UK to Thailand Visa criteria specifies £5000 for 6 months!?

Hello All

As a noob I have trailed through a lot of posts here to ascertain information, so my background I am looking to come to Thailand with a METV, it has been pointed out to myself that there was a change in the criteria in November 2015, being that it specifies, amongst other things that you must supply 'an original bank statement of the applicant showing a balance of at least £5000 (for 6 months) OR a print out with official stamp of the bank'.

Now initially I thought there are two ways this information can be interpreted, firstly supplying the bank statement to suggest the required amount for the required duration OR a print out with official stamp, secondly I am assuming on both accounts they require the statement to show £5000 for 6 months yes?

I don't wish to sound naive or ignorant here but would really appreciate some clarity, myself I move funds around and do not have the 5000 in an account for the aforementioned 6 month period, in that case would anybody suggest that I should be applying for a SETV visa rather than a METV?

My main concern is if i apply for the METV and it is refused on the bank account duration, i.e., not there for 6 months would that have a knock on effect with then applying for a SETV,? As I notice they also require that you purchase the plane ticket prior to applying.

Lastly guys, when obtaining the plane ticket is it acceptable to purchase a one way ticket if i'm looking to renew visas etc and thinking more long term etc? or is this deemed as a no, no and that i should be purchasing a return flight ticket?

Thank you so much for your time guys and am interested in the advice and feedback.

Have a great day!

Thanks

Chris 

You may well only get an SETV. Things like proof of substantial income might be accepted by the embassy in lieu of bank statements, but there is no guarantee of that. A denied METV application will have no effect on your ability to get an SETV. If you have any visa, a one-way ticket to Thailand is quite OK. The airline is only looking for an onward flight reservation if you are planning a visa exempt entry into Thailand.

• Like 1

BritTim, some travellers have complained that certain airlines won't accept boarding if you don't have a return ticket, or ticket to leave Thailand , such as à Bangkok Phnom Penh for example, even when you have a visa . Is this true ? I have noticed on check in ,that Emirates in France ask for my visa page and check it all thoroughly.

thank you. 

8 hours ago, geisha said:

BritTim, some travellers have complained that certain airlines won't accept boarding if you don't have a return ticket, or ticket to leave Thailand , such as à Bangkok Phnom Penh for example, even when you have a visa . Is this true ? I have noticed on check in ,that Emirates in France ask for my visa page and check it all thoroughly.

thank you. 

Airlines will normally only deny boarding if the passenger doesn't have a visa and an onward flight. If they have a valid visa, but no onward flight, there is no reason why the airline would deny boarding.

• Like 2

I have a METV good for six months although my return ticket back home is in7 months , so ANA flight crew ask to see my visa at Haneda Tokyo airport I asked why to see  my visa since the same airline company accepted my credential in Canada there was no answer from them.

I don't know what is going on with these  airline these days they run the show like they would be the immigration themself.

13 minutes ago, mettech said:

I have a METV good for six months although my return ticket back home is in7 months , so ANA flight crew ask to see my visa at Haneda Tokyo airport I asked why to see  my visa since the same airline company accepted my credential in Canada there was no answer from them.

I don't know what is going on with these  airline these days they run the show like they would be the immigration themself.

same situation flying with etihad from manchester uk, no problems at all

in the past with the old a tripe entry visa and my flight ticket longer than 6 months i was questioned at check in once, i explained that it was possible to extend the visa at immigration in thailand. check in staff, unsurprisingly, are not always fully aware of visa/immigration rules for every country

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for all the advice guys as it is much appreciated, I have since been to the London Thai Embassy with a friend who obtained the METV very easily, I spoke with an employee there and she mentioned the criteria is at their discretion.

A friend then put 5g in an account overnight and was no problem obtaining the visa. One day to wait and then collect.

45 minutes ago, truthfix said:

On a separate note, can I get a Thai bank account on a tourist visa?

Yes it's possible but entirely at the discretion of the branch you apply at. You might need to ask at several banks/branches before getting one to say yes. It can help if you take someone with you that already has an account at the branch you're opening the account to act as a referee.

11 hours ago, elviajero said:

Yes it's possible but entirely at the discretion of the branch you apply at. You might need to ask at several banks/branches before getting one to say yes. It can help if you take someone with you that already has an account at the branch you're opening the account to act as a referee.

I have been denied a new account at a branch that I already have an existing account at as they insist on having a work permit to open an account.

6 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I have been denied a new account at a branch that I already have an existing account at as they insist on having a work permit to open an account.

I'm sorry but that makes no sense whatsoever. From experience Thai banks will open accounts for people with work permits, specific visa's such as long stay visa's and existing account holders, they even state these things openly on their web sites. Having said that, some staff and some branches create their own variations of the rules but they can be corrected if pushed and calls made to head office.

On 23/10/2016 at 10:09 AM, mettech said:

The airlines are strict on this purely because in the event that a passenger is denied entry into a country due to the lack of a return ticket (or for some other reason that the airline should have checked, i.e. no visa etc.), then the airline is responsible to repatriate the passenger and they get a sizeable fine as well. 

On 10/23/2016 at 10:09 AM, mettech said:

There is a very clear reason for this: Airlines can get punished and have to provide a returnflight if someone is refused by immigration in situations when the airline could have foreseen the refusal.

6 hours ago, chiang mai said:

I'm sorry but that makes no sense whatsoever. From experience Thai banks will open accounts for people with work permits, specific visa's such as long stay visa's and existing account holders, they even state these things openly on their web sites. Having said that, some staff and some branches create their own variations of the rules but they can be corrected if pushed and calls made to head office.

You know it makes no sense.

I know it makes no sense.

But this is Thailand, it makes sense to the banks.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

2 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

You know it makes no sense.

I know it makes no sense.

But this is Thailand, it makes sense to the banks.

I'm sorry again but no it doesn't and I don't know of any branch or bank in Thailand that would do that.

Just now, chiang mai said:

I'm sorry again but no it doesn't and I don't know of any branch or bank in Thailand that would do that.

I'll tell you one then.

Kasikorn, Big C Extra, Pattaya.

I've also had problems with Kasikorn Pattaya Klang in opening an account and Bangkok Bank on Second Rd. The wife was able to open an account at SCB Pattaya Klang with a 1 year visa though, but they did ask for a work permit first off.

16 hours ago, chiang mai said:

The exact same thing happened to me at a Siam Commercial branch.

I had had a regular savings account with the branch for 4 years. It was opened on a tourist visa.

4 years later, I tried to open a 15-month fixed term deposit, again on a tourist visa. They denied me due to the fact I didn't have a work permit.

I thanked them for informing me and asked to withdraw the 350,000 Baht in the savings account.

They suddenly changed their minds and allowed me to open the 15-month fixed term deposit!

So, the experience of LongTimeLurker (awful poster name) is confirmed by a similar event.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

The exact same thing happened to me at a Siam Commercial branch.

I had had a regular savings account with the branch for 4 years. It was opened on a tourist visa.

4 years later, I tried to open a 15-month fixed term deposit, again on a tourist visa. They denied me due to the fact I didn't have a work permit.

I thanked them for informing me and asked to withdraw the 350,000 Baht in the savings account.

They suddenly changed their minds and allowed me to open the 15-month fixed term deposit!

So, the experience of LongTimeLurker (awful poster name) is confirmed by a similar event.

Wow, bizarre stuff indeed. Actually, I should realise by now that anything here is possible.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2016 at 2:47 PM, geisha said:

thank you. 

If you have a visa, no onward flight is necessary. If you do not have a visa, and are intending to enter Thailand visa exempt, airlines will typically want to follow IATA guidelines (which in turn are based on Thai immigration regulations) that require an onward ticket out of Thailand. Sometimes, check in staff do not check and, when they do, you may be able to convince the airline supervisor to let you travel anyway.

21 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I'll tell you one then.

Kasikorn, Big C Extra, Pattaya.

I've also had problems with Kasikorn Pattaya Klang in opening an account and Bangkok Bank on Second Rd. The wife was able to open an account at SCB Pattaya Klang with a 1 year visa though, but they did ask for a work permit first off.

I opened my bank account at Kasikorn (2nd Rd Pattaya) with a TV, condo rental contract and a local mobile numbers: they couldn't have been more helpful.

On 11 November 2016 at 1:24 AM, LongTimeLurker said:

I am sure that is true, but others have managed to open accounts without a work permit and with tourist visas. What the OP wants to do is possible, but it will be hard and he will have to shop around. Even branches within the same bank have their own policies/discretion. Being referred by an existing account holder can only help.