Women In Business...

khall64au

I don't think this diving school would count under his criteria. He said large company which would mean US50 million revenue or more and over 500 employees. I would think this would be considered a small enterprise. Look at the CP website. It is still family run and all men.

Thailand is very much patriarchal, but that doesn't mean that the women are less capable. They are just given less opportunities to advance.

Anyone know of a large (not a mom and pop store)Thai business totally owned, operated and controlled by a woman, who has a majority of Thai men (not relatives) working for her?

More than a few as they even have their own organization, like a rotary club. The gals behind Ran Jae Leng, The Mall, S&P, Oishi Group (before she sold up and decided to do soap operas, commercials, etc. full time), and Golden Land to name a few. I think a lot of guys would be quick to say that they couldn't do it without the men (or their fathers, grandfathers, etc.) involved in their organizations, but IMO that's likely just envy/resentment talking. A huge % of the population here receive inheritances of one sort of the other; being a successful businessman or woman isn't just waiting for your folks or grandparents, etc. to die and collecting your deeds and checks.

:o

... it'll balance out in time. It's only been a generation or two where family assets have become more and more equally divided (between the sexes), including opportunities for study and extended education.

Edited by Heng

Thailand is very much patriarchal, but that doesn't mean that the women are less capable. They are just given less opportunities to advance.

I hope you didn't get the idea that I implied they were less capable. Just trying to negate the idea that the ones that have managed to advance have done so on their own merits. I don't think they have, not that they don't have merits, just, as you say, they are given less opportunities.

Been super-duper busy... wish I could keep up with a few more threads I started, but this one is quite close to my heart.

The woman I had in mind - for this thread - is a young lady (Thai) who started life as an orphan & who was lucky enough to meet an American friend willing to teach her the basics of dive training.

Fate came along - she was affected deeply by the 2004 tsunami - but emerged as a media ambassador for "Khao Lak tsunami survivors" and went on to win hard-earned status as one of few southern THAILAND'S FEMALE PADI DIVE INSTRUCTORS.

Nui has appeared on documentaries all over the world now... she is a LEGEND!

Check her out at: www.etcth.org

I work for a Thai woman who started her own company about 12-13 years ago and now employs over 100 people (including one Farang! :o ). Her employees are about 50/50 men and women.

The executives that she deals with - mostly bankers and heads of large stores - include both men and women.

I read somewhere that Thailand has more business opportunities for woman than almost any other Asian country and is on par with some western countries. Based on my personal experiences, I can believe it!