Not Ready: Indefinite Delay For PromptPay

webfact

Not Ready: Indefinite Delay For PromptPay

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter 

promptpay.jpg

Siam Commercial Bank holds a June 30 event encouraging people to register for PromptPay.

BANGKOK — A new national e-payment service set to launch on Halloween is not ready for prime time and has been pushed back into next year, though the government will begin providing some benefits through it.

After months of beating the drum to build interest in the new PromptPay service, the Bank of Thailand announced Oct. 13 it will be delayed to an unspecified date in the first quarter of 2017.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/business/2016/10/26/not-ready-indefinite-delay-promptpay/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2016-10-27

After months of beating the drum to build interest in the new PromptPay service, the Bank of Thailand announced Oct. 13 it will be delayed to an unspecified date in the first quarter of 2017.

In its announcement, the central bank said further system testing had to be completed but insisted all participating banks were ready on schedule.

So, if the banks are all on schedule, where does the blame for the delay rest?

In a country where official government departments with their own domains use hotmail email accounts, where government departments routinely inadvertently publish private data, where any government website actually functioning as intended or providing correct information is the exception rather than the rule - is anyone surprised by this?

16 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

from what someone posted previously on another thread the PromptPay service is not available to foreigners...please correct me if I am wrong...

When I use my BB debit card, after each transaction I get the option "do you want to enrol in PromptPay" - or words to that effect.  I haven't responded with a 'yes' yet, might try it next time and see what happens, unless someone else here has already done this???

Commo

On 10/27/2016 at 2:16 AM, tutsiwarrior said:

from what someone posted previously on another thread the PromptPay service is not available to foreigners...please correct me if I am wrong...

Last time i used my Bangkok Bank Debit card for a cash withdrawal, the ATM queried me if i would like to sign up for PromptPay. I declined, but next time will accept

yeah...every time that I log into K - bank cyber banking I get the same prompt but don't bother due to the previous info...

plus, there is an existing facility to pay bills and whatnot online using a routine tranfer of funds...need to see what the advantages of PromptPay are...if a thai national ID number is required to register with that service then what?

Edited by tutsiwarrior

On 28/10/2016 at 5:59 AM, Commogwinto said:

When I use my BB debit card, after each transaction I get the option "do you want to enrol in PromptPay" - or words to that effect.  I haven't responded with a 'yes' yet, might try it next time and see what happens, unless someone else here has already done this???

Commo

it asks me every time too when withdrawing money using BKK Bank debit card, even though I have already registered via the online banking (as I was asked there too when logging in some time ago).

On 10/26/2016 at 5:29 PM, BigBadGeordie said:

Clearly this is not due to a fault in the system or by the action/inaction of any Thai official. Bill Gates is the problem Microsoft are no longer supporting the OS (not even the legal copies).

unnamed.png

They built it around XP?  That seems pretty short sighted.

On 10/29/2016 at 9:18 PM, tutsiwarrior said:

^ which bank was that?

You don't need a Thai ID card to register....for a foreigner PromptPay will be registered against your mobile phone number instead of Thai ID card (which you don't have).   A foreigner just needs a passport and mobile number to sign up with their Thai bank.   Below is a Q&A from a Bangkok Bank Q&A webpage regarding PromptPay.

20. I am a foreigner. Can I register for PromptPay?
Yes. You can use your passport as an identification document and register for PromptPay, connecting only your mobile phone number with your preferred account.

Bangkok Bank Q&A webpage regarding PromptPay

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/NationalEpayment/Pages/PromptPayFAQ.aspx