May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

5 hours ago, rockingrobin said:

The No Deal advocates justify their position by stating other countries rely on WTO rules, but forget to mention that every member of the WTO has some kind of regional or bilateral agreements in place.

If the WTO arrangements are so straightforward, why does virtually every country in the world go chasing free trade agreements?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, taipeir said:

WTO is still a huge pain because everything is scrutinised by customs. 

No way around that. Delays of days could be common for imports. Each country and product of origin has to assessed independently .

Almighty pain in the ass for integrated european manufacturers.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Once export invoices become a source of government revenue, rather than just used for statistical reporting, it puts a whole new burden on business and the revenue dept, a totally different ball game.

Under the existing regulations there is no real incentive to falsify invoices but if tariffs come into play there will be those that will try and manipulate the description in an attempt to get a lower rate so customs have to be much more thorough, making the whole process that much slower.

8 hours ago, sandyf said:

Never heard of Exchange Control Regulations being considered similar to Customs Regulations but there is a first for everything.

Exchange control prohibited the British residents, both individuals and corporate bodies, from holding foreign currencies. ... Before 1979, the Exchange Control Act of 1947 had tightly regulated capital transactions (both direct and portfolio investment) of British residents with foreign territories.

https://www.psa.ac.uk/sites/default/files/conference/papers/2016/Removal of exchange control by the Thatcher Government_0.pdf

10 hours ago, nontabury said:

Your correct, the U.K. is nothing  special, except that it’s the first country to vote to leave this so called a Union. And this is what scares the Buraeucrats in Brussel. The thought that when the U.K. gains it’s independence,and makes a success of it. That this will lead to even More, of the people of continental Europe following the U.K.s lead.

Nothing like scaring the Buraeucrats in Brussel. :cheesy:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nontabury said:

Your correct, the U.K. is nothing  special, except that it’s the first country to vote to leave this so called a Union. And this is what scares the Buraeucrats in Brussel. The thought that when the U.K. gains it’s independence,and makes a success of it. That this will lead to even More, of the people of continental Europe following the U.K.s lead.

5CDBB4BE-0CF0-4B67-AF66-EA2F2574D7FF.jpeg

What is the source for this pictured material?

Yourself or a third party?

1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

Exchange control prohibited the British residents, both individuals and corporate bodies, from holding foreign currencies. ... Before 1979, the Exchange Control Act of 1947 had tightly regulated capital transactions (both direct and portfolio investment) of British residents with foreign territories.

https://www.psa.ac.uk/sites/default/files/conference/papers/2016/Removal of exchange control by the Thatcher Government_0.pdf

And that relates to my original comment on customs regulated export paperwork - how?

Easier to change the subject than address the customs related problems, standard brexiteer tactic.

Therese May has more room for manoeuvre in Parliament on Brexit than you think 

The bullet has been fired and nothing that can be done will bring the bullet back to the gun

Parliament cannot vote for an agreement that the EU has not offered. It cannot approve an agreement that has not been reached. And it cannot extend the two-year negotiating period set out by Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union. It should be obvious that Britain cannot unilaterally change international law. That so many Remainers wish they could do so – in the name of keeping us inside or closely aligned to a supranational organisation – is an irony they seem to miss.

Spot on!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/15/dont-fooled-brexit-theresa-may-canny-parliamentary-operator/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

And that relates to my original comment on customs regulated export paperwork - how?

Easier to change the subject than address the customs related problems, standard brexiteer tactic.

lose the chip on your shoulder <deleted>!

As said, if the will is there then the systems will slot in easily.....

4 hours ago, aright said:

Please, insulting my or other peoples addictions is knot worthy.  I used to be a soap addict but now I'm clean.

Sorry so late in replying, I was a bit tied up!

Edited by nauseus
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Does anyone in the UK really want NI?

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland just doesn't sound quite right now does it?

doesn't sound quite right...........never did as far as the IRA were concerned.

Yes I want to keep NI..... my gf likes Baileys on ice. The plant in Belfast produces 500000 bottles a day, 70% of the global requirement, requiring 600 million litres of milk annually, sourced from both sides of the border. From memory 70% of the cheese sold in the UK is Irish (mainly Cheddar and from the Republic) putting further pressures on milk. This is only one of many cross border problems to be solved.The solution surely is for the Republic to leave the EU ,amalgamate with NI and become part of one of the greatest new enterprises in the world. With 12 votes in the EU  they virtually have no control of political and social ambitions. As part of the UK they have more control over ambitions and outcomes.

“What Brexit has made us do is ... step back and think about that a little more. Going forward we need to be thoughtful and careful about where we make investments, where we build capabilities, how to build in redundancy.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-latest-news-rolls-royce-uk-border-checks-eu-customs-union-global-supply-chain-europe-a8056781.html?S2ref=1532332

21 hours ago, Grouse said:

It must be awful for you gentlemen

You post your homework and the maths teacher makes fun of it  in front of the class.

All these years and you still feel humiliated ?

Yes, boy, you!

Has anyone got a plimsole?

??‍?

It was the cane and the strap in my day though the gym teacher was fond of wielding the climbing ropes.

30 minutes ago, sandyf said:

“What Brexit has made us do is ... step back and think about that a little more. Going forward we need to be thoughtful and careful about where we make investments, where we build capabilities, how to build in redundancy.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-latest-news-rolls-royce-uk-border-checks-eu-customs-union-global-supply-chain-europe-a8056781.html?S2ref=1532332

That's what should have happened before Heath got his biro out in 1973! You just can't trust a sailor.

47 minutes ago, aright said:

Yes I want to keep NI..... my gf likes Baileys on ice. The plant in Belfast produces 500000 bottles a day, 70% of the global requirement, requiring 600 million litres of milk annually, sourced from both sides of the border. From memory 70% of the cheese sold in the UK is Irish (mainly Cheddar and from the Republic) putting further pressures on milk. This is only one of many cross border problems to be solved.The solution surely is for the Republic to leave the EU ,amalgamate with NI and become part of one of the greatest new enterprises in the world. With 12 votes in the EU  they virtually have no control of political and social ambitions. As part of the UK they have more control over ambitions and outcomes.

The United Kingdom of The British Isles - sound better?

53 minutes ago, aright said:

Any more drivel solutions from the forum hard Brexiteer team?

34 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Any more drivel solutions from the forum hard Brexiteer team?

Any intelligent solutions from someone who seems to struggle with more than one sentence at a time and reacts to anything he disagrees with belittlement? I am pleased to say you will never be the melody in the symphony of my life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

How Brexit made me quit my job, pack up my life and move to Sweden

OPINION: The result of the UK's Brexit vote has had far-reaching implications for many Brits. The Local contributor Ellie Day writes about how that, and a sense of not wanting to lose her European identity, made her take a leap of faith, quit her job in London... and move to Sweden.

"As Sweden is one of a number of European countries which offer free Master's degrees to successful applicants within the EU/EEA (an opportunity which is little-known in the UK), going back to university seemed a no-brainer"

https://www.thelocal.se/20171010/how-brexit-made-me-quit-my-job-pack-up-my-life-and-move-to-sweden

13 minutes ago, Skywalker69 said:

OPINION: The result of the UK's Brexit vote has had far-reaching implications for many Brits. The Local contributor Ellie Day writes about how that, and a sense of not wanting to lose her European identity, made her take a leap of faith, quit her job in London... and move to Sweden.

"As Sweden is one of a number of European countries which offer free Master's degrees to successful applicants within the EU/EEA (an opportunity which is little-known in the UK), going back to university seemed a no-brainer"

https://www.thelocal.se/20171010/how-brexit-made-me-quit-my-job-pack-up-my-life-and-move-to-sweden

Well, that's quite the non-story, isn't it? Wanted to do a masters, they're free in Sweden, and doesn't like brexit. Hold the front pages!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Skywalker69 said:

According to reports in today’s U.K papers, there are now more E.U citizens moving to live in the U.K.  I suppose that’s voting with their feet.

52 minutes ago, Skywalker69 said:

According to reports in today’s U.K papers, there are now more E.U citizens moving to live in the U.K.  I suppose that’s voting with their feet.

2 hours ago, nontabury said:

Got a link to that,I have not seen that report and I do read them online, unless it was in the express or sun I do not go there.