Why so much criticism of Thailand?

joeyg

19 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

So the OP is Happy & Loaded and this is what he chooses to do with his time?

Sometimes.  Haven't started a thread in quiet a while.  Though about this for a while.  Do have to go soon though.  You post is passive aggressive and sad quite frankly.

My life now is dedicated to fun, fitness, good diet and nutrition, trying to be a good Buddhist, which I'm not but still trying.  My meditation is on Guan Yin, her beauty and instructions.  I work with HIV positive orphans here and still doing a bit of Medical Technical Writing.

If you look at my post history, it's pretty sparce.

Please don't hate me for being successful.

Edited by joeyg
spelling

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Inability to assimilate (nobody's fault, just the huge disparity in cultures) causing a subconscious frustration leading to criticism in the vague hope that a challenge to a particular criticism will lead to enlightenment?

Edited by piersbeckett
ommision of 'to'

12 hours ago, performance said:

I am forward a documented list of reasons. Hey you must be a new arrival. Welcome we like virgins.

Nah first arrived here in 1971 via US Military.  I am a virgin though... :shock1:

17 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Sometimes.  Haven't started a thread in quiet a while.  Though about this for a while.  Do have to go soon though.  You post is passive aggressive and sad quite frankly.

My life now is dedicated to fun, fitness, good diet and nutrition, trying to be a good Buddhist, which I'm not but still trying.  My meditation is on Guan Yin, her beauty and instructions.  I work with HIV positive orphans here and still doing a bit of Medical Technical Writing.

Sparse but long-winded. I worked on Tibetan Buddhist translations almost 50 years ago. But I never really appreciated Buddhism until I saw the girls making their offerings before going to work in the knocking shop. If I can't hate you for being successful, can I just hate you vanilla style?

Edited by JLCrab
50 not 40

12 hours ago, Strange said:

Same in my place man one price for activities. Tourist towns are more expensive for everyone not just one demographic. Locals just know what to avoid and where to go. 

Thailand? Straight up foreigner targeting. Not just tourist places but in day to day life. 

Wrong.  Locals get in at discounts or many times free.  Not an option for tourists.  If you were behind me in line you'd be paying $119.00 Would you be offended if I was to get into Disneyland free.  

Off topic

1 minute ago, JLCrab said:

Sparse but long-winded. I worked on Tibetan Buddhist translations almost 40 years ago. But I never really appreciated Buddhism until I saw the girls making their offerings before going to work in the knocking shop. If I can't hate you for being successful, can I just hate you vanilla style?

Up to you.  Better not to hate anyone though.   Fan of Watts?

11 hours ago, ChidlomDweller said:

Jeez man, don't remember coming across anyone on the internet this full of it.  I lived as a foreigner in the US for 10 years, now 3 years in Thailand.  The US has its problems but your critique is just way out of control hyperbole.  How many millions here get by on less than 10,000 Baht a month, never having had the benefit of a decent education?  Talk to them about the social justice they're getting.  Shameful.

Well that is an "opinion."

19 hours ago, lucky11 said:

How wonderful for an American to be telling the truth as to how it is in his own country. You are spot on in all you say!! All of this freedom talk is a load of crap - you don't have any freedoms any more as corporations and the most reviled company in the world (Monsanto) run the show there.

Not entirely true. There are no instances of people being jailed in America for criticizing a Monarch because there IS no monarch. Defamation cases do not automatically mean a jail sentence until you are proven guilty.

12 hours ago, Xircal said:

Nobody rips off tourists in Western countries. I live in the Netherlands for example and tourist prices are the same as the locals pay. If other Western countries were perpetuating the kind of overcharging that takes place in Thailand it would be all over the news media in no time at all.

No.  I can get into Disneyland free or at 50% off.  You pay "$119.00 for the day.  Of course save some money for the tourist tax when returning to BKK.

12 hours ago, 212Roger said:

"Hardworking?"  Mexicans and Filipinos are "hardworking."  Not Thais.

Wrong.  I have spent lots of time in Yasothon during rice harvest.  Will be heading there again for this years.

Lots of hard work to go around.  Spent years traveling extensively in Mexico and was stationed for a time in The PI.  Tell me all about it.

11 hours ago, Squeegee said:

Indeed it is a sad response to claim you are "simply asking a question" when really you are a whiner, whining about "so much" - your expression, sir - criticism.

This topic is nothing but a negativity-fest, where whiners hypocritical whiners and deluded whiners can come and whine. In actual fact, the topic isn't particularly for the basic whiners (about issues), but is really for the hypocritical and deluded whiners.

So you guessed right and the glass is half full, despite your negative topic.

Sure it is.

7 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Up to you.  Better not to hate anyone though.   Fan of Watts?

You brought up the not hating you because you are successful -- as long as you don't hate me because I'm beautiful

Fan of Watts? Big time.

0ec66a37770c8277fd1428d928d5e275.jpg

11 hours ago, sanemax said:

A market stall holder can set his price and its up to the buyer whether he decides to purchase or not .

Non market shops have clearly marked prices . Hotels, restaurants , shops have clearly marked prices and those prices are the same for everyone .

Gouged!!!! Ouch... LOL

Just now, JLCrab said:

You brought up the not hating you because you are successful -- as long as you don't hate me because I'm beautiful

Fan of Watts? Big time.

0ec66a37770c8277fd1428d928d5e275.jpg

Figured...

11 hours ago, Strange said:

Did I say anything about 7-11, Tesco, or KFC? 

Im talking about a street stall, market, you know, where the majority of Thai people buy stuff and wander around. 

You know, the places without price tags? And even when they do have price tags, you know that shit is negotiable and a Thai gets more of a discount than a foreigner (for the most part, if you go to the same markets all the time you don't need to fixate)

I'll be out of this soon.  Some are really getting to "show their colors now"

Off topic

2 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Am aware that there are Thais who are not, but the ones we deal with perform.  If properly motivated, their saving grace is their patience. 

On this happy note I will depart.  This thread has followed an extremely predictable course.  I prefer not to ride it into the gutter.  Thanks again for paying.  And remember only floss the teeth you want to keep.

5 minutes ago, joeyg said:

On this happy note I will depart.  This thread has followed an extremely predictable course.  I prefer not to ride it into the gutter.  Thanks again for paying.  And remember only floss the teeth you want to keep.

Ride it into the gutter -- huh? That's where it started

23 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Asked previously but you ignored the question.  Again no offense it's a serious question. And my career was in Medicine.  Are you under the influence of drugs?  Or do you have a history of alcohol or drug abuse.  A substance abuse history would explain much about the pattern of your responses.  I understand it might be embarrassing to reply in the open forum in front of other "BMs."  Please feel free to PM me.  There is treatment out there.

My pattern of responses to you are valid and have some thought, whereas yours are nothing but chickenshit attempts to deflect and call me a drug addict with a mental health problem. You never intended to discuss anything when creating this thread, you just wanted to diss the USA and get yourself some anti-american nut-huggers. There are a lot of posters that have actually taken time to type out replys to you, and you just reply with "I don't agree" or "Are you mentally ok?" without validating your position. You reply to several posters with dumb one-liners like everyone else is stupid, and this tells me that you have no intention to discuss anything. 

The point is, no matter what you think, you are, and always will be, a guest here. You are not protected. Thailand does not even notice you. I like Thailand, its why I chose to live here, but after 10 years, most of your perceived "Thai Bashing" is usually valid. 

18 minutes ago, joeyg said:

So you had a great career, wealth, and life in the USA, decide the place is a corrupt and morally bankrupt hellhole (your opinion) and move to a place where corruption is a rampant part of everyday life, mothers persuade their daughters into prostitution, force them into prostitution, sell them to the highest "bidder", and its done like its a completely normal thing to do. Child abuse is rampant, animal cruelty is rampant, road fatalities are rampant, political assassinations are rampant, government school systems are corrupt, on and on and on.... But its all ok as long as people smile and make merit and don't talk about it. 

This is not Thai Bashing, its the truth. There are a lot of good people here but so many morally bankrupt people take away from it all. You are just a hypocrite in your beliefs. You don't appreciate where you came from and the privilege it has provided for you and bash the US. In several of your posts you state that any idiot can be wealthy if they work hard and you deserve what you have.

Well, must be a good country that can allow someone like yourself to prosper and thrive, then run away from it all and bash. If you really cared and felt truly in your beliefs, you would sell off your assets in the US and renounce your citizenship. But no, you won't do that cause you feel a sense of entitlement. 

Enjoy your rose tinted glasses and moral hypocrisy. 

People bitch wherever they are, it's part of human nature. If you sit in company and continually praise things you'll soon get the reputation of being a bore. You need criticism to start stimulating conversations, it's just the way life is. People who say they don't bitch are normally hypocrites or greaseballs. Bitching is also theraputic that's why I feel a lot better now.

13 hours ago, Xircal said:

Nobody rips off tourists in Western countries. I live in the Netherlands for example and tourist prices are the same as the locals pay. If other Western countries were perpetuating the kind of overcharging that takes place in Thailand it would be all over the news media in no time at all.

Yo have obviously avoided it, or haven't noticed it, funny that, just tell a taxi driver to take you to Bondi Junction from Sydney airport, and when he asks you where are you from, don't tell him you your from Sydney, tell him your from the Greece and wacth him take you via the City, the long way around, costing you much more, or buy a can of lemonade outside the Colosseum and watch them overcharge you by 100%, because when you ask your Italian mate next to you how much did you pay for his lemonade from the same guy, it sucks, Greeks in the Greek islands overcharging for food, jet skis, accommodation, Germany, Switzerland, etc, etc, well they are my experiences, I put it down to human nature, and the numbers game.

Like I said, its advertised in the open like in Thailand, funny thing is, you either accept their way or you don't, personally I prefer them telling me it costs 200 baht because your a falang, as rude as it appears, its their way, then I can say, no thank you, see, its up to me, getting ripped without knowing it is worse in my opinion, because when we find out, we are pissed off, but we have to accept it too, because the horse has bolted, (too late).

As westerners/foreigners or whatever we are here, we have a choice to say, no thank you, we don't have to agree with their charges, just duck and weave, because we shouldn't be wanting to change their ways in their country, as much as we would like our home comforts/principals here, we are in a different world, not country 555

Remember one thing, the two rule policy is there for a reason, could it be, that it is because as falangs we can afford it, and most Thai's cannot?

Personally I think it should be a world thing, whereby locals in their country don't pay, as they pay enough in taxes, and foreigners do pay, do you think we will see this in our life time, I don't think so. 

Edited by 4MyEgo

54 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Remember one thing, the two rule policy is there for a reason, could it be, that it is because as falangs we can afford it, and most Thai's cannot?

Personally I think it should be a world thing, whereby locals in their country don't pay, as they pay enough in taxes, and foreigners do pay, do you think we will see this in our life time, I don't think so. 

You and me, we see the world very different. The price is the price, weather your rich or not. As far as Thai tourist attractions charging more for foreigners, I never really had a problem with it $1 or $4 who cares. But there is a lot more to it, than that. We are looked at as "rich" and in a lot of Thais minds that means we should pay more for everything cause we have money. I don't agree with this and I don't agree with you. 

I reject the original comparison. There is good and bad in every society. I'm quite happy here. There's much to like. On the other hand, there's much to dislike, and I'm sure the OP will discover it in time. I generally like the Thai people, but every time I encounter arbitrary and ever-changing hoops I have to jump through to, say, open a bank account, buy a car, get a stupid cell phone --well, long time ex-pats know what I mean -- I remember how easy it all was back in the US.

And every time I go for my 90 day or get my annual extension, I compare it with how trivial it was for my Thai wife to get a Green Card (good for 10 years!) and thereafter easily become a citizen of the United States.

The posters citing the way foreigners are regarded by the bureaucrats here are absolutely correct. I have to rely on my wife much more here than she had to rely on me back in the US. Nevertheless, for the time being I find everyday life better here, despite being perceived as a lesser human being by the authorities.

9 minutes ago, Strange said:

You and me, we see the world very different. The price is the price, weather your rich or not. As far as Thai tourist attractions charging more for foreigners, I never really had a problem with it $1 or $4 who cares. But there is a lot more to it, than that. We are looked at as "rich" and in a lot of Thais minds that means we should pay more for everything cause we have money. I don't agree with this and I don't agree with you. 

Fair comment. 

I avoid them, through choice, its not about the $1 or the $4, its about telling me up front, which gives me the choice, as opposed to someone ripping me off.

Yes Thai's see us as rich, we are, compared to them, and that is how they will always see us, you can't change that.

So we agree to disagree 555

Edited by 4MyEgo

20 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I avoid them, through choice, its not about the $1 or the $4, its about telling me up front, which gives me the choice, as opposed to someone ripping me off.

But you don't have a lot of choice, and you don't know sometimes when you are getting gouged. Buy an air-con at a "shop" and while it may have a listed price, we both know that its a numbers game and the discount favors what they believe you can afford. Its not like US or AU where we can research an item online and get a baseline of the actual cost, or see online what people pay for a certain product. Or word of mouth on where to go for a certain price because what you pay, what a Thai pays, or what I pay, in the end, is going to be different. 

I don't really complain about this, I just pay most of the time. Ill pay a little extra to avoid the hassle or drive blindly to 4-5-6 shops to save 1K baht. But Im very aware of it and don't agree with it. I also think its a shit business plan to gouge, lie, and scam to sell a product for maximum profit to 1 customer when you can sell 10 for cheaper and keep customers but hey, its their house & their rules. 

You say I can't change they way they view me as rich, well, I can. I don't associate with anyone that views me like that, just like I don't hang out in a trailer park in the US. 

I play the game to save myself the hassle but I don't agree with it.