Duangtawan Hotel - is it good

cowboys2008

I've never been to Chang Mai.  Looking for a hotel near the night life, with a good swimming pool.  Is the Night Bazaar area where I want to be for the night life?  Is the Duangtawan Hotel any good and is it in a good location for the action.  It's about $80/night.  My budget is less then $100/night.

Thanks!

The swimming pool is very big, although if you're looking to swim laps it can get clogged with guests later in the afternoon.  The entire pool is about chest deep, so they just stand around and don't get out of your way.  

Plus, it's a dog-leg design which is both good and bad from a lap swimming stand-point.  Each leg is long enough for a decent lap, but it would have been brilliant for laps if laid out without the bend.  The good side of it being a dog leg is that one side is most always in the sun and the other in the shade, so you can take your pick depending on which you want -- depends on the time of year.  In the winter, you want to swim in the sunny side.  In the summer, you want to swim in the shady side.

4 minutes ago, cowboys2008 said:

What about the night life.  Is it near the beer bars?

According to many CM night life is in intensive care. You are just a short tuk tuk trip away from Le Kroh,where the boxing ring is, which on that side of the city is maybe the best there is.It's is quite a nice hotel.As someone has already posted check the travel sites for comments maps and options.

27 minutes ago, Rob13 said:

yes,walking distane to loi kro

its situated on Loykrou Road, cobber

23 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

. You are just a short tuk tuk trip away from Le Kroh,where the boxing ring is,

you got to be joking,  a short Tuk Tuk trip to the boxing ring?????????, perhaps a  good three wood away

you must have the wrong hotel, cobber, again  Duangtawan Hotel  is on Loykrou Road

Edited by evenstevens

Suriwong Hotel is next door and has some good prices depending on dates.

Not sure about the pool but looks OK in the pics.

Hotel went through some upgrading a few years back.

For general atmosphere would be my choice over Duangtawan.

2 hours ago, Phrafarang said:

I stayed at the Duantawan many times before I moved here, it is/was a good hotel. The only downside is that you can wait  a longgggg time for a elevator especially at breakfast time and early evening

Although they do have an express elevator at the end of the corridor which few people use.

I would skip the breakfasts though, it's like feeding time at a Chinese refugee camp. 

If you stay over New Year there is the compulsory Gala dinner thing, although maybe they'll cancel that this year.

The rooms are clean, staff are efficient if not overly friendly, and the location is very convenient for Loi Kroh and Night Bazaar.

I've been staying there once or twice a year for ten years or so, never had a bad experience.

Suriwongse pool is a non entity, however it is our chosen hotel for the first part of our stay in Chiang Mai on our next visit.

A friend and fellow forum member advised against the Duangtawan from experience.

Imperial Mae Ping will be the accommodation for the latter part of stay after a break in Bangkok.

Both can come in below the $ budget quoted depending on selected dates etc.

Having stayed at the Imperial Mae Ping previously we really enjoyed ourselves there.

3 hours ago, evenstevens said:

its situated on Loykrou Road, cobber

you got to be joking,  a short Tuk Tuk trip to the boxing ring?????????, perhaps a  good three wood away

you must have the wrong hotel, cobber, again  Duangtawan Hotel  is on Loykrou Road

Depends what sort of condition you are in :smile: have stayed there myself twice ." Loykrou Road ",love your spelling very original.

The last time I was visited Imperial Mae Ping to visit a mate it was full of Chinese tour groups in the foyer best to avoid,noise was deafening 

55 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Depends what sort of condition you are in :smile: have stayed there myself twice ." Loykrou Road ",love your spelling very original.

The last time I was visited Imperial Mae Ping to visit a mate it was full of Chinese tour groups in the foyer best to avoid,noise was deafening 

Most of Chiang Mai hotels have deafening Chinese tour groups.

When breakfasting with novice Chinese travellers for which the majority are, I'm not shy to point out that one does not put ham or any other edible which is non sliced bread through the toaster conveyors and will remove said article, I also advise fellow diners to close lids of buffet food Bain Marie's to retain the heat when casually browsing and is always met with apologies and affirmation to do so.

Choice of Imperial Mae Ping for the latter part of the stay is we will require only 1 room, therefore a Royal Suite which are limited and falls within our budget and possibly the OP's..

The main swimming pool is not an Olympic pool but is unobstructed, South facing and enjoys full day natural solar heating unlike many that participants become frigid like, due to ambient temperatures.

My thoughts, and many will differ,, caveat emptor.

There are still plenty of hotels/GH that do not have tour groups .Just needs a bit of reseach to find them,they are mostly "group free "a little bit on the outskirts of town.

Thats the future of Chiang Mai folks without them occupancy would be way ,way down.

I've met quite a few young Europeans lately that say CM has lost it for them,especially with early closing ,they say they wont be back but I guess thay are out numbered 10 to 1 by the new breed of tourists.

26 minutes ago, Chicog said:

On what grounds? I'd be interested to hear.

Have no grounds on a personal experience, but do respect the judgement of a friend and forum member through advised experience.

Possibly the grounds if expressed wouldn't bat an eyelid with "Les" subject to   Nickers, Knackers & Knockers paradigm, but suffice to say booked elsewhere.as detailed.

8 hours ago, Sparkles said:

According to many CM night life is in intensive care. You are just a short tuk tuk trip away from Le Kroh,where the boxing ring is, which on that side of the city is maybe the best there is.It's is quite a nice hotel.As someone has already posted check the travel sites for comments maps and options.

The address of the Duangtawan is 132 Loi Kroh Road.... unless you're falling over drunk you wont need a tuktuk to go anywhere.

To add to the conversation though the buffet is fairly ordinary for the money.

36 minutes ago, Paul Catton said:

Have no grounds on a personal experience, but do respect the judgement of a friend and forum member through advised experience.

Possibly the grounds if expressed wouldn't bat an eyelid with "Les" subject to   Nickers, Knackers & Knockers paradigm, but suffice to say booked elsewhere.as detailed.

No, I was just wondering what his beefs with the place were, that's all.

I had excellent opinions rendered about the Chiang Mai Plaza, but it turned out to be an overpriced dump run by a bunch of idiots.

In fairness, I would have known that if I'd read some Tripadvisor reviews first, but I too followed someone else's "recommendation".

Edited by Chicog

It was me, the secret is out.  Appreciate the confidentiality Paul. My wife and I stayed there a couple of years ago. The room whilst big was very dated and the bathroom needed some major surgery. It also felt very old the style of the bathroom and rooms. Didn't experience any Chinese tour groups and the pool was nice and big as quoted. My hotel of choice in the area has always been Raming Lodge, we have always been very satisfied there. Have to say again no Chinese tour groups when we have stayed there. Never used the pool at the Raming Lodge its outside a short walk next to the car park so may not be ideal for all and its quite small.  On the plus side the rooms are very big as is the bathroom and the breakfast isn't bad compared to other hotels we have stayed in. It's a buffet with bacon so that ticks the boxes for me as I am based in Dubai! :-)

Good luck on whatever you choose, I am sure others can recommend other hotels nearby.  I myself prefer the smaller ones, Dungtawan is one of the larger ones.

3 minutes ago, EL159 said:

If you re "looking for a hotel near the nightlife" I have a few suggestions:

1. Sukhumvit Road, Bangkok

2. Beach Road, Pattaya

3. Bangla Road, Patong.

Bit far from CM though; innit

I had family stay there, main complaint was the noisy neighbours, one day it was Indians, the other it was Chinese, and they could hear everything (through the very thin walls). Secondary complaint was the slow elevators.

For nightlife, Loi Kroh Road is Chiang Mai’s red light district, unsure if that is what you are after. When I am showing friends around town, I do my best not to cross this street, for many people it’s quite the embarrassment.

Chiang Mai has quite a lot of universities, so there is real nightlife to be found. If that is what you’re after, you should pick another place.

12 hours ago, lkn said:

I had family stay there, main complaint was the noisy neighbours, one day it was Indians, the other it was Chinese, and they could hear everything (through the very thin walls). Secondary complaint was the slow elevators.

I doubt they heard anything through the walls!

However, the doors aren't that thick and there are many between adjoining rooms. I've never had the misfortune to have noisy neighbours; if I did they would be asked to quieten it down. Sure the odd bang or whatever, but nothing that's kept me awake (and I'm not a particularly deep sleeper).

The elevators aren't slow, but if you try and go down from a high floor any time around breakfast expect a stopper. And yes, that makes it slow (and hot!). 

That's why the Express lift at the end, which doesn't get so much business, is a godsend at that time of day.

I did have one stay where I was next to the Housekeeping room (for one night! - I moved). Now that was a pain, because the phone kept going from about 5am and it was particularly piercing.

So I always stay at the opposite end of the corridors from the lift.

17 hours ago, lkn said:

For nightlife, Loi Kroh Road is Chiang Mai’s red light district, unsure if that is what you are after. When I am showing friends around town, I do my best not to cross this street, for many people it’s quite the embarrassment.

Chiang Mai has quite a lot of universities, so there is real nightlife to be found. If that is what you’re after, you should pick another place.

I'm not embarrassed, nor do I know anyone else who is embarrassed by the presence of a red light district in Chiang Mai. In addition to the bars where favor may be rented by the hour - some of Chiang Mai's best restaurants (and indeed possibly its best burger joint) can be found on Loi Kroh. It would seem remarkable to be so embarrassed that you deny yourself the pleasure of eating because you can't go "yeah, prostitutes and punters" *shrug* 

6 hours ago, TheSiemReaper said:

I'm not embarrassed, nor do I know anyone else who is embarrassed by the presence of a red light district in Chiang Mai. In addition to the bars where favor may be rented by the hour - some of Chiang Mai's best restaurants (and indeed possibly its best burger joint) can be found on Loi Kroh. It would seem remarkable to be so embarrassed that you deny yourself the pleasure of eating because you can't go "yeah, prostitutes and punters" *shrug* 

Some of the best restaurants in Chiang Mai? I thought they were mostly serving Western food, which is generally a disappointment in Thailand (because it’s hard to get the proper ingredients), so I hadn’t considered this street interesting for its food options. If you have specific recommendations, do tell.