Five die in horror smash on their way to a funeral

webfact

Five die in horror smash on their way to a funeral

a1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

SA KAEO: -- Five people were killed after a collision between a pick-up and a minivan in Sa Kaew province yesterday. All the victims were elderly relatives on their way from Buriram to a funeral in Sa Kaew.

The accident happened on the Sa Kaew - Sae-Or Road bear the Ban Tha Chang intersection, reports Daily News.

Witnesses said that the Sa Kaew registered minivan collided with the Bangkok registered pick-up with both vehicles ending up in the undergrowth.

In addition to the dead some 15 people were injured.

The dead were names as Jaroon Nilaphan, 97, Somjit Reuangsrichart, 60, Chamoi Nilaphan, 72, Prarom Phunthaweep, 60 and Mark Phunthaweep, 65.

The driver of the van, Ong-Art Sattham, 45, and the driver of the pick-up Den Duang Nilaphan, 35, both survived and are helping police with their inquiries.

The accident occurred 20 kilometers from where the funeral was being held at a house.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-10-28

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all of the years I have spent in Thailand I have never once witnessed a policeman issuing a speeding ticket. Where is the deterrent, other than your desire to protect those you have been entrusted to protect? Or your desire to see that your family members make it to their next birthday? Or just basic decency and respect for others?

"The driver of the van, Ong-Art Sattham, 45, and the driver of the pick-up Den Duang Nilaphan, 35, both survived and are helping police with their inquiries."

Yeah, whoever pays the most helps the most.

10 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

In all of the years I have spent in Thailand I have never once witnessed a policeman issuing a speeding ticket. Where is the deterrent, other than your desire to protect those you have been entrusted to protect? Or your desire to see that your family members make it to their next birthday? Or just basic decency and respect for others?

Thailand? Basic decency and respect for others? Never in Thailand.

97!!!  way to go.......

Had an idiot  right  up my  arse yesterday in single  file traffic, roadworks speed 80kmh,  looking for everyway to pass despite signs saying no overtaking and  bollards down the centre  line, could see the bogies up  his  nose he was that close.

Tug  of the handbrake had an effect for all of 5  minutes as the squealing of his  tyres echoed round me................they dont care and they dont learn.

Yesterday was pretty heavy rain here so I guess it  will be the rains fault anyones but the peanut brain behind the wheel

19 minutes ago, cms22 said:

Thailand? Basic decency and respect for others? Never in Thailand.

speed cameras yes theyre about, policeman are  too busy sleeping in their  boxes and why the heck do they need one at every junction? Oh I forgot its  just to make some cash from anything that WILL occur there.

Is  that the driver still asleep behind the wheel!

I recently stopped at a  gas  station to eat ,sat down and counted the amount of  cars that  pulled in with no seat belts on.............incredibly it was ALL of them, 20 vehicles.

Edited by kannot

41 minutes ago, Pimay1 said:

The BP reported the van was overtaking another vehicle when the head on crash occurred. Evidently the flashing of the headlights didn't work. RIP the deceased.

Yeah Ive had this and I refuse to budge, last guy  flipped his pick up as he fishtailed down the road to avoid me in a  similar head on and totally unnecessary  meeting..........the only way they will learn is when they are DEAD and to be honest thats the best thing that can happen to them, unfortunately they often  take others with them.

It's the five on a motorbike with NO LIGHTS on the WRONG side of the road AT NIGHT that freaks me out.  I was parked one night at a local food stall, looked behind in the rear vision mirror (because that's where the traffic comes from right?), nothing coming, so indicated pulled out and missed a family of five on a motorbike down my right hand side, on the wrong side of the road at night.  Never saw him coming, no street lights.  Crazy stuff...

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Do you drive a car?  Many times when I drove to the wife's village they have road blocks and being a farang get stopped, they give me a lecture, telling me that I was speeding even though they don't have a radar.  I always have 200 bahts at the ready, they put it in their pocket and let me go.  There is no sense arguing.  Amazing Thailand.

Edited by Gerard052

Firstly my condolences to all those that died and their families.

I have had one; for 200 Baht in Sakon Nakhon. That said I was on the Petchkasem Road the other day and the only time the traffic slowed was when a Highway Patrol car was spotted and a Policeman on a motorbike. Other wise the usual madness. So what do I see. A massive road block with literally more than a hundred Police in attendance; doing what roadblocks do; not a lot.

My question is simply would have it been a little more effective to have these Policemen going up and down the road? :jap:

Edited by KhunSteven

The guy at fault never dies...why is that?

it takes all of 5 minutes to determine what driver should be charged with gross vehicular manslaughter...that is what the article should be addressing not the drivers are cooperating and come to the conclusion no one at fault b/c the wronged driver couldn't see around the curve...pathetic critical thinking skills and lack of accountability. I guarantee it that the wrong driver in his mind didn't do anything wrong....that's how I always drive...

31 minutes ago, RareDingo said:

It's the five on a motorbike with NO LIGHTS on the WRONG side of the road AT NIGHT that freaks me out.  I was parked one night at a local food stall, looked behind in the rear vision mirror (because that's where the traffic comes from right?), nothing coming, so indicated pulled out and missed a family of five on a motorbike down my right hand side, on the wrong side of the road at night.  Never saw him coming, no street lights.  Crazy stuff...

I had this on Asoke last night at zero speed where a motorbike "taxi" was on the wrong side of the road and the car on the inside was blocked and the motorbike was blocking me. There are chains to stop this kind of thing along the road but that did not deter him. I stopped and blocked all the traffic behind me while he sorted himself out. He didn't look happy but that is his problem.

Police pull you over for 'driving while in possession of a white face.'  You are charged with speeding.  The cop who stopped me said I was doing 120.  I asked him how he knew; he said camera - he had a walkie-talkie & was in conversation with an oppo further back trained to spot farang faces.  I said I will pay when I see the photo.  'Cannot.'  I said, 'OK neither can I.' Then I drove away.

I've been fined a couple of times for speeding having supposedly gone through a radar beam although I was never always sure about that and paid at the roadside stall set up next to the roadblock where offenders were stopped.

However I have to say in all my time here I've never see a police MOBILE patrol of any description pull a vehicle over and on the highway it's common to see vehicles overtake patrol cars.

They pass out speeding tickets like hot cakes up here in Isaan.

1 hour ago, kannot said:

97!!!  way to go.......

Had an idiot  right  up my  arse yesterday in single  file traffic, roadworks speed 80kmh,  looking for everyway to pass despite signs saying no overtaking and  bollards down the centre  line, could see the bogies up  his  nose he was that close.

Tug  of the handbrake had an effect for all of 5  minutes as the squealing of his  tyres echoed round me................they dont care and they dont learn.

Yesterday was pretty heavy rain here so I guess it  will be the rains fault anyones but the peanut brain behind the wheel

You pulled on your handbrake at 80kph, in the rain, to deliberately rapidly slow down without warning in order to remonstrate with a driver behind you whose driving standards you didn't like and you refer to others as peanut brains?  Jeez.

2 hours ago, Pimay1 said:

The BP reported the van was overtaking another vehicle when the head on crash occurred. Evidently the flashing of the headlights didn't work. RIP the deceased.

Here I am, I'm illegally passing, you need to take evasive action, get out of the way! Smash. Officer I clearly gave him the passing signal and he was in the wrong. OK carry on.

1 hour ago, kannot said:

Is  that the driver still asleep behind the wheel!

I recently stopped at a  gas  station to eat ,sat down and counted the amount of  cars that  pulled in with no seat belts on.............incredibly it was ALL of them, 20 vehicles.

I think the van driver may be having a foot problem

It has stopped him from doing a runner

1 hour ago, kannot said:

road safety??? In Thailand??  funny

..and there you haveit1 Road safety in Thailand is very, very poor, but it is not just down to Thai driving - there are no more stupid drivers in Thailand than in any other country, it's just that here they get away with it.

Judging by the comments on TV on road safety I'd classify most farang drivers here in the very lowest category of skill development.

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

They actually do on the highways where cars are stopped at toll booths. On certain highways its speed cameras and they will send you a speeding ticket by mail. Some Thai friends say they never pay the tickets that come in by mail, because although there is a point deduction system in place, the speeding ticket information is not connected to drivers license database, so points are never deducted.

If you get stopped at toll booths, police takes away your license so you have to pay to get it back.