Taking an over-stayer to a land border?

My friend lost his passport and by the time he got a replacement passport, his 30 day visa exempt had expired.  

He went to immigration and they wrote a letter out for him (i'm not sure what it says) but he told me that they said he can cross any border now he has his passport sorted out and can pay the over stay fee... anyway, its not really about that, I am not on overstay, I have a few days left before I need to leave, but I am wondering if I would get into any trouble if we were to get pulled together (in my car) on the way to the border town (i'm going to let him try and sort out his overstay on his own when we get there... i'll hang back a bit or go first)

I think thats all the info I have.

Edited by nickmanchester2

I am not sure why he did not pay the overstay fine at immigration.  Hopefully the letter says, "This farang lost his passport, got a new one, was late leaving, but did report himself to us.  If you catch him on the way to the border, go ahead and let him go there, pay, and leave."

If not, he could be arrested at a checkpoint on the way to the border, hauled back to the immigration-detention center, and deported.  You could plead ignorance of his situation, and would not be charged for transporting a criminal.

But if I had overstayed, I would just fly out.  Today.  A flight anywhere except Laos should work (they sometimes reject boarding to overstayers).  Bummer he will have a Thai overstay-stamp in his shiny, new passport, in any case.  Hopefully it is just for a few days.

Why would anybody take a letter from immigration written in Thai to immigration at a border checkpoint without first understanding what it says.  At least have someone that reads Thai roughly translate it for him!!   Or just bend over and kiss it goodbye!

• Like 2

No problems if it is under 90 days overstay.  It is always a good idea for an overstayer traveling with a group (e.g. border run group) to at least let the driver know well in advance they are on overstay.  Have the 500 baht/day cash in hand and it should just be a few minutes in the immigration office.  Who knows, they might not take the money or only some of it with the letter.

Each person goes through the line separately, so it is no big deal.

Edited by 4evermaat

2 minutes ago, 4evermaat said:

No problems if it is under 90 days overstay.  It is always a good idea for an overstayer traveling with a group (e.g. border run group) to at least let the driver know well in advance they are on overstay.  Have the 500 baht/day cash in hand and it should just be a few minutes in the immigration office.  Who knows, they might not take the money or only some of it with the letter.

Each person goes through the line separately, so it is no big deal.

Totaly agree point was if you get stoped on route to border.  Whole new ball game then. But I hope the letter does the trick and all goes smoothly.