Sonos network issue

narkeddiver

This one isn't making any sense to me so any theories welcome

I have a Sonos bridge and several Sonos speakers in my network

I have a 3BB modem connected to a switch which supports various wifi routers and some security cameras

If I plug the Sonos bridge directly into the 3BB modem everything works fine but I would prefer to position it in my den where the majority of my speakers are

This is where the problems begin - if I plug the bridge into the wifi router in my den then the Sonos speakers drop in and out (which I think is caused by the wifi channels interfering). The bigger problem is that this set-up causes the internet across the house to die every hour or so and this can only be rectified by rebooting the 3BB modem

Any ideas why the position of the Sonos bridge in the network would impact the 3BB modem?

The can be issues with Sonos and STP on some devices. Never had the problem myself and so not sure whether the issue is still common. Search the Sonos forum for more up to date information.

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sonos-and-the-spanning-tree-protocol-16973

Though I'm curious that you have a modem (which is presumably a modem/router) and also "various wifi routers". For normal usage it is a bad idea to have more than one router, and if you do have more than one then it's usually best to have just one acting as router and all the other devices locked down into bridge or access point mode. If you could describe your setup more precisely it would probably be easier to spot the problem.

Depending on what you have and how you use it you may also have the option of disabling Sonosnet altogether. I much prefer using my Sonos speakers over a wired connection.

Thanks for the suggestions

I hadn't thought about the issues with the other routers running in router mode - they are really only there to provide wireless access - I'll check to see if they have a bridge or wap mode that I can enable

If they only have a bridge mode will that be good enough for them to provide wireless access?

Edited by narkeddiver

6 hours ago, narkeddiver said:

I hadn't thought about the issues with the other routers running in router mode - they are really only there to provide wireless access - I'll check to see if they have a bridge or wap mode that I can enable

If they only have a bridge mode will that be good enough for them to provide wireless access?

If you have more than one router running as a router then I am fairly sure that this is what is causing your problem.

Bridge mode would be applicable to your modem/router (assuming that it is a modem/router) if you also have a better router in use elsewhere on the network and nearer to where the main action is. It does all rather depend on how you connect to the various devices, and which do the most work. For example, my modem/router is set to bridge mode with the wireless and all other routing functions turned off (DHCP, NAT). My other router does all the routing/wifi work and it uses the modem/router as gateway.

If you have other routers that are just being used as access points then they would normally have a mode for this which automatically disables all routing functions. If they dont have a specific mode for it then you would also need to turn off routing functions on them, and point them to the main router as gateway.

All that said, if you have a very large network with many devices (more than perhaps 15-20 devices as you might find in a small hotel) then you may be better off configuring it all another way. There are also security issues to consider for that. But in a normal domestic situation such as you seem to be describing all this is unlikely.

Again, if you care to say exactly what equipment you have and how it is used and connected then it would be easier to tell you the best way of doing it.