Locals excited over rare knob-billed duck caught in Kamala

snoop1130

Locals excited over rare knob-billed duck caught in Kamala

Eakkapop Thongtub

1477477133_1-org.jpg

PHUKET:-- A local fisherman who caught an odd duck on Kamala Beach on Monday night (Oct 24) has handed the bird over to conservation officials to take better care of.

Suchon Kongngam, an official at the Khao Phra Thaew Wildlife Conservation Centre in Thalang, collected the duck from the home of Samran Inkaew after Mr Samran called the centre to report his discovery.

The rare duck has since been confirmed as a Sarkidiornis melanotos, or better known as a knob-billed duck or just a “comb duck”, as the animal features a comb similar to that of a goose.

“While I was fishing, I saw the duck caught in fishnets near rocks. I have never see a duck like this before, so I brought it home,” he said.

Mr Samran explained that he wanted officials to take care of the bird so that youngsters would have the opportunity to see the specimen.

“We rarely spot this species in Thailand,” conservation officer Mr Suchon explained to The Phuket News.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/locals-excited-over-rare-knob-billed-duck-caught-in-kamala-59594.php#esIdKKZ3wExjJ53p.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-10-26

Did any of them even consider perhaps this rare duck has chicks in a nest? That might be waiting for food to be brought? I can just see the locals scrambling to catch the rest of the local population to keep as pets.... leading to "end of story"

17 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Hope they treat it for any injuries and then release it.

Now here is a Thai I can tip my hat to. A kindred spirit. If we don't save the planet and its species I am sure ole Mother Nature will eradicate us and gradually the planet will revert to the once beautiful place it was before 2 squiggles mated somewhere in the water eons ago. 

signed Darwin The High Priest of Evolution

Edited by elgordo38

I came home to find my construction workers had put a net at the far end of my pond to catch birds, that wasn't there long but there are a lot of ponds here. I am starting to see more birds the last few years though. I try not to blame these people up here to much though as I don't remember going to bed hungry. I don't know where the nearly 100% employment stats come from, but Issan must be a separate country.

I don't think that it's so much about 'going hungry', or even poverty,  but rather culture and tradition.

I have seen lots of overweight Thai people catching and eating wild animals.. it was not out of hunger.  Have seen people catching and eating snakes, turtles, birds, wild ducks and pheasants, and endangered species such as different kinds of wild deer...

21 hours ago, Goldieinkathu said:

Me too. But I bet it ends it's days in that cage or someone buys it for a bird park .

There will be money to be made from that bird :wink:   :bah:

This duck will be destined for a restaurant catering for the Chinese.  It will be auctioned off to the highest Chinese diner, and promoted to them as an aphrodisiac. 

The Thai auctioneer will say, "This duck put more knob on your knob. Who want to open bidding?"  :smile:

22 hours ago, Grubster said:

I came home to find my construction workers had put a net at the far end of my pond to catch birds, that wasn't there long but there are a lot of ponds here. I am starting to see more birds the last few years though. I try not to blame these people up here to much though as I don't remember going to bed hungry. I don't know where the nearly 100% employment stats come from, but Issan must be a separate country.

Yes going to bed hungry is for the birds. I am glad your bird population is increasing. If the human population decreased some this would also help. Yes Issan has some poverty but its far enough away from Bangkok to go unnoticed by the purse string people. 100% employment strictly government propaganda. Governments are wizards with numbers. Maybe they could take a hunger and poverty poll but I doubt if they have time with the upcoming election and all. Governments are made up of rich people with different priorities. Sadly I think most of the provinces are not on that priority list. 

34 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Yes going to bed hungry is for the birds. I am glad your bird population is increasing. If the human population decreased some this would also help. Yes Issan has some poverty but its far enough away from Bangkok to go unnoticed by the purse string people. 100% employment strictly government propaganda. Governments are wizards with numbers. Maybe they could take a hunger and poverty poll but I doubt if they have time with the upcoming election and all. Governments are made up of rich people with different priorities. Sadly I think most of the provinces are not on that priority list. 

The religions of the world have said for many years that population is not a problem, Hence the quadrupling of world population in my lifetime.

3 minutes ago, Grubster said:

The religions of the world have said for many years that population is not a problem, Hence the quadrupling of world population in my lifetime.

Funny you should mention the quadrupling part I was just thinking and Googling that the other day. I am not of the "Go forth and multiply" crowd. I think we are about to enter the "Soylent Green" stage where they will want to recycle us old farts into "Green biscuits" for the upcoming masses craving cheap "nutritious food. When you see a convoy of garbage trucks going down your street in the dead of night you will know we have arrived and RUN!

1 minute ago, elgordo38 said:

Funny how the world  has quadrupled in your lifetime and mine and has ended up stupider than it was way back when you and I had Huck Finn as a hero. We are IT  and AI smarter but greed and not caring about our fellow man have replaced the "good old days" Well back to work on my time machine.

Sigh...

Another rare and endangered animal kept in a cage so that fat retarded Chinese tourist can ogle it. 

I wonder how long it will survive being fed cheap cat food kibble (see photo).

No doubt the duck will find its way to the Phuket zoo (or some other pay to view horror fest) to be showcased alongside the two baby orangutans.

Oh by the way, have you signed the protest petition yet:

Free the Baby Orangutans Kept Illegally at Phuket Zoo

17 minutes ago, Bulldozer Dawn said:

Sigh...

Another rare and endangered animal kept in a cage so that fat retarded Chinese tourist can ogle it. 

I wonder how long it will survive being fed cheap cat food kibble (see photo).

No doubt the duck will find its way to the Phuket zoo (or some other pay to view horror fest) to be showcased alongside the two baby orangutans.

Oh by the way, have you signed the protest petition yet:

Free the Baby Orangutans Kept Illegally at Phuket Zoo

Come on you knobs (just learned the meaning of this word) give the man a like and sign the petition. Is your grey covered grey matter stagnating?

3 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Funny how the world  has quadrupled in your lifetime and mine and has ended up stupider than it was way back when you and I had Huck Finn as a hero. We are IT  and AI smarter but greed and not caring about our fellow man have replaced the "good old days" Well back to work on my time machine.

If they only knew how stupid they look with that phone in their face at the dinner table. Yes man is evolving into something they will not like. Good luck to them I say. Finish the bucket list and goodbye for me. I'm only being nice to you because I still respect my elders. Ha