you do.

I bought this from Lazada and it was clearly stated in the description that it was the HD 1920 x 1080 model. I don't know if the supplier deliberately sent me the lower spec model in the hope I wouldn't notice, or it was an honest mistake. I'll contact Lazada tomorrow and let them know. Unfortunately the box has already gone to the rubbish, but I still have a receipt obviously. I would say that I'm screwed.

I bought an all in one from Lazada as well some time back...the specs and advertising said it came with battery...I returned it with screen shots of said information and they returned it back and said that this was the one I ordered..even a complaint to Lenovo was blown off...

It was blatant misrepresentation..couldn't be stuffed pursuing it...it was a big disappointment, computer was average, the service poor and the responsibility denied...

1 hour ago, KneeDeep said:

Nothing to do with Drivers. I don't know what you are thinking to imagine so.

Sorry, I was answering earlier posts about the video driver.

It seems you have hit the nail on the head.

And that's two black marks against Lazada in this thread.

Not good.

6 minutes ago, Clamhua said:

I bought an all in one from Lazada as well some time back...the specs and advertising said it came with battery...I returned it with screen shots of said information and they returned it back and said that this was the one I ordered..even a complaint to Lenovo was blown off...

It was blatant misrepresentation..couldn't be stuffed pursuing it...it was a big disappointment, computer was average, the service poor and the responsibility denied...

I sent off an email to Lazada about 30 minutes ago, I had a phone call from them almost immediately. The girl said can I send it back, I said for one, the box it came it has already gone, I have already downloaded all the programs that I use, have transferred all my documents and photos onto the new one. It would be a real hassle to send back now. We'll see what solution they offer me.

3 minutes ago, Clamhua said:

Save all the pics to Google drive and then reformat it. We did that and returned it, they sent the same one back, so don't be surprised you get it back

I think I'll probably keep it before I go to all that trouble.

2 minutes ago, Clamhua said:

That's exactly how I felt the second time, wrote it off to experience and no longer buy from Lazada

The bottom line is that it's not the end of the world, the computer still does pretty much everything I need, I don't watch movies or play games on it, so the resolution is not worth getting too irate about, but I hate to think they tried to stiff me.

Heard many stories like this about lazada, not delivering the exact product you choose or they advertise... Most of the times it is handled though by vouchers or returns.

If I were you I would take all your info back on a disk or cloud and send it back. Otherwise you'll be looking at that screen everyday and think about this experience. Better have some extra work and feel good about you stayed put and got your product

18 minutes ago, Marcel1 said:

Heard many stories like this about lazada, not delivering the exact product you choose or they advertise... Most of the times it is handled though by vouchers or returns.

If I were you I would take all your info back on a disk or cloud and send it back. Otherwise you'll be looking at that screen everyday and think about this experience. Better have some extra work and feel good about you stayed put and got your product

Will wait until Lazada get back to me with a solution, if any.

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

I sent off an email to Lazada about 30 minutes ago, I had a phone call from them almost immediately. The girl said can I send it back, I said for one, the box it came it has already gone, I have already downloaded all the programs that I use, have transferred all my documents and photos onto the new one. It would be a real hassle to send back now. We'll see what solution they offer me.

Why would you throw the box away within a week?? Did you imagine that it would never go wrong?

Why keep something that disappoints you from the very beginning? Grab the bull by the horns and get rid of it.

1 hour ago, KneeDeep said:

Why would you throw the box away within a week?? Did you imagine that it would never go wrong?

Why keep something that disappoints you from the very beginning? Grab the bull by the horns and get rid of it.

Up to me.

6 hours ago, giddyup said:

Up to me.

Of course, but then why begin a thread "A little disappointed in my new Lenovo Ideacentre"? 

Now you have the opportunity to get rid of the disappointment, you are making excuses for a poor machine because you can't be bothered to send it back.  You've confirmed that it has a dull, low resolution screen. Your mobile phone probably has better resolution :)

With the Full HD spec, it's just about ok. 

https://lenovothailand.com/product/item/ideacentre-c20-00/

Take the opportunity to get rid whilst you still can ;)