Cash Deposit At Scb

In the SCB website, i read "The deposit of foreign currency notes and coins must not exceed USD 5,000 or equivalent per day."

Anyone of you has experienced cash deposit at any SCB branch.

Have you ever put in your account over 5k$ in 1 time? Do they ask anything to justify such high amount deposit?

Thanks for your shared experiences.

Cheers

For local currency (at any standard branch, not sub branch), no. For USD$, yes, on every single occasion they wouldn't exchange more than USD$5,000 to Thai Baht. They just said 'that's the rules, but you can come back tomorrow or simply go to whatever bank was next door.' On occasion tellers that I didn't know would ask the origin of the funds... I would just say "from my US or Singapore accounts."

Have yet to have a reason to need them to raise that ceiling, considering with the current rules and about 5 banks, you can do $600k+ USD a month.

:o

In other words, what you advise is to go to any bank to make the change up to the limit, then go to the next bank on the street and to the same till i got all my foreign currency changed.

then i go to any SCB bank to make the deposit of my full amount in bahts.

What are the best places to make money exchanges. Any banks better than others? banks better than exchange booths?

Not advising anything. Myself I usually just wire straight in, rarely (maybe once or twice a year) any cash involved.

But yeah, the money changers in the Pratunam and Yaowarat areas tend to give better rates... mostly because many are working with ledgers, not electronic transfers. Myself, I like banks.

:o