over 50 and wife follow on advice

Hi,

I will turn 50 in December. My current Ed visa will expire in January. Ultimately I will apply for an extension based on being over 50. I will be extending using the income method. I am British. My wife is also British but is only 47. She is currently on a single entry 60 day tourist visa that she got last week in Laos after her Ed visa came to an end. We plan to apply for her to remain here on a 'follow on / dependent visa as she's my wife (I realise the terminology I'm using may not be correct).

My question regards the order of the process. Should I first complete the proof of income forms from the British Embassy and get the British Embassy to certify our marriage certificate.

Then, should we both apply for non Immigrant O visas so that we can then later extend these on the basis of me being over 50 and my wife following me? Would it be best for us to do this in Bangkok immigration (or Hua Hin immigration if it's possible as we live in Cha-am) or would it be necessary for us to do this outside Thailand.

Any advice very much appreciated.

You will have to leave the country to get a non-o visa if you are currently on an extension based upon attending school. You can only change from a tourist or visa exempt entry to a non immigrant visa at immigration.

Your wife will not qualify to do the change at immigration. They not do those for dependents of a person that has an extension of stay based upon retirement.

You can both go out at the same time to get single entry non-o visas at either Vientiane or Penang. Yours will be based upon being 50 or over for retirement and hers as your dependent. You will be able to use the income letter from from the UK embassy to apply for your visa.

The UK embassy will not legalize you marriage certificate. It has to done in the UK. 

From: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand

Legalising a signature or seal

Legalisation is the official confirmation that a signature, seal or stamp on an official public document is genuine. UK public documents such as birth, death, marriage and divorce certificates can be legalised by the UK government in the UK. This is also known as an apostille. More information on how to get your UK document legalised for use in Thailand can be found on Three Steps of Legalising a Signatures or Seal (PDF, 142KB, 1 page) and Legalisation Infographic (PDF, 168KB, 1 page) .

• 1 month later...

Hi, if you are around Ubon Joe, I just have another question. Further to your previous advice, I now have the proof of income letter from the British Embassy and our marriage certificate has been legalised by both the British FO and the Thai Embassy in London.

I am currently still on an Ed visa and my wife is on a Tourist visa. We'll go to Vientiane mid January to both apply for  single entry non-o visas (mine based upon being 50 or over for retirement and hers as my dependent).

I'm now trying to get all documentation ready before we go. I'm I correct (there's a good chance I may not be) in assuming the only other documentation we now need is a T87 'Application for Visa Form' each. If this is correct, I can download them from the Thai Immigration Bureau website and fill them in before we leave.

Is my assumption that these are the only further forms we need correct or do we need anything else? Your advise would be much appreciated.

36 minutes ago, somchai jones said:

Hi, if you are around Ubon Joe, I just have another question. Further to your previous advice, I now have the proof of income letter from the British Embassy and our marriage certificate has been legalised by both the British FO and the Thai Embassy in London.

I am currently still on an Ed visa and my wife is on a Tourist visa. We'll go to Vientiane mid January to both apply for  single entry non-o visas (mine based upon being 50 or over for retirement and hers as my dependent).

I'm now trying to get all documentation ready before we go. I'm I correct (there's a good chance I may not be) in assuming the only other documentation we now need is a T87 'Application for Visa Form' each. If this is correct, I can download them from the Thai Immigration Bureau website and fill them in before we leave.

Is my assumption that these are the only further forms we need correct or do we need anything else? Your advise would be much appreciated.

You will use the visa application form:  http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/upload/pdf/Visa Application Form_new_V_13_8_2558.pdf

The TM87 form is only used at immigration.

You will need the income letter to apply for the visa but only attach a copy to your application so you can use it to apply for your extension. Only show the original if asked for it. You will need your marriage certificate and copy for your wife's visa.

1 hour ago, somchai jones said:

Thanks so much for your detailed advice Ubon Joe, that's very helpful.

Finally, one last question if I may; our local immigration office is the Ta Yang office in Petchaburi. When we go to apply to extend our visas for a year towards the end of the 3 months after we've come back to Thailand from Laos, can we do it at Ta Yang or do we have to go to Bangkok?

• 1 month later...

Hi Ubon Joe if you are around.

We went to Vientiane to apply for the non immingrant O visas - mine for purpose of retirement and my wife's as a dependent but were told at the Thai Embassy when we handed in our documents that we could not apply because although the Embassy income verification letter and marriage certificate were fine, both my wife and I should also have had a medical certificate and a 'criminal record check'. So we applied for 60 day tourist visas instead and were given them.

My questions are: 1. Do we just apply for the medical certificate at any Thai doctor's as I did for my Thai diving license ? 2. Do you know where we have to apply for the criminal record checks? 3. When we have the documents can we apply for our non immigrant O visas inside Thailand (mine for retirement, my wife's as my dependent) and if the answer is yes, can we do it at our local immigration which is Ta Yang (Petchaburi) or do we have to go to Bangkok.

You help is much appreciated.

11 hours ago, somchai jones said:

Hi Ubon Joe if you are around.

We went to Vientiane to apply for the non immingrant O visas - mine for purpose of retirement and my wife's as a dependent but were told at the Thai Embassy when we handed in our documents that we could not apply because although the Embassy income verification letter and marriage certificate were fine, both my wife and I should also have had a medical certificate and a 'criminal record check'. So we applied for 60 day tourist visas instead and were given them.

My questions are: 1. Do we just apply for the medical certificate at any Thai doctor's as I did for my Thai diving license ? 2. Do you know where we have to apply for the criminal record checks? 3. When we have the documents can we apply for our non immigrant O visas inside Thailand (mine for retirement, my wife's as my dependent) and if the answer is yes, can we do it at our local immigration which is Ta Yang (Petchaburi) or do we have to go to Bangkok.

You help is much appreciated.

It seems you were wrongly denied your applications. There is no requirement for you to have a medical certificate or back ground check to apply for a single entry non-o visa. Those are only needed to apply for a non-oa visa. You should of questioned them about the requirements since it was completely incorrect. Many people have gotten the non-o visa there without needing them.

You don't need the medical certificate and background check for anything.

I am not sure if you could apply for the change to a non immigrant visa at  Phetchaburi immigration. Hua Hin can accept the application for one so I would assume they can.

Your wife would not be able to apply for as visa as your dependent. Immigration does not do them for dependents of those on a extension based upon retirement.

You could get the visa at immigration and then after your have your extension your wife could go  to go to an embassy or consulate to get her non-o visa.

I suggest you contact Vientiane about getting your visa by clearly writing an email explaining that you want a non immigrant O visa based upon being 50 or over so you would have something to show them when you apply again .  Email: [email protected] 

You could also go to Penang to get your visas.

Hi Joe

Thanks for the advice. I'll email Vientiane. Just one remaining question. On the visa form that we filled in at Vientiane, in the space where you write the reason for the purpose of the your non imm application, I wrote on mine for retirement. Is this correct or should I have just written 'being over 50' or is either ok?

Thanks. 

Hi Joe, sorry, I have one more question in addition to my last one:

On the visa form that we filled in at Vientiane, in the space where you write the reason for the purpose of the your non imm application, I wrote on mine for retirement. Is this correct or should I have just written 'being over 50' or is either ok?

What is the difference between a non-o and a non-oa?

Thanks again. 

6 minutes ago, somchai jones said:

Hi Joe, sorry, I have one more question in addition to my last one:

On the visa form that we filled in at Vientiane, in the space where you write the reason for the purpose of the your non imm application, I wrote on mine for retirement. Is this correct or should I have just written 'being over 50' or is either ok?

What is the difference between a non-o and a non-oa?

Thanks again. 

Retirement should of been OK. But 50 or over would of been a bit more correct. I really think  the officer that rejected your application was not aware of the difference between a non-o and a OA visa.

A non-oa visa is a multiple entry visa that allows unlimited one year entries for one year from the date of issue. It can only be applied for in your home country or country of legal residence.