Was it a poisonous snake - help please?

cliveshep

Actually  I answered this before It is the rare Ebee Jeebee Snake Very cunning dangerous

They hide  in dark places and once you are not looking then lunge for your wallet

If you are really nice to them then they will try and introduce you to their family and take all your worldly possessions

Much like the bar girls in Pattaya do

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, jimmybkk said:

I've had to deal with 5 Malaysian pit vipers over the years, and on one occasion I caught sight of one in my front yard at night, and it got away from me whilst i went to get a decent light. Sure enough, 2 days later it was in my front yard again, so it's not strictly true to say that they will always move on somewhere else if you just usher them off your property.

Agree with all the comments about not killing the harmless ones - most people have mobile phones and internet access - easy enough to do a search for what kind of snake it is before you decide to kill it. Personally I prefer not to leave one of those pit vipers alive if I find it around my house. They say that snakes will only attack if they are hunting for food or if they feel threatened... well, they reckon the pit viper is Thailand's deadliest snake and I feel threatened by those things so I feel that killing them is the sensible thing to do, rather than risk the lives of my family and pets.

From my experience I have found that the best tool for taking on a dangerous snake is a length of hose pipe around 3'-4' long, preferably filled with sand.

How do you know it was "exactly" the same pit  viper? Did it have a tattoo you could identify it by? or does it answer to its name? These are very common in Thailand Ive had 6 over the last 3-4 years........Malay pit  vipers are lazy and wont move

59 minutes ago, madusa said:

God turned the walking stick of Moses into a snake didn't he? Moses was showing some supernatural power to the pharasees in the jewish temple (pharasees are jewish people during moses time). That turning of a tree stick into a snake is a trick many magician can do.

God loves snakes, if snake kill you then too bad, obviously God doesn't love you enough, simple minded thinking. You will be happy if you are simple minded, like loving God in the first place.

The flip phone on the Jetsons came true, I need to watch some reruns for future insight.  When did you see this Moses show.

21 minutes ago, zd1 said:

We are in the process of moving back to Thailand from the UK and rightly or wrongly we are taking our dog and cat with us. Snakes are one of the issues we have as our animals aren't used to snakes and I was wondering if there is some sort of electric type snake thing we could buy that gives our animals a small shock when they touch it, so that they become wary of snakes. I think that this would be the best option as this would instil a fear of snakes in our animals so that they then avoid them, rather than to try and eradicate all the snakes in the vicinity of where we will be living. I don't know if such a device is available but I will be looking for one if they are.

Only thing I can think of but I would never use is one of them shock collars for dogs. You can get a fake snake and tie fishing line to it and if the dog shows interest when you pull the line give it a quick shock. This would put the dog off possibly.

This is the extreme method of possibly saving your dogs life I guess . I have read of doing similar methods without the shock collar and training the dog over and over so it just leaves snakes alone full stop. Possibly you could dismantle the collar and connect it to the fake snake somehow .

Edited by ronaldo0

Please don't kill any animal if you don't plan to eat it!

If a snake disturbs or makes you fear for your life or your dogs, use the hose and guide it with the water jet to the way out. Or keep yourself and your dogs inside and call the fire department, they will come, catch the snake and bring it in the forest.

To avoid snakes coming in your garden, don't let trees or grass touch the wall (outside) around your house.

And If you keep it (inside) free from everything, snakes will follow it and find the gate to go out.

There are many snakes in my garden, specially after the rain. They come in to eat the frogs. I never killed any of them. I catch them with a self-made catcher (I wrote a post about it) and let them free over the wall.

4 hours ago, masuk said:

Personally, I think people who come here to live should do a little study of the environment here.

If you did this in Australia, and it was a python or protected species, you'd be minus a bit of cash.

Think before you kill, and remember, most people who are bitten by snakes, is when they've trying to destroy them.

Totally agree with you. Snakes attack when either you attack them or put them in a position of no other way out except to attack.

6 hours ago, akirasan said:

Incidentally if anyone around the Surin area ever wants any snakes removed I'm happy to do it, just pay for my fuel to get there.  I used to do this in Australia and have training and a licence.  

Can you get rid of my landlord?...he's a snake..........

4 hours ago, gandalf12 said:

Totally agree with you. Snakes attack when either you attack them or put them in a position of no other way out except to attack.

Not necessarily true, some of the bamboo snakes (Chinese or white lipped pit viper) are very aggressive and will sit in a bush (or a box) and totally unprovoked will strike if you go near. Russells Vipers are really bad at this, but fortunately quite rare. Malaysian pit vipers have the same nasty habit of not moving away and kraits can be downright bad tempered. Also not so common fortunately

Spitting cobras are unpleasant and sometimes it is not just possible to avoid killing snakes. But it should not be done unless the situation is dangerous.

I think that killing Pythons is actually against the law and a snake catcher should be called to take them away.

NB Malaysian pit vipers are not the most venomous snakes in Thailand. King Cobras,  Monocled Cobras (any cobras), Kraits, Russells Vipers and some of the sea snakes (no anti-venom) are much more venomous.

10 hours ago, akirasan said:

Hahaha!

ok you made me laugh but Ill simplify it a bit because this is one thing that does irk me..

If you bite it and you die it's poisonous.  If it bites you and you die, it's venomous.

It irks you? A we bit anal are we? Must be more in life that is more serious to " irk you"  55555

9 hours ago, Grubster said:

The flip phone on the Jetsons came true, I need to watch some reruns for future insight.  When did you see this Moses show.

OMG! The imaginary friend for adults can turn up in the most unusual places. Even posts about snakes. A free ad sponsored by the born again lung,liver and christian cronies

10 hours ago, kannot said:

How do you know it was "exactly" the same pit  viper? Did it have a tattoo you could identify it by? or does it answer to its name? These are very common in Thailand Ive had 6 over the last 3-4 years........Malay pit  vipers are lazy and wont move

OK, Despite the sarcasm you are correct. I cannot say with 100% certainty that it was "exactly" the same snake, but I've had 5 of these in my yard over the past 10 years, i.e. an average of one every 2 years. So when I see one and I lose track of it and then see another one 2 days later less than 8' from where I saw the previous one, I suppose it is possible that 2 Malaysian pit vipers happened to be passing by my place within 2 days of each other and they both happened to come in and take a rest in my yard, but I think it is unlikely given their infrequent appearance over the years. As you correctly say, they are lazy and won't move, so i'm gonna stick with my assumption that in all likelihood it was the same snake.They are also very aggressive and kill more people in Thailand than any other snake. If you get bitten by one you need to get to a hospital fast - if you don't you will most likely lose the part of your body where you were bitten or else you will die.

If you want to offer assurances to people that they are safe to just direct a snake like this off their property and they shouldn't worry about it coming back, that's up to you, but from my own personal experience I am not so sure that is the truth, and I prefer to err on the side of caution where these things are concerned.

Attached is a pic of the first one I came across - it was night time, it was motionless and coiled up in the shadows about 4 feet away from where my dog was sleeping. They're not a big snake, and coiled up it was not much bigger than the size of a mosquito coil.

NB I never said they were the most venomous, I said they were the deadliest, i.e. more people die from getting bitten by these things than any other snake in Thailand. Apologies if that is incorrect.

Snake 1.jpg

20 hours ago, dotpoom said:

What is this obsession some people have with slashing a creature to death just because it's sunning itself in your garden. . . even if it was poisoness? I live partially in the sticks and have seen a few snakes in my garden and even in my kitchen, I just love admiring them. If I leave them alone they just meander off on their way after they get bored having me around. 

I once heard it said that all life is a witness to God's existence. 

Yes lovely, but the fear and desire to get rid of them stems from the fact that some types are extremely poisonous and could result in the death of a pet, or God forbid a young child. Personally I catch them and move them elsewhere, even if they are harmless, the wife is terrified of all snakes.

21 hours ago, akirasan said:

Incidentally if anyone around the Surin area ever wants any snakes removed I'm happy to do it, just pay for my fuel to get there.  I used to do this in Australia and have training and a licence.  

I know a couple of property developers and an influential loan shark  ...are you qualified for that?

12 hours ago, MiKT said:

Not necessarily true, some of the bamboo snakes (Chinese or white lipped pit viper) are very aggressive and will sit in a bush (or a box) and totally unprovoked will strike if you go near. Russells Vipers are really bad at this, but fortunately quite rare. Malaysian pit vipers have the same nasty habit of not moving away and kraits can be downright bad tempered. Also not so common fortunately

Spitting cobras are unpleasant and sometimes it is not just possible to avoid killing snakes. But it should not be done unless the situation is dangerous.

I think that killing Pythons is actually against the law and a snake catcher should be called to take them away.

NB Malaysian pit vipers are not the most venomous snakes in Thailand. King Cobras,  Monocled Cobras (any cobras), Kraits, Russells Vipers and some of the sea snakes (no anti-venom) are much more venomous.

Lets agree to disagree on this or we will go on for ever

People who say I'll killed the snake with a machete had better think twice about it. The majority of the time when people say they "have" killed the snake with a machete, the snake was actually"running away" from them. If it's running away, then they were not in any danger, so why kill them?  OK, you say they were coming at you (you know for sure it venomous).  I doubt very seriously you could react fast enough to raise your machete and make a perfect strike on the snake. They are much faster than you think.

Do the math. Being very conservative here, for one you are standing maybe slightly bent over. Your arm with the machete is what about 1 meter long. So the reach the ground were the snake is you'll need to reach out what 1.5-2 meters?  You have to reach down and strike it before it strikes you. Can you do all this in less than .5 seconds accurately?  An aggressive snake such as a grown Russell's Viper is at least 2 meters long. They have the ability to coil itself to strike in less than a third of a second. It can strike in one tenth of a second  using 1/3  to 50 percent of its body lenght. Actual measured speeds of non-venomous snakes strikes equates to a snake traveling at 100 meters per second during the strike. The same speed of venomous snakes. It can be at your feet faster than you can reach it and typically you do not have boots on. Besides you have to be much more accurate than it and it never fails that in your excitement you will need to strike it several times. It only needs to hit you once. People have gotten bitten by what they thought was a "dead" snake.

That is why it is really easier to let the snake go off on it's merry way than to be a hero.

Edited by Mrjlh
spelling

5 hours ago, gandalf12 said:

Lets agree to disagree on this or we will go on for ever

Not quite sure what we are agreeing or disagreeing on?

If you think Pit Vipers (including Malaysian,  Bamboo snakes, Russells, etc don't bite unprovoked, then you have not met as many as I have in  SE Asia, including Malaysia, HK and Singapore.

Even the green tree snakes that look like Bamboo snakes will bite at the slightest provocation.

I think jimmybkk is quite correct in that Malaysian Pit Vipers bite more people than any other snake in Thailand and Malaysia. Not the most venomous but the most dangerous.

But I don't think Mrjlh  can actually have met many snakes to post such theoretical nonsense. By all means let them go if possible. It’s just not always possible and they are not all 2 m long. I very nearly got bitten by a 4 inch long cobra I thought was a coiled up worm in a bathroom and went to pick it up. They still have enough venom to kill you and it’s not always easy to muck about trying to get rid of a snake when you are running around naked, especially if it’s not your home.

And yes people do get bitten by dead snakes, it nearly happened to me this year already, when I took a snake that had bitten somebody and was supposed to be dead to the hospital in a plastic bag to get identified, and it was not dead when I opened the bag.

The nurses were not amused.

I try to live and let live for the most part.  However, when faced with a two meter cobra in the confines of a cluttered 8X8 foot pump house, goodwill loses out.  And no, I couldn't just escape the encounter and hope the nice snake left the area.  I can't have my mate and her relatives at risk every time something is needed.  Oh, and to counter the scenario posted above, take a rake and pin the snake before you take a machete to him, solves all the feet per second stuff.  So, deadly snakes beware my pump house, you are not welcomed!

Edited by Jiggyfly

Just had an interesting encounter this evening.

Our dogs normally gently tap the door when they want to go in or out of the house, but earlier this evening one dog was violently banging at the door. So I opened it, and the dog looks at me and instead of running inside she sticks her head next to the flower pot which is next to the door. Then she started hissing. Or that's what I though. I pulled her away and then realized the dog wasn't hissing, but a creature behind the pot. 

I tied the dogs down to prevent them from attacking it, and went in for a closer look. Yep, a snake. Almost fully black and about 60 cm long. At this point my girlfriend was losing it and telling me if it hisses, it's a cobra. I was skeptical at first, because it was so small and dark. But then it slipped under the door into the house!

I tried to chase it back outside, and then it stood up, flaring it's hood and started hissing like an angry gecko. Brrrr. A monocled cobra. 

That's when the girlfriend called the local rescue guys. They were here in under 15 minutes. And the five of them (with my courageous help) caught it after a 10 minute ordeal of screams, laughs and jumping around from all involved. They were seriously afraid of it. 

That was a teenage snake with a seriously bad attitude. 

1 minute ago, Mitkof Island said:

Get some glasses before YOU kill someone. Agree some people have the kill everything and ask questions later attitude.

You are so right, why don't you print out for yourself a few question and answer forms you could present to each of the snakes you meet. 

Like - Q. Hello nice little snake, are you going to bite me?

Snake - I dono yet, maybe if you get a little closer.

Q. Well are you venomous?

Snake - Well I am a King Cobra, most of us are.

Q. How fast can you run (in snake terms)?

Snake - A blooming sight faster than you, now piss-off or it curtains for you.

See a little example always helps to point you in the right direction.

Bloody stupid post thanks.

To MiKT my post is based on scientific facts not innuendo. The lengths stated are hypothetical for example only.  Obviously snakes come in all sizes. A baby snake is only worse than the adult to the fact they can not control how much venom they release.

I spend hours in a National Park. I have already encountered my fair share of snakes of all types. People need not just kill a snake because its a snake and you fear it. My point being, unless you have been trained and have hands on experience, I suggest you not try to catch any venomous snake because the odds are against you from being bitten. And if you are bitten, just how long do you think it will take to get the anti-venom if it is available?  To long I might add.  And yes, Malaysian pits cause more deaths in SEA than all others. Especially in India.

Here's just two of my encounters outside my own door step. King and Malaysian Krait.

DSCN4170 (640x480).jpg

Dscn3019C.jpg

11 minutes ago, Mrjlh said:

To MiKT my post is based on scientific facts not innuendo. The lengths stated are hypothetical for example only.  Obviously snakes come in all sizes. A baby snake is only worse than the adult to the fact they can not control how much venom they release.

I spend hours in a National Park. I have already encountered my fair share of snakes of all types. People need not just kill a snake because its a snake and you fear it. My point being, unless you have been trained and have hands on experience, I suggest you not try to catch any venomous snake because the odds are against you from being bitten. And if you are bitten, just how long do you think it will take to get the anti-venom if it is available?  To long I might add.  And yes, Malaysian pits cause more deaths in SEA than all others. Especially in India.

Here's just two of my encounters outside my own door step. King and Malaysian Krait.

DSCN4170 (640x480).jpg

Dscn3019C.jpg

Dear Mrjlh, I don't need to go to the national park to find snakes, we have plenty and when necessary we kill them and if they are edible, eat them.

I also happen to know which hospitals near us have anti--venom - having had to take people who have been bitten to them.

Your post is based on scientific facts! - No your post is based on theories that have no place when you are actually faced with an angry snake.

My encounters with snakes, that I really like and don't want kill unnecessarily, are based on 40 years experience in many different countries, including Hong Kong, Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore, Philippines, India, Bangladesh, South Africa and even in the UK. I seem to remember seeing on or two in France.

My daughter used to keep snakes, but I an in no way an expert, I just like them, study them when I  can and have read many books on snakes. Maybe you should go to one of the snake shows here and actually handle a few before you post about how you kill them in theory. The best snake handler in the whole of Thailand used to have a good show in Koh Samaoi, but sadly he got bitten by a KC one to many times without bothering to go to hospital. MPR there are still quite a few good shows around.

Only a fool tries to catch a venomous snake. if you don't need  to kill it call the local snake catcher, but don't try to catch it unless you really are expert snake handler.

But for goodness sake don't go pontificate about killing snakes until you have had a KC dart out into the middle of your group of people eating breakfast -as I have posted about before. Or when has jumped out of a cupboard, or even risen up out of your loo. In HK it was not uncommon to find cobras way up on the 20++ floors of hi-rise apartments.  They all became dinner.

Scientific facts my ass, I bet you don't even own a machete.

I see many snakes where I live and agree from the OP's description it sounds like a golden tree snake - and IMO they are beautiful.

They can also be aggressive when 'chased' away with a broom :lol: - although still harmless.

Somehow, Thai dogs seem to know how to differentiate between dangerous snakes and harmless snakes - I say this as my dogs kill golden tree snakes (when they can get hold of them on the ground), but give their 'snake warning bark' with cobras.

I've also noticed (when investigating the snake warning bark) that cobras ignore/get out of the way of my dogs - but when I arrive on the scene they rear up!  They are obviously far more bothered by me than by my dogs for some reason.

Imported dogs don't have the same knowledge, and years ago I was terrified when investigating the 'commotion' to discover my imported dog lunging/backing off at an obviously pissed off cobra.....  Fortunately, my adopted soi dogs have now 'taught him the ropes' and so he too can differentiate between safe and dangerous snakes.  Not that this knowledge stops him (or the other dogs) killing harmless snakes :sad:,

I get bad-tempered about my dogs killing harmless snakes - but far more bad-tempered about people killing every snake that has the temerity to enter their garden on the basis that 'it may possibly be dangerous'.  If you're that worried by every snake - then you're in the wrong country.

22 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

I see many snakes where I live and agree from the OP's description it sounds like a golden tree snake - and IMO they are beautiful.

They can also be aggressive when 'chased' away with a broom :lol: - although still harmless.

Somehow, Thai dogs seem to know how to differentiate between dangerous snakes and harmless snakes - I say this as my dogs kill golden tree snakes (when they can get hold of them on the ground), but give their 'snake warning bark' with cobras.

I've also noticed (when investigating the snake warning bark) that cobras ignore/get out of the way of my dogs - but when I arrive on the scene they rear up!  They are obviously far more bothered by me than by my dogs for some reason.

Imported dogs don't have the same knowledge, and years ago I was terrified when investigating the 'commotion' to discover my imported dog lunging/backing off at an obviously pissed off cobra.....  Fortunately, my adopted soi dogs have now 'taught him the ropes' and so he too can differentiate between safe and dangerous snakes.  Not that this knowledge stops him (or the other dogs) killing harmless snakes :sad:,

I get bad-tempered about my dogs killing harmless snakes - but far more bad-tempered about people killing every snake that has the temerity to enter their garden on the basis that 'it may possibly be dangerous'.  If you're that worried by every snake - then you're in the wrong country.

I am half inclined to agree with what you say about dogs, my Thai dogs deal with most snakes very well by ignoring them and only seem to get upset with cobra's that invade the living areas.

I also think you are right about cobra's they mostly ignore the dogs, but certainly don't like humans coming too close (me ditto cobra's).

However, I am not sure about imported dogs not having the same knowledge as Thai dogs. My GS in HK used to be well aware of snakes and keep clear of them; but then Sheps are the most intelligent of dogs. One of our neighbours in HK had a pair of huge Great Danes and one was bitten by a bamboo snake and died, the other one almost pined itself to death. Our Shep never went near a bamboo snake. (nasty things).

I think it all depends on circumstances and where you live. Cobra's and pythons that invade our condo in Bangkok via the nearby klong are dealt with by calling the snake people who take them away. The many cobras (and other snakes) we get on our Buri Ram land are left alone as much as possible, but if they come in the home or living area's, they get eaten. Its a whole different ball game living in the country to living in a city.

Luckily we also have a resident mongoose that presumably dines well every day, but is very, very shy and hard to see.

• 2 weeks later...

A broom is good for removing snakes if you don't want them hanging around, kinder to yourself as well as the animal. If you're afraid of snakes, a machete brings you a lot closer to them. Why take the risk? The lid of a 10-gallon (or bigger) plastic rubbish bin is also useful; just drop it over the poor terrified snake and place a brick on top until someone who likes or respects snakes can get there to take it a long way away from you. I don't know of any snakes in SE Asia that can move faster than ordinary walking pace, so as long as you stay out of strike range (abt 3/4 of the snake's body length) you're ok. Many of the venomous snakes here are "primitive", with fangs well back in their mouths, so it's hard for them to deliver toxins unless they manage to get a really good grip on loose.flabby skin areas.  Don't trust locals' knowledge about which are venomous or not - they will tell you many "primitive" species are not venomous because people can often be bitten on leg or arm areas with no ill effect. Most snakes will be attracted to water features in your home garden (for frogs, etc) or indoors looking for geckos (the Tokay call is a dinner bell), mice, rats or other small furry or feathered creatures. Cats can be a good deterrent around houses. Walking round barefooted or in thongs/sandals at night anywhere on your property is not smart - scorpions and other biteys are out hunting as well.  There are many beautiful snakes, marvellous colours, across Thailand. They all photograph better in one healthy piece. None of them like to scare humans and prefer to avoid you if you give them an escape route. You leave them alone and they'll  reciprocate.

23 hours ago, godblessemall said:

Just a few days ago a small snake came into my house. About 15 inches long I never looked at markings but it had a big hood and stood up and hissed loudly when I was trying to get it to leave with a broom. Was it a Cobra as I believe even baby ones are fatal?

Yes and yes,

Yes It was almost certainly a cobra and yes its bite could be fatal if left untreated. As you say, even a bite from a baby one can be fatal.

Did you kill it or just shoo it away?

If the latter are you able to take any measures with wire netting etc. to prevent a return visit. Cobra's are quite fond of houses and don't mind being around people if they are not molested. But if it wants to come in the home a very dangerous situation can arise if it gets in a cupboard or into a box and is unearthed at close quarters by an unsuspecting person, especially a child.

But I know of some cobras which lived in the palm thatch type roof of a local house for a long time and never bothered the occupants.

Previous poster sandemara said "I don't know of any snakes in SE Asia that can move faster than ordinary walking pace" which is absolutely not correct. Cobras and many other snakes here can move much faster than that. I know that from personal experience and even a quick check on the web will show how fast some snakes can move.

Whilst its not true that a King Cobra can move faster than a galloping horse, they are not much slower than the fastest snakes in the world - the Black Mamba's which can move at an incredible 5.4 m per second and up to 18 kph.

I have certainly seen King Cobras moving very fast indeed. One just recently - see my post  #24 above.

They can also swim very well and we had a very funny incident years ago at a posh hotel in Cha-am when a cobra decided to share the swimming pool one night.