Foreign tourism unaffected by recent events, says ministry

webfact

9 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Not to worry every day in life is a marathon we all run it. Mine cannot be postponed. Be careful in this heat walk don't run live to fight another day. 

I know some people, who are involved with this ,marathon and some upcoming events in Phuket (all cancelled now)...

They really have laughed more in their life...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, DM07 said:

I know some people, who are involved with this ,marathon and some upcoming events in Phuket (all cancelled now)...

They really have laughed more in their life...

Laufter in life goes hand in hand. Without laughter we are all reduced to meaningless minions meandering through life wrinkled up face and all. 

Just now, elgordo38 said:

Laufter in life goes hand in hand. Without laughter we are all reduced to meaningless minions meandering through life wrinkled up face and all. 

Yeah, wise man- tell that to the people who are sitting on equipment for the event, worth several thousand dollars (not baht) and will not see any of that money back!

5 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

They couldn't resist it could they, just had to say it !

He said that in the first six months of the year there were 24.28 million visitors who spent 1.23 trillion baht in the tourism sector. This represented an increase of between 12% and 16%.

Sorry, with all due respect, but tourists do not take instructions. Most of them understand the situation and will behave accordingly though but forget about "instructing". You see how far you got with "instructing" your quality tourists from China not to spit all over the place while spending those huge amounts of "zero dollars"! 

Next will be the smoke screens by the TAT with twenty-two folding the numbers of last year. The numbers might be up, the revenue is FAR behind anything ever before in real money. 

I am in the hospitality industry and I can tell you in confidence, that it is a tremendous uphill battle to keep business profitable and whoever tells you something else is a daydreamer, lying outright or smokes seriously good weed. 

I personally know of three families (11 people in total) from the UK who were about to book to come to Thailand but on hearing of the King's death have changed their travel plans and are now going elsewhere instead.

"Welcome to Thailand Mr and Mrs Tourist. Here is a black ribbon, please wear it,  and here is a pamphlet telling you how behave whilst you are here, OK. Now any questions? Whats that, when is the next flight out?"

5 hours ago, BuckBee said:

Quite obviously will have an effect but as many book in advance and may not have option to cancel it will take time notice effect.

Cancelled concerts and football is huge and reduced inbound numbers.

Tat figured never likely show real world results, they said Chinese spent a lot in amazing figures released over year ago but know finding they cheaper than Charlie lol .

Yep, most of them are cheap Chang Li   :jap:

Sure hope these reports are true ... especially for the Thais who earn their livings from tourism. There is a fact overlooked here; tourists come here for adventure and pleasure, not for solemnity and sorrow.

3 hours ago, digibum said:

I don't mind so much that TAT misrepresent the truth.  It's just that they're so bad at it.  

Every good lie has an element of truth to it.  I find nothing said here evenly remotely possible. They might as well have said space alien tourism is picking up.  

Every one seems to be commenting on what tat in Thailand says but sadly every government in every country are the same  they all lie through their teeth not to many of them could lie straight in their beds sadly we are living  in a very very corrupt world

6 hours ago, kannot said:

wait  until  a  few  get  beaten  to  death  for  not wearing  black......thats  ok though according to  the  govt psychologist

... my sentiments exactly, thought somebody must have spiked my drink whilst reading it ... but no, it's just La-la-land, hilarious as always ...

Here's the Link To The Shrink for whomever missed out on this gem:

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/health/2016/10/20/outbursts-anger-part-national-grieving-process-psychologists-say/

Edited by jollyhangmon

With the sensitivity of the issue and the media reports of bashings with police support and follow up arrest of anyone who has had a finger pointed in there direction. Along with the restrictions in place and the sharp drop in shares.

I would say it's had a huge impact on tourism namely white skinned variety.

33 minutes ago, performance said:

With the sensitivity of the issue and the media reports of bashings with police support and follow up arrest of anyone who has had a finger pointed in there direction. Along with the restrictions in place and the sharp drop in shares.

But  - did you not read the headline? :-

'Foreign tourism unaffected by recent events, says ministry" :cheesy:

What sharp drop in shares. They went up 7% last friday and the SET is now over 1500 again, much to my surprise I may add as i was expecting a drop to the 1200 mark as were many others.

The dilemma for the Thai's is that, on the one hand they want to believe the whole world is in mourning, whereas the reality is they know it isn't - hence tourism is unlikely to be hit as 'the event' was covered on the day it happened and then quietly forgotten.  

I'm in the UK at present so I know the fact above is true. It's in no way meant to be disrespectful, just a mirror of the reality of an insular society believing otherwise.

"Welcome to Thailand Mr and Mrs Tourist. Here is a black ribbon, please wear it,  and here is a pamphlet telling you how behave whilst you are here, OK. Now any questions? Whats that, when is the next flight out?"

"Yes, we were wondering, weren't we Geoffory dear?" , "Yes", "What time is the lesbian show is on at Suzy Wong's", "Suzy Wong's, yes", "bar? We hope it's not cancelled"

21 minutes ago, Orac said:

What sharp drop in shares. They went up 7% last friday and the SET is now over 1500 again, much to my surprise I may add as i was expecting a drop to the 1200 mark as were many others.

Yes correction a earlier report. Although no one cares about shares. I only know what see. And I do not see to many falang. it's a ongoing saga. China is the new love. Good luck them.

I think that the immediate effect will be very little, as the majority of tourists(from Europe) booked their holidays some months ago.They will come because the financial penalties of cancelling would be too high.Where I think we will see the drop is when they are thinking of where to go next year.(Traditionally the holiday booking season starts just after Christmas).Those who came this year will remember the closures and atmosphere whilst they were here and maybe think that somewhere else might be a bit more lively.Those who are thinking about coming for the first time, will only see the (European) newspapers reports(and not what is actually happening)  and think hmm? bar closures,no music, no fun,one year restrictions, maybe we will look elsewhere.The vast majority of tourists do not read forums and only know what they read in the papers.Everything normal does not sell newspapers but bars closed for a year does.

Slightly off topic but with the vague guidelines on music levels, entertainment etc how long before one of the BIBs whose mia noi owns a bar decides that the bar opposite them is exceeding the levels and find themselves visited by the BIB and shut down, of course then the customers have to go to the bar run by the mia noi . It would not be the first time.

Yes correction a earlier report. Although no one cares about shares. I only know what see. And I do not see to many falang. it's a ongoing saga. China is the new love. Good luck them.

Quite a few of us have invested here and many more were concerned (or hoping for) a significant drop in the exchange rate when events unfolded. At present it seems that our worst fears have not materialised though it is still early days.

Your 'no one cares' and 'good luck to them' rings hollow with me and, although I could easily make my future elsewhere, I hope that Thailand can find its way through this difficult time which would be the best result for me and my family and, I would think, many others.

12 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

12 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Which- the thai tourist association or Thaigeezers!