Proof of income for retirement

12 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Unless you have a spare 800,000 baht sitting in the bank, you will only require a letter from the bank every year, charge about 200 baht, depending on the bank and your bank book.

Interesting, 200 baht. Anyone know how much a check for the notary at US Embassy cost from Bangkok bank or Kasikorn bank ?  If you use the OUTREACH program they will not take American money; remember those notes that say legal tender for all debts public and private?  Guess those days are gone.

12 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Unless you have a spare 800,000 baht sitting in the bank, you will only require a letter from the bank every year, charge about 200 baht, depending on the bank and your bank book.

I believe my previous reply should have read, "If you have a spare 800,000 baht sitting in the bank", you will only require a letter from the bank, charge 200 baht, depending on the bank and your bank book.

25 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

Interesting, 200 baht. Anyone know how much a check for the notary at US Embassy cost from Bangkok bank or Kasikorn bank ?  If you use the OUTREACH program they will not take American money; remember those notes that say legal tender for all debts public and private?  Guess those days are gone.

Ahhhmmm.....IAmHERE---what you say is true? This is news to me. February 2016, I presented $50 USD to US Embassy OutReach program. Now---only baht accepted. Gold?

Anyone else can ascertain this info? I have no clue.....

14 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

If you have 800k in the bank as an American don't forget to file your FBAR also.

1 hour ago, burgdawg said:

Ahhhmmm.....IAmHERE---what you say is true? This is news to me. February 2016, I presented $50 USD to US Embassy OutReach program. Now---only baht accepted. Gold?

Anyone else can ascertain this info? I have no clue.....

This is what you missed:

https://th.usembassy.gov/new-outreach-policy-no-cash-accepted/

https://step.state.gov/step/ is one way to sign up for notifications from the US Embassy but they also issue updated info via LINE, Facebook and elsewhere.

https://th.usembassy.gov/social-media/

Edited by ThaiWai

24 minutes ago, Issanman said:

Notice that the embassy official exchange rate is listed on the right side of this page:

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/service-fees/

It has been pegged at 35 baht per dollar since at least August 8.

A bank draft for 1750 baht is currently needed to get the notary seal on the income statement.

The British Embassy charge £52 for the letter, which they say is Bht 2350. (£54.87 at todays rate)

3 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

If you have 800k in the bank as an American don't forget to file your FBAR also.

And claim the interest with the IRS because it will be over $10 in us money and the IRS will know about your account via the FBAR; easy money for them and they won't want baht.

2 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

And claim the interest with the IRS because it will be over $10 in us money and the IRS will know about your account via the FBAR; easy money for them and they won't want baht.

Not exactly accurate information.  If you are unhappy with your US citizenship you can renounce it.  Laws are laws you can abide by them or defy them.  The choice is, of course, always yours.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Issanman said:

Notice that the embassy official exchange rate is listed on the right side of this page:

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/service-fees/

It has been pegged at 35 baht per dollar since at least August 8.

A bank draft for 1750 baht is currently needed to get the notary seal on the income statement.

Wrong every year I pay in cash Thai baht for the last seven years.

brit embassy, its 2450 if you do by post as they do you for 100 baht for return ,postage, just had mine returned, wont get me having nearly a million in a thai bank for 3 months (800,000 + 3 months living expenses) bangkok Bank just told me today its 100 baht for the letter.

1 hour ago, ableguy said:

Wrong every year I pay in cash Thai baht for the last seven years.

Yes, that was true the last seven years, but this was part of the 17-October-2016 e-mail from the ACS announcing the outreach visit on Pattaya:

The Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok is pleased to provide services in Pattaya on Friday, October 28, 2016 from 10:00 AM – 1:30 PM at the:

Amari Garden Pattaya
240 Pattaya-Naklua Road, Pattaya, 20150

Tel. +66 (0) 3841 8418 Fax. +66 (0) 3842 8165
http://www.amari.com/garden-pattaya/

Services will be provided on a first-come, first-served basis; no appointment is necessary. 

BANK DRAFT POLICY

REMINDER The U.S. embassy will no longer accept cash (U.S. Dollars and Thai Baht) at Outreach Events for American Citizen Services.  This is a worldwide policy, and no exceptions can be considered. 

All payments at U.S. Embassy Outreach Events must be made in the form of a BANK DRAFT

·         Purchased from Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn Bank, or Siam Commercial Bank (SCB). 

o   You do not need an account at the bank to purchase a bank draft.

·         Purchased in advance. 

·         Made out to the “American Embassy Bangkok.”

·         In the exact amount of Thai Baht (THB) for your total service.

·         At the official embassy exchange rate at the time of the outreach.

o   Fees and exchange rates are listed below and posted on our website.

·         Submitted at the time of service.

13 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I believe my previous reply should have read, "If you have a spare 800,000 baht sitting in the bank", you will only require a letter from the bank, charge 200 baht, depending on the bank and your bank book.

I have currently six bank accounts in two banks (don't ask me why, it gets tedious). The most I ever paid was 100 Baht from Krungsri Bank, and once 150 Baht from Kasikorn. 200 Baht is a blatant rip-off!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

Not exactly accurate information.  If you are unhappy with your US citizenship you can renounce it.  Laws are laws you can abide by them or defy them.  The choice is, of course, always yours.

Done dude

12 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

Administrative Processing of Formal Renunciation of U.S. Citizenship: $2,350

On 10/27/2016 at 3:16 PM, IAMHERE said:

The IRS knows about your account from the IRS W9 form actually.  Thai banks often require US citizens holding bak accounts in Thailand to complete one.   KTB requested I file 2.  BKK bank has yet to request it.  There are apparently cracks to slip through.