BRIT (pensioners) and EXCHANGE RATES

mercman24

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 25/10/2016 at 2:26 PM, partington said:

Poor people tend to vote to increase their own poverty: I don't know why this is.

I would be surprised if the majority, 80-90%, of those being forced to leave because of the low exchange rate didn't actually vote for Brexit and bring about their own demise.

Those not on the edge of survival mostly voted remain I think.  

Your thinking is askew. Not true according to the people I know. In fact personally I do not know anyone who voted to Remain.

Just now, Anon999 said:

Your thinking is askew. Not true according to the people I know. In fact personally I do not know anyone who voted to Remain.

Yes, the standard refrain is "We got our country back".

Fitting, then, that as a direct consequence, it looks like the country will be getting them back.

Karma, innit?

2 hours ago, YeahSiam said:

Well it's not a much wealthier nation, is it?

It's notional wealth wrapped up in the illusion of real estate price inflation.

Most people simply can't sell up and move overnight, can they?

Britain's modern day wealth was, and still is, built on the unchecked proliferation of credit and fantasy real estate values.

The Germans - who have real wealth - have done pretty well out of selling stuff to the rest of the world (25% of GDP) and they've done it without emulating our obsession with owning property.

When you get your basic facts correct (it's closer to 50%), I'll take your opinions on economics a little more seriously.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

4 hours ago, Nurseynutcase said:

Returning to the UK is not an option - it is still too expensive compared to Thailand.

Just  Two week ago have trip to UK

just pu..ssy, massage,  low quality  apartment, Fuel.. may be some another few thinks.. cheapest in Thailnd.

Almost everything else is more expensive in Thailand.

Edited by ardokano

2 minutes ago, ardokano said:

Just  Two week ago have trip to UK

just pu..ssy, massage,  low quality  apartment, Fuel.. may be some another few thinks.. cheapest in Thailnd.

Almost everything else is more expensive in Thailand.

You've lost the plot!

Food in markets and stores is cheaper;

electricity is cheaper;

water is way cheaper;

petrol/diesel is cheaper;

transportation is cheaper;

taxes are less;

Do I really need to continue!!!

20 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

You've lost the plot!

Food in markets and stores is cheaper;

electricity is cheaper;

water is way cheaper;

petrol/diesel is cheaper;

transportation is cheaper;

taxes are less;

Do I really need to continue!!!

1) Food in markets and stores is cheaper  - no.. i like MEAT.. and i ca buy good stake cheapest in UK

I love the variety of food, even if it's fruits and vegetables.
  if you take the same set of fruits and vegetables. in Thailand that it will be more expensive.
   and some fruits and vegetables just hard available in Thailand.

as radishes, cherries, cherry, and other costs in Thailand?
Yes tropical fruits in Thailand cheaper.
  and that not all .. three bananas in London for 0.5
  as cereals.

2)electricity is cheaper- YES

3)water is way cheaper- if you talking about drink water -  NO. In London drink water its  from the tap. In supermarket its funny but watter in UK cheapest ..

4) petrol/diesel is cheaper-- YES and i say about

5)transportation is cheaper- Taxi yes.. own and use of any normal car NO. if you can compare other forms of public transport such as bus or intercity train you must be crazy or never used 

6)taxes are less- About what kinds of taxes you say?I am not a resident Thai or UK..  I only as buyer pay taxes so in Thailand it upper..

Edited by ardokano

Just now, ardokano said:

1) Food in markets and stores is cheaper  - no.. i like MEAT.. and i cane get good stake cheapest in UK

if you take the same set of fruits and vegetables. in Thailand that it will be more expensive.

as cereals.

3)water is way cheaper- if you talking about drink water -  NO. In London drink water its  from the tap. In supermarket its funny but watter in UK cheapest ..

5)transportation is cheaper- Taxi yes.. own and use of any normal car NO. if you can compare other forms of public transport such as bus or intercity train you must be crazy or never used 

6)taxes are less- About what kinds of taxes you say?I am not a resident Thai or UK..  I only as buyer pay taxes so in Thailand it upper..

I can't communicate with you, sorry, - out.

38 minutes ago, ardokano said:

1) Food in markets and stores is cheaper  - no.. i like MEAT.. and i ca buy good stake cheapest in UK

as cereals.

But you still have to pay for it, how much are water rates per month ?  :goof:

Edited by alfieconn

7 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

Don't be so silly, we buy 3 crates a week at 40 baht a crate, incidently you didn't answer my question !

please its you not be silly. i do not remember how much is it. i live in UK few year ago.

but I am sure its not be more than 2 GBP per m3.

i hope you can calculate?

Edited by ardokano

Just now, ardokano said:

please its you not be silly. i do not remember how much is it. i live in UK few year ago.

but I am sure its not be more than 2 GBP per m3.

i hope you can calculate?

So how can you say drinking water is cheaper in the UK when you don't know the price, best you come back with some figs when you find out how much it is in the UK.

5 hours ago, Nurseynutcase said:

I too have been affected by the fall in the pound.  I am calculating on a low of 40baht/pound if it drops that low i can still live here.  Returning to the UK is not an option - it is still too expensive compared to Thailand.

Will ride out the storm - I reckon in about a year the situation will start to recover.

My American friend remember the time of $1=£1 and I remember the Euro = £1 so been there before.

GBP may well recover at some point, as the exchange rate is relative, and other countries may hit the buffers at some point in the future. However, I expect GBP to remain weak for an extended period as we have two and a half years of negotiations with the EU ... a constant stream of uncertainty and bluster from both sides.

I sympathise with any Brit living on a fixed income in GBP terms ... as time progresses we'll all see Brexit for what it is, a slow motion car crash of the UK economy and it's future prospects. Reminds me of the book entitled "Extraordinary Delusions and the Madness of Crowds".

9 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

So how can you say drinking water is cheaper in the UK when you don't know the price, best you come back with some figs when you find out how much it is in the UK.

I do not remember exactly to the penny. if there is a difference in a couple of bat then I will clarify. I call my cousin. again the price of less than 2 pounds  per cubic meter.

its near 90 B

you say you buy

3 crates one week 40 b per crates.

how many cubic meter water is it? can you tell me?

7 hours ago, YeahSiam said:

I didn't mention their ages although I suppose if they're on pensions, they'd obviously be older.

Why would "Bremainers" be complaining? Brexit is a very divisive issue and there's bound to be heated discussion but it tends to be those who voted to leave who are concocting the conspiracy theories about the THB being "too strong" when it is the pound that it is too weak.

Not a day goes by without someone complaining because the Bank of Thailand hasn't weakened the baht when, according to them, the country is on its knees economically. 555

I think 3% (or thereabouts) growth is pretty decent compared with the UK which will be lucky if it grows 1.5% in 2016.

'Why would Bremainers be complaining' Well i am a Bremainer and i was horrified when the vote went for Brexit. I could not believe the percentage of people on Thai Visa who voted for Brexit. I think they must really have believed the Brexiters saying that the economic predictions if Brexit occured were 'scare-mongering'. If not that then i accept many did actually take a 'non selfish' stance which they may be regretting now. And now of course many Brexiteers are saying that the Gov / Bank of England are deliberately fixing things.

Brexiteers living outside of the UK have damaged both themselves and Bremainers primarily on the basis of one of three things.

Fear of Immigration and / or  Racism

Nationalism

Protest Vote

So yes i am angry (no point complaining)  that i am needing to tighten the belt a little. 

Edited by rogeroc

2 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

When you get your basic facts correct (it's closer to 50%), I'll take your opinions on economics a little more seriously.

Thanks for the correction (I couldn't be arsed to look it up.

Maybe now you understand why manufacturing and exports are more important than rampant expansion of credit.

7 hours ago, ardokano said:

I do not remember exactly to the penny. if there is a difference in a couple of bat then I will clarify. I call my cousin. again the price of less than 2 pounds  per cubic meter.

its near 90 B

you say you buy

3 crates one week 40 b per crates.

how many cubic meter water is it? can you tell me?

Never heard or known off water being calculated in cubic metre, don't you mean litres.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Thailand water supply filtered for drinking is way cheaper than UK and the water costs per month are faction of what they are in UK.

Are you sure?
  Firstly where is the guarantee will match the quality of water for drinking?
Those who set filetry this guarantee?
In the UK, you can sue the water supplier.
Secondly this is the complexity, cost, and how much the filter and install?

And need find company installer its this same time, and time its money..
In the UK, I went into the apartment and turned on the tap to drink. 
  And in Thailand, how much time? It may already want to change  place of residence when the filters become profitable.

5 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Domestic water bills in Thailand quote number of litres consumed per month.

"Never heard or known off water being calculated in cubic metre "

So you mean He didnt go Uk?:post-4641-1156694572:

Thai suppliers are not obliged to supply drinking water.

UK Suppliers must follow standards that allow to drink water.

If you can see   i am start answer alfieconn  about  tap water price in UK

In UK its in m3..

When there is nothing to object to in fact usually begin to pay attention to detail.
   Surprisingly, it is not yet mentioned about my bad English.:post-4641-1156694572:

"Never heard or known off water being calculated in cubic metre "

So you mean He didnt go Uk?:post-4641-1156694572:

Thai suppliers are not obliged to supply drinking water.

UK Suppliers must follow standards that allow to drink water.

If you can see   i am start answer alfieconn  about  tap water price in UK

In UK its in m3..

When there is nothing to object to in fact usually begin to pay attention to detail.
   Surprisingly, it is not yet mentioned about my bad English.:post-4641-1156694572:

The Water company in Thailand provides water (which meets or exceeds WHO guidelines)  to all homes here by one means or another, piped or via a well or by tanker - here, read up on their activities:

http://www.mwa.co.th/ewtadmin/ewt/mwa_internet_eng/main.php?filename=index

5 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

The Water company in Thailand provides water (which meets or exceeds WHO guidelines)  to all homes here by one means or another, piped or via a well or by tanker - here, read up on their activities:

http://www.mwa.co.th/ewtadmin/ewt/mwa_internet_eng/main.php?filename=index

So what?

This is even not funny  Its even not have any standards about Nitrite , Pesticides, Pesticides  and many ANOTHER ..

So fopr me WHO its nothing.. read European standards :)

So what?

This is even not funny  Its even not have any standards about Nitrite , Pesticides, Pesticides  and many ANOTHER ..

So fopr me WHO its nothing.. read European standards :)

Why read European standards, this is Thailand not Europe!!!

58 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Why read European standards, this is Thailand not Europe!!!

why you read WHO standards?

I like a lot more than the European standards.

Because they allow for more value and they are more severe.

Its can be called even Mars standards.. But WHO even not have any standards about Nitrite , Pesticides so  cant say trust as for drink water:post-4641-1156694572:

Do you think in Thailand Nitrite , Pesticides not affected for body?

Thailand's other laws of chemistry, physics and biology?:post-4641-1156694572:

but up to you of course

Edited by ardokano

19 minutes ago, ardokano said:

why you read WHO standards?

I like a lot more than the European standards.

Because they allow for more value and they are more severe.

Its can be called even Mars standards.. But WHO even not have any standards about Nitrite , Pesticides so  cant say trust as for drink water:post-4641-1156694572:

Do you think in Thailand Nitrite , Pesticides not affected for body?

Thailand's other laws of chemistry, physics and biology?:post-4641-1156694572:

but up to you of course

If you like and want European standards, go live there!

21 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah feel sorry for those ones ' oldgit ' mentioned,  the only ones l know who couldn't stay was because no more work in schools which has been sad as well as the long and hard work of getting their wives to UK .

l not know of any UK pensioners going back l'm the only English one in my village.

And the holier than now who thinks brexit is the cause why isn't the Euro higher than the £,  I still believe brexit was good for UK and should of happen sooner. 

My guess is it will be a long time before the exchange £ = baht picks up if ever.

What could effect me for a while is Thailand making an increase in showing money for yearly extensions.

l came when they put marriage from l think was 250k to 400k but l believe 250k guys were grandfathered not sure, l got retirement extension at the time.

I have no desire to return to the UK at all,  even though l have a daughter who can get me return tickets for £140 once a year.

When I came here to stay in October 1998 they were about to raise the financial requirement for retirement from 400K to 800K. Those on 400 K were grandfathered, but I was two days too late!

Tough shit.