UK visa to schengen

My wife was recently granted a visitor visa for the U.K. This will be her 3rd visit. Whilst here in the U.K., is it possible for her to apply for a schengen visa to visit let's say France for example, for 1 week or a long weekend, and then return to the UK to see out the duration of her visit visa?

Guemlum

Yes, provided that her UK visa is marked multi entry, which the vast majority are.
Most countries require that a visa is applied for in their home country, so whilst in theory she could exercise her right of free movement and get a visa in the UK she might encounter difficulties and be better applying in Thailand, the visa should be free.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

TheOldGit is correct, if her UK visa is multiple entry she can visit the mainland of Europe and return to the UK. As she is your wife she is eligable for a free visa, issued ASAP and with minimal hassle. The authorities should grant every facility to you, which would include applying from any relevant consulat in the world. So the Schengen visa could be applied for in London though if possible I'd apply in Bangkok.

Expect a total handling time of 1-2 weeks between applying for an apointment and getting the visa back. The longest it could take would be 2 weeks to get the appointment and 15 calendar days for the actual visa processing.

More info and links can be found in the Schengen sticky topic here in this forum.

edit: in theory you can also apply at the external Schengen border for a visa on the spot if you manage to show that she is the spouse of an EU citizen (you). But good luck trying to get to the bordergaurds. May only work between Dover and Calais as airliners and such won't let you board without visa. The EU strongly advices to get the approperiate visa before hand.

Edited by Donutz

9 hours ago, theoldgit said:

Yes, provided that her UK visa is marked multi entry, which the vast majority are.
Most countries require that a visa is applied for in their home country, so whilst in theory she could exercise her right of free movement and get a visa in the UK she might encounter difficulties and be better applying in Thailand, the visa should be free.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Sorry to hijack thread. My wife arrives next Friday as we applied and were successful in getting a settlement visa.

I take it she can apply for a Shengen visa from the relevant UK foreign embassy if we want to holiday in Spain/France etc?

2 hours ago, Davidll said:

Sorry to hijack thread. My wife arrives next Friday as we applied and were successful in getting a settlement visa.

I take it she can apply for a Shengen visa from the relevant UK foreign embassy if we want to holiday in Spain/France etc?

The UK has nothing to do with Schengen visas. If a non-EU national wants to visit a certain Schengen state such as France or Spain the applicant needs to contact the embassy of the relevant country. This means that if Spain is the main objective of the trip (you can ofcourse visit multiple countries within the Schengen area) , that the foreigner needs to go to the Spanish embassy.  One can apply from the country where the foreigner has legal long term residence. Usually this means the applying from the country of citizenship. But if you have legal residency somewhere you can apply from that country aswell.

Exception to this all being direct family members (spouse, minors, dependants)  of EU nationals: the embassy of the relevant country needs to provide all facilities in handling the visa request. This means that one can apply at any embassy in the world, though if Spain is the main purpose of the trip the non EU national married to an EU national is still supposed to apply via the Spanish authorities. Where this embassy or consulate is located should not matter. Sadly some embassies wrongfully insist that only citizens or those with residency status can apply and illegally deny say a Thai spouse on a short term visa in the UK to apply from the relevant embassy in the UK.  More info in the Schengen sticky. 

23 hours ago, Guemlum said:

Thanks guys. The plan, should we go down that route would be to apply at the relevant embassy in the U.K. What difficulties do you envisage "theoldgit"?

In my experience the French officials are not particularly helpful when processing applications, the London Consulate advises that an applicant must be resident in the UK to apply within their jurisdiction.

French Embassy London said:

You must be resident in the UK

• Your UK residency must have at least 3 months validity after the intended date of departure from the Schengen area.

• As per the decree 2008-1176 of the 13th of November 2008, the French Consulate, London, is not competent in processing visa applications of people not resident in the UK, i.e. holders of ’C-Visit’ visas or of a British visa valid for 6 months or less. People who are not resident in the UK must apply for their Schengen visas at the French Consulate in their country of residence.

Whilst being the spouse of an EU Citizen should override this, they will make you jump through hoops and in the end still may not process the application, so no side trip to France. To be honest it would be far easier, I'm sure you don't want to spend the holiday locking horns with French officials and their contractors,  for your wife to apply in Bangkok, the visa should still be free and your wife still shouldn't need to supply the same level of proof as a regular applicant.  http://www.ambafrance-uk.org/How-and-where-to-apply-for-a-visa

Edited by theoldgit
Typo corrected, thanks Donutz