Transferring Ownership Question

Andy32

Hopefully somebody can help me with my quick question. Went to see a bike for sale in Bangkok today. Everything seemed fine, he had the key, green book, showed me the pink tax sticker and told me he's just done the tax for 1 year. The guy has a small 2nd hand bike business. So, multiple bikes out the front, all with prices on. 

When I asked him about transferring the bike into my name he said not to worry, he would sort that out. I just provide passport and work permit copies and he'll have it changed and will have the green book ready for me in a couple of weeks. 

So here's where I'm slightly confused. I've read that you have to take the bike to whichever government office it is that deals with that. Then they have to check the bike before they can transfer it to a new name. So I'm not sure exactly what the procedure here is and why he seemingly doesn't need to do this.

If anyone could offer some advice or experience here, it would be greatly appreciated. 

Think that check is when the bike is 5 years old or more.

Whatever you do keep a copy of that green book. A mate of mine did the same in BKK, then took the bike back to the same place for a service and 'mysteriously' it was stolen, never to be seen again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

p

he can do it for you, as he is doing it all the time. if you leave it to him get a copy of the green book, the origal vehicle tax and insurance certificate as well as a full receipt.

is the bike registered in Bangkok and will it stay in Bangkok?

Edited by steve187

Thanks for the replies.

The bike will be staying in Bangkok and I'm assuming the bike was registered in Bangkok. He only has a very small business, so can only imagine it's mainly locals he's dealing with.

Does anyone know roughly what it would cost for me to go and change the name myself. He's charging me 2000. It's a 4 year old 250cc. I'm wondering if it would be a better idea to do it myself, so I know it's all done and won't need to worry about relying on someone else. Or do you think I should leave it with this guy and save myself the hassle. 

One more thing, you mention the insurance Steve. What exactly does this cover and where do you get it. I heard it's a legal requirement and it's all done at the same time with the tax normally. However I was asking him about it, and my friend translating, and they were saying if I want insurance for the bike then that's up to me and I can go buy that after. I'm think neither really understood what I meant, and didn't know how else to describe it. 

Thanks again

The insurance is a bear (legal) minimum so doesn't cover you or your bike, only 3rd party injuries.

If I were you, I do it all myself. Sorry but after seeing what goes on here, I don't trust many people.

its the government insurance that you need, he must have it, as he has the bike tax disc, and the 2 go hand in hand, if the bike is registered in Bangkok, you could do it yourself, if it is registered in the sticks then it would have to be changed to Bangkok as well as put in your name, more complicated. you would save money D I Y,  but to how much i don't know.

I have done it myself, it's a variable cost - depending on if the bike is already registered in your province, maybe engine size, if there is need for an inspection. I think it cost me about 3,000B for a 650 from outside the province when I did it myself - that's for an inspection and new plate.

Which area are you? 

My local DLT is small, the guys know me there, I speak Thai .. It's OK. To go to Mo Chit and try and do this without guidance or language skills might prove difficult but plenty of people do it.

My wife changes her bike every other year and the guy offers a service like your guy, it's not so expensive but he handles a lot of bikes, like you say, he waits until he has a handful of green books and runs down there. 

You our can watch these guys at the DLT, they don't wait in line, they walk directly to the back of the office, the bikes aren't inspected - just a fee paid and they return the next day to collect the books. Second hand car dealers are the same the world over, likable rogues.

What he's offering you is perfectly normal, many people prefer the service maybe slightly more expensive than it should be, but if you take into account travel time, time at the DLT, lost wages, petrol not to mention the confusion and the needless waiting, then the price is OK.

However, do it yourself and you will be an expert after, it's good experience and you'll save yourself about 1000B.

Unless you  like "a challenge" and have the patience of a saint   let the dealer do it.
2000 Baht to do all the running around and get the green book back in your name
is very reasonable.

That's right, if you trust them or know others that have had success with them.

Thanks for all the replies everyone, it was a big help. 

Quick update:

Eventually decided to do it myself. The guy was more than happy to let me do this and gave me all the signed copies of paperwork I needed. I went up to the Land and Transport office in chatuchak. If you drive in from chatuchak park side, drive straight for 50-100m and it's the big building on the left with the car park in front of it. I did take a Thai friend, which was lucky as all the forms they give you at the information desk are in Thai. But it's only your address and some vehicle details. Most of the staff there seemed more than happy to help. 

Unfotuanely I did get there a little late, and the paperwork all needs to be in by 15:30. So that day I only had time to complete the inspection of the bike. For this you need to go to a different building opposite. There's signs that say "drive thru" and "vehicle inspection". They check the serial number and give you some more paperwork. 

Like I said, there was no time left to do anything that day, so I returned the next day on my own. Staff there seemed more than happy to help, and spoke reasonable English. One lady sorted out all my paperwork and made sure everything was correct, gave me a ticket and told me to wait for my number. Went to a different desk where another lady checked my paperwork, I paid her, and then she told me to wait a little longer. Few minutes later they called my name and gave my the updated green book and all was done. 

Total cost was 400b. 

If anyone else in Bangkok is a bit unsure, hopefully my experience will provide some assistance. I'd say you don't need a Thai person with you, but it definitely helps, if your Thai isn't great. And it's really not that much of a difficult process, all very straight forward. 

28 minutes ago, Andy32 said:

If anyone else in Bangkok is a bit unsure, hopefully my experience will provide some assistance. I'd say you don't need a Thai person with you, but it definitely helps, if your Thai isn't great. And it's really not that much of a difficult process, all very straight forward. 

Nice one man .. its not that bigger deal is it? 

I know some don't have the time, but just see how much money you save over the years by collecting your own vehicle tax and doing transfers.

i bet the shop owner was smiling when he said he could do you a favour for 2000B - 1600B profit less tea money .. Not bad for an afternoons work.