Retirement visa early extension

My passport expires in Dec. 2017 and my retirement visa is due for extension in Feb. which means I would only have 10 months of validity at the time of extension.  I would prefer not to replace my passport until next year (I won't bore you with the reasons) so would like to know if:

(1)  Is it possible to apply for a retirement visa extension 2 months early when I would have the required 12 months of validity on my current passport? or

(2)  Will they process an extension at my normal time in Feb. when I only have 10 months left on my passport? or

(3)  Can I apply for an extension of less than 1 year, say 9 months?

Thanks in advance for any help.

(1)  Is it possible to apply for a retirement visa extension 2 months early when I would have the required 12 months of validity on my current passport? or

Not really.

You can apply for your extension early (most offices 30 days early, some 45) but that will not effect the starting date for your new extension, which still will be starting from your current date of expiration.

(2)  Will they process an extension at my normal time in Feb. when I only have 10 months left on my passport? or

Yes, they will. It will be valid until the expiration date of your PASSPORT. Automatically. 

(3)  Can I apply for an extension of less than 1 year, say 9 months?

Not exactly. You make your annual application and like I said above, you will automatically only get it until your passport expires. It's important to note that if you get a new passport, that will definitely NOT extend your extension any longer than the original expiration date of your current passport.

Edited by Jingthing

Doing your extension early if you could do it would not help your situation.

They will only do the extension to the date your passport expires. You will then need to apply for a new extension before the date it expires after you get a new passport.

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I was in a similar situation this year, I just went and got a new 10 year passport before doing extension. 

If he does that, he'll need to transfer his current extension into the new passport before applying for the new extension. That's a free service in most offices.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

If he does that, he'll need to transfer his current extension into the new passport before applying for the new extension. That's a free service in most offices.

That was pretty painless, Imm office even transferred re-entry permits. 

• Like 1

1. No. The earliest you can apply is 45 days before the current extension expires, but even then the new extension applies from the expiry date and not the application date.
  2. Yes. If you only have 10 months left in your passport they will give you an extension for 10 months.
  3. See 2.