May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

19 minutes ago, aright said:

All I did was refer to a report I didn't say I agreed with it.

In fact when you think about it from your standpoint it was a very unconvincing report wasn't it because the country voted to leave.

The Americans elected Trump - don't always credit the voter with too much savvy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

The crystal ball was, unfortunately, not devolved, but retained by Westminster. Hobbled by the PM's refusal to give Scots fair access to the Oracle, conjecture is the next best thing.

I can only see the first couple of paragraphs without having to register so I cannot comment on the meat of Cochrane's opinion piece but I am certain that it will follow his and the Telegraph's well trodden formula of trying to suggest that the SNP is in a muddle, that their figures don't add up and that Scots are much too canny not to realise that they are far better continuing to be behoven to the UK. Am I right?

Well defined! I will try again in a couple of days when hopefully the Telegraph will have released it to the public. As a matter of interest what newspaper in Scotland is pro SNP

4 minutes ago, aright said:

Well defined! I will try again in a couple of days when hopefully the Telegraph will have released it to the public. As a matter of interest what newspaper in Scotland is pro SNP

There is a single newspaper in Scotland that is sympathetic to independence - The National. The Sunday Herald could probably be described as lukewarm; most others are openly hostile.

13 hours ago, aright said:

On the contrary work for Carillion has not been drying up since Brexit.

"It has been in crisis mode since last July when a shock profit warning knocked 90pc off its share price. But in the months since it has been handed billions of pounds worth of contracts to build schools and railways and manage Ministry of Defence properties."

There  is no doubt supply side companies will suffer as a result of Carillions position, but it has nothing to do with Brexit.

I feel that this topic deserves a unique thread as it is going to run and run, and has so many twists.

Yesterday we were debating the remarkable tenacity of TM in the context of her annus horribilis. I feel that this could really be her undoing - her opponents are really going to push her close ties to the very top of Carillion. The narrative of privitisation of profit and public ownership of losses is already starting to move into the public consciousness.

MORGAN STANLEY: Britain is edging closer to a 'soft Brexit'

Britain is increasingly likely to secure a last-minute "soft" Brexit deal which keeps it in the single market and customs union.

That's according to Morgan Stanley's UK economics team of Jacob Nell and Melanie Baker.

They pair argue that the fact the UK and EU are now discussing a deal which involves issues including a role for the European Court of Justice, and foreign policy, indicates the UK is softening its stance.

http://www.businessinsider.com/morgan-stanley-britain-edging-towards-soft-brexit-2018-1

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed and over size font re-set to normal.
  • Like 1

Here we go, here we go, here we go....:

"An increasing majority of people would back a second European Union referendum if Britain faced crashing out of the bloc without a deal, a new poll claims".

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-updates-second-eu-referendum-uk-leave-no-deal-talks-poll-jeremy-corbyn-theresa-may-a8161301.html

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

I feel that this topic deserves a unique thread as it is going to run and run, and has so many twists.

Yesterday we were debating the remarkable tenacity of TM in the context of her annus horribilis. I feel that this could really be her undoing - her opponents are really going to push her close ties to the very top of Carillion. The narrative of privitisation of profit and public ownership of losses is already starting to move into the public consciousness.

The Tory party is a bit like a tall fir in the hands of a lumberjack, the general election was merely the first swing of the axe. Priti Patel, Michael Fallon, Damien Green and the like have chipped away at the trunk and now with Carillion her "Strong and Stable" slogan has become nothing more than a joke. Very few swings of the axe are now required and only the visually impaired would want to be perched on the upper branches of that particular tree.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, aright said:

So its conjecture then!

That aside I m sure todays article in the Telegraph will interest you. Interested in your view..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2018/01/16/no-consensus-brexit-snp-drop-referendum-plan/

What is said in papers can hardly be taken as gospel. I went to my nephews wedding in August and most that I spoke to were still in favour of independence but they didn't want another referendum. Wounds have yet to heal from the previous one and they would rather just let the government get on with it.

It must be very frustrating for the Scottish government when they have a good idea of what is felt but without any way of confirmation plus newspapers looking for ways to increase sales.

The one thing we do know, the people of Scotland voted to remain in the EU, not that it counted for anything.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Khun Han said:

I don't think a few hundred difference changes much at all, the Day 1 losses are still coming in at 10k whereas the longer term is still quoted as 75k. Anyway, didn't the arch Brexit nemesis Sgt Rock forecast that Deutche Bank would be gone a year ago and that shortly thereafter the EU would collapse, how is the sarg., is he well! http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-latest-updates-banking-job-lossses-city-london-leave-eu-a8148186.html

There's nothing much that's new in the following article except that it's a view of what might happen in the event of Brexit, based on what we now know. It also describes likely impacts on the Pound, the Stock market and inflation: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/special-reports/will-brexit-affect-finances-2018/

Again, there's nothing earth shattering in this, it's just a useful placeholder to record the forecast when the subject arises again in the future.

On 1/16/2018 at 12:32 AM, aright said:

What independent assessment was that then?

It was my understanding that the Scottish Government received a redacted version of the impact of leaving the EU compiled by Westminster.

Did they do there own study?

In Yesterdays PMQs, Ian Blackford stated quite clearly that on Monday the Scottish government had published their own study on the impact of brexit on Scotland.

Edited by sandyf
  • Like 1

Yesterday Theresa May stood up in the HoC and stated that she was working very closely with the devolved administrations to ensure a brexit that suited everyone. I wonder which devolved administrations she was referring to.

There hasn't been a devolved administration in NI for over a year, unless it is now known as the DUP.

If TM is working very closely with the Scottish administration it must be in secret, Nicola Sturgeon appears to have no idea.

Theresa May's statement was her stock response. in this case to a question regarding problems in the Welsh administration.

On Tuesday, First Minister Carwyn Jones described the proposed law in its current form as "a fundamental assault on devolution" and threatened to introduce a so-called Continuity Bill to protect Welsh interests before the end of January unless the "necessary amendments" are made.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-politics-42717303

5 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Yesterday Theresa May stood up in the HoC and stated that she was working very closely with the devolved administrations to ensure a brexit that suited everyone. I wonder which devolved administrations she was referring to.

There hasn't been a devolved administration in NI for over a year, unless it is now known as the DUP.

If TM is working very closely with the Scottish administration it must be in secret, Nicola Sturgeon appears to have no idea.

Theresa May's statement was her stock response. in this case to a question regarding problems in the Welsh administration.

On Tuesday, First Minister Carwyn Jones described the proposed law in its current form as "a fundamental assault on devolution" and threatened to introduce a so-called Continuity Bill to protect Welsh interests before the end of January unless the "necessary amendments" are made.

Yesterday the Times reported that support for independence had dropped to 43% - I simply cannot comprehend this. What is it that Scots see in Westminster that would want them to stay part of it? Unless, of course, the Times is disseminating fake news...

Yesterday the Times reported that support for independence had dropped to 43% - I simply cannot comprehend this. What is it that Scots see in Westminster that would want them to stay part of it? Unless, of course, the Times is disseminating fake news...

Could be because, with the disruption being caused by Brexit, it would be foolish to add more confusion at the present time with one clock already ticking.

It would be like triggering a two year time limit and then deciding to waste a significant part of it by calling an election and I don’t think the Scots would be that stupid.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

I don't think a few hundred difference changes much at all, the Day 1 losses are still coming in at 10k whereas the longer term is still quoted as 75k. Anyway, didn't the arch Brexit nemesis Sgt Rock forecast that Deutche Bank would be gone a year ago and that shortly thereafter the EU would collapse, how is the sarg., is he well!  http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-latest-updates-banking-job-lossses-city-london-leave-eu-a8148186.html

Oh yes, a few hundred jobs moving isn't any different to a few thousand jobs moving, is it? No difference at all!

12 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Oh yes, a few hundred jobs moving isn't any different to a few thousand jobs moving, is it? No difference at all!

The point is moot anyway or at least it will be, as soon as they hold the second referendum and everyone votes to remain, then nobody will need to move, it'll put an end to this nonsense once and for all.

On 1/16/2018 at 2:36 AM, Khun Han said:

My company has worked for both Mitie and Carillion in the past on construction projects. Our experiences of the site workers of both companies is that they were uniformly bone idle. As an aside, both companies were also bad payers. Didn't know much about Capita, but their Wiki tells me that they were sacked from several NHS Trust contracts back in 2014 due to terrible performance, which indicates that their biggest problems pre-date brexit and are not related to it.

Take my word for it (as an ex-county employee) - the company is the prime example of  (......) not sure how to proceed without inviting a libel action....  Let's just say I've no idea why they were allowed to become the only IT supplier....

Similarly, how on earth did mouchel become the (pretty much enforced) provider of building maintenance repairs/maintenance etc???  Even though the 'recommended suppliers' charge at least 4 times the price charged by anyone else??

Hasten to add, I'm sure it has nothing to do with kick-backs or corruption.... :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Every last one of these Pygmy Politicians are simply playing Politics, you cant blame them because they are Politicians. But most of this posturing is simply designed to make Brexit just a little more difficult. 

• Like 2

On 1/16/2018 at 5:14 PM, RuamRudy said:

The Americans elected Trump - don't always credit the voter with too much savvy.

Oh come on.  Nobody credits the 'average' voter with too much "savvy" - which is why it's so suprising that the electorate ignored the govt. fear mongering and voted to leave :shock1:.

Things had finally got so bad that they finally recognised the lies - which then resulted in politicians and those previously proclaiming 'armageddon' in the event of a leave vote, dumb-founded that the electorate had woken up to their lies.... 

• Like 1