Agoda.com site changes... Thoughts?

watcharacters

I've used Agoda at least 70 times over the last 5 years and felt it was the cat's meow.      Agoda recently  decided to alter a good thing, however,  and now IMHO it looks  like a cheap suit hanging in a second hand clothing store.

I always felt the comment section of Agoda provided worthwhile feedback so as to help me made a  choice on hotels  although it didn't go far enough so as to enlighten about different room types.

I  recently got so fed up with the Agoda site I decided to give Booking.com a try and found it worked fine.     On a first try basis I was even able to call the site directly in London and talk with someone without having to have a booking ref. number.     I was never able to do that with Agoda.   To get through the voice menu I had to have a booking number with Agoda.

When I called I explained to the Booking.com rep. that I was concerned about my CC payment going through since I was  a first time customer with the site.    On his own he volunteered to call the hotel in Singapore immediately and kept the hotel person on the line until my matter was resolved.   I'm still waiting for the customer survey he said would be forth coming as I certainly  would be happy to compliment the lad.

Strange thing is  both  sites are owned by Priceline.com.

I think the  Agoda/Priceline  site has deteriorated compared to how it functioned in the past.

Sometimes I believe  more thought needs to be given before a site  undergoes a major change.   The Yahoo Finance message board is a perfect  example of that.     It went from bad to worst.

What do you think about the recent Agoda.com site changes?

I would tread very carefully with hotels.com.

I got stranded with my elderly mum (78 yo) at Minneapolis airport due to bad weather, en-route back to the UK. Delta airlines did sod all to help (different story) so I was forced to book one of the last remaining rooms available on hotels.com and spent $$$ on a taxi to get there (this place was several miles out of town). Turned up and they had made a complete balls-up and no room available. Several others had been similarly duped btw. We had to get another taxi back to the airport and sleep in a chair overnight.

Hotels.com failed to take any responsibility for the situation via email and when I called it ended up somewhere in Central or South America. Complete indifference. I got the booking money back but nothing else. 

Agoda I have had no difficulty with and the points scheme is generous. I just used it a few days ago to book something in KL and worked fine. I seem to recall it was harder to contact via email than phone, though either does work in my experience. Booking.com is fine as well but not familiar with how good the rewards scheme is. I also get annoyed with the number of tabs that website opens up.

One last point about Agoda - the price match does work. I spent nearly £2.5k on hotel bookings in Manhattan this summer, then spotted the same rooms cheaper on Booking.com and got the money refunded (approx. £400-500) without a quibble.

Last couple times went to book with Agoda, price has been negligible with other consolidators (after plonking on the obligatory tax/service charges - yuck) and was actually a lot more than going direct with a Krabi hotel on one occasion (not cheapie, price: circa 3k night). Best deal I had recently was through AirAsiaGo.

You do realize that each time you book with one of those sites, 18+% goes straight to them. Example, say you make a B10,000 booking, at least B1,800 goes to Agoda/BDC etc for basically sending an email. Booking direct with your chosen hotel is far better in my opinion. You cut out the middleman, any problems that may arise are much easier to work out (see post 5) and most times you can get a discount too. JMHO.

18+% goes straight to them. Example, say you make a B10,000 booking, at least B1,800 goes to Agoda/BDC etc for basically sending an email.

not true, for new hosts Booking.com charges 15% , Agoda 20% ( if old host it was 15%) travel now 15%

THAN if the link came form an affiliate of (booking,agoda)they pay out 6% to the affiliate

on the other hand airbnb ONLY charges the host 3%

for 99% of the hotels online  they can NOT offer a lower price than what it sold to the hotel suppliers ( agoda) as they have a contract stating they wont. SOMETIMES u can get a lower rate not not often.

3 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

not true, for new hosts Booking.com charges 15% , Agoda 20% ( if old host it was 15%) travel now 15%

THAN if the link came form an affiliate of (booking,agoda)they pay out 6% to the affiliate

for 99% of the hotels online  they can NOT offer a lower price than what it sold to the hotel suppliers ( agoda) as they have a contract stating they wont. SOMETIMES u can get a lower rate not not often.

That is absolutely correct (about Agoda).

I like to know what specifically the OP don't like about the "new" Agoda design?.

I use Agoda regularly and I don't feel there is any difference in functionality.

PS! I normally travel around Thailand; and in the old days, the (Thai) wife had to go alone into the Hotel's and ask for the price. If they saw a Falang, the price would be min. 50% higher! 

I generally use consolidators to screen prices and options, then pop over to the hotel website to see if they've got any promotions or special offers running.  I did find one place in Jomtein recently that made a point of saying they prefer direct bookings, and their rates were less than Agoda - but not by much.  Usually that's not the case, at least in my exp.

I follow the direct rule when it comes to airlines though.  Use consolidators to screen fare prices and route options, then buy direct from the airline website, even if the fare is a bit higher.

On 10/19/2016 at 9:42 AM, phuketrichard said:

Depends on a number of factors: location, type, contract and room rate. Commisions vary between 10% and can go up to as much as 35% for some 5* hotels. For example: 15% is the standard rate charged by BDC but some locations will have a higher rate simply because they are popular destinations and/or the competition for bookings is higher. And vice versa. The commision amount can also be changed by the hotels themselves. The higher the commision, the more prominent the listings. 

I use Agoda several times a year and this last year I had several mistakes which in some cases were my fault and others down to Agoda. Each time they have been corrected very quickly and with little fuss. When it was Agoda's mistake there was no problem getting a correction and in one case a refund. When it was my mistake I was told that as I was a regular customer they would not charge me any extra. Like any company from time to time there will be problems but thus far I have been impressed at the way they have dealt with those problems and will continue to use them for the foreseeable future.

3 hours ago, keeniau96 said:

Thx to codyB for the hotels.com reference. I checked and found great info for my test of Bangkok hotel. Also like their map reference (superior to the new version of Agoda) and their billing detail.

I really like to know the difference between the old and new Agoda version. I've asked the OP and no answer, so now, when you state the same, I ask you!?.

I've used Agoda for about 8 years now and was always satisfied, but the last two bookings I made they messed things up a bit: booked for two adults and one child but the hotel voucher said only two adults so I had to hassle with emails to sort it out which took a few days and time I didn't want to spend. Next thing is I booked a room on their site and I got a different room on the voucher. I might try another booking agency next time.

• 6 months later...
On 10/21/2016 at 2:55 PM, FACTOR said:

I've used Agoda for about 8 years now and was always satisfied, but the last two bookings I made they messed things up a bit: booked for two adults and one child but the hotel voucher said only two adults so I had to hassle with emails to sort it out which took a few days and time I didn't want to spend. Next thing is I booked a room on their site and I got a different room on the voucher. I might try another booking agency next time.

The child clauses are very interesting & vary from site to site concerning the same hotel or the same room 

Have just been looking & even though they have the option of adding children it is usually an extra payment at the hotel

So scrolling down to read the terms I have one site saying 700 bht (where a Trip Advisor comment i was reading for the same hotel said 300 bht - the cost of an extra breakfast just a month ago ) that is if using the same bed or another bed

Then i go to the next site & they say under 12 yrs free if extra bedding in room 

This is between Bookings( 700 bht) & Agoda ( where they say for 2 adults & 1 other optional & state the prior sentence )

It makes it difficult if or if not knowing your going to be stung with an extra fee & im not talking about their cheapest room its costing 3600 a night

9 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

very hotel sets its own child policy on every hotel booking site

some its under 12 sleep free in existing bedding, other under 6

others offer a free cot if under 6 etc etc..

Yes totally understand & just booked a resort in Cha am & Agoda site wanted 1000 bht p/night for a child, there was no provision to mention age so i booked it without child & will deal with it there

Absolutely rediculous after reading another persons comment about the resort 1 mth ago that he was only charged 300 bht which he stated was the cost of breakfast 

There was no way i was going to pay in advance on the 1000 bht & will sought later

On 10/21/2016 at 2:55 PM, FACTOR said:

Most of the time they leave the child side payment up to you at the hotel, which now brings me back to Agodas response for me 

Absolutely useless As it was an enquiry prior to a booking concerning the 1000 bht charge of a child

So in the mean time I made a booking whilst waiting for their response with only 2 adults 

Guess what they picked up on the fact that i did make a booking & replied not sure what you are talking about as you only booked for 2 adults 

Absolutely useless as the enquiry had nothing to do with the booking i made even though it was for the exact same resort

The fee Agoda and other sites collect is for the service provided. Having all hotels in one place with pictures, details, and reviews saves people a lot of time and effort, as many hotel websites are less than robust or truthful.

21 hours ago, BEVUP said:

Yes totally understand & just booked a resort in Cha am & Agoda site wanted 1000 bht p/night for a child, there was no provision to mention age so i booked it without child & will deal with it there

Absolutely rediculous after reading another persons comment about the resort 1 mth ago that he was only charged 300 bht which he stated was the cost of breakfast 

There was no way i was going to pay in advance on the 1000 bht & will sought later

wow,where i stay in Cha am has sea view and only 800 baht/night  :-)

PS  i use booking.com much more in thailand than agoda, better cancellation policy and the rate is on the first page not the second page like agoda uses.

Archived