Chats will not be monitored in Thailand, LINE app says

webfact

Chats will not be monitored in Thailand, LINE app says

Author: DPA

TOKYO: -- Private chats on the mobile phone application LINE will not be monitored, a company representative told dpa Monday, following the Thai government's request for the company to monitor and report content deemed to violate the lese-majesty law.

"We do not monitor or block user content. User content is also encrypted, and cannot be viewed by LINE," the statement sent directly to dpa said.

On Friday, Deputy Prime Minister Prajin Juntong told reporters the Thai government had discussed the matter with LINE's executives based in Thailand, saying the company had agreed to set up a special team to monitor users' content.

Full story: https://aboutcroatia.net/news/world/chats-will-not-be-monitored-thailand-line-app-says-42438

-- ABOUT CROATIA 2016-11-01

Friendly reminder

In using Thai Visa you agree to abide by the following terms:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.

To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.

Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

Forum Rules: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/terms/

//Admin

On Friday, Deputy Prime Minister Prajin Juntong told reporters the Thai government had discussed the matter with LINE's executives based in Thailand, saying the company had agreed to set up a special team to monitor users' content.

Full story: https://aboutcroatia.net/news/world/chats-will-not-be-monitored-thailand-line-app-says-42438

-- ABOUT CROATIA 2016-11-01

Another government announcement contradicted by the subject?

The government will never get any info from me from line as i never use it.

You think that the government just monitors line! The government has mass survailence systems just like the US and can monitor all users of the internet except those using encripted software such as TOR. Go look up Edward Snowden.

1 hour ago, the donger said:

It doesn't matter and LINE don't really need to say this. The majority of Thai people don't care about civil liberties. Many are actually happy for the government to take away their privacy and freedoms.

It does matter, hopefully the Japanese think it matters.   70% of Thailand is poor.  They are just happy to have food and a roof over their heads.

If LINE's servers are located in Thailand, and there are encryption keys, then it is possible for the authorities to push for access.  Given the light nature of text, those servers are be in countries that have strong privacy laws like Iceland.  

28 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

It does matter, hopefully the Japanese think it matters.   70% of Thailand is poor.  They are just happy to have food and a roof over their heads.

If LINE's servers are located in Thailand, and there are encryption keys, then it is possible for the authorities to push for access.  Given the light nature of text, those servers are be in countries that have strong privacy laws like Iceland.  

Dream on there not capable of a good ass wiping.

44 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

It is telling that the Thai government can publically state it wants to monitor Line, and dresses it up like people should be thankful for it. 

3 hours ago, leeneeds said:

Breaking into an apple by the FBI recently

Wasn't that done by a contractor, albeit paid by the FBI?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/fbi-paid-professional-hackers-one-time-fee-to-crack-san-bernardino-iphone/2016/04/12/5397814a-00de-11e6-9d36-33d198ea26c5_story.html

The FBI had a one-time use court order to access a specific phone call data so wasn't it legal?

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Deputy Prime Minister Prajin Juntong told reporters the Thai government had discussed the matter with LINE's executives based in Thailand, saying the company had agreed to set up a special team to monitor users' content.

So Line WILL be monitored soon.

Do they have that big single gateway now so EVERYTHING going over the web in/out Thailand can be monitored?

Being a guest in this country i have no opinion on this.  If I don't like it I know I can just leave.  If someone wants to read about me telling the wife to pick up a loaf of bread on her way home they are more than welcome too. 

55 minutes ago, jamesbrock said:

The truth.

haha, exactly. maybe, just possibly, all thais dont think the way and dont have the opinions the thai government and culture want them to have.

freedom of the individual to express themselves, freedom of speech... scary.

21 minutes ago, jimmyyy said:

Being a guest in this country i have no opinion on this.  If I don't like it I know I can just leave.  If someone wants to read about me telling the wife to pick up a loaf of bread on her way home they are more than welcome too. 

Ah, a post that makes sense....

6 minutes ago, samsensam said:

haha, exactly. maybe, just possibly, all thais dont think the way and dont have the opinions the thai government and culture want them to have.

freedom of the individual to express themselves, freedom of speech... scary.

They certainly don't, and the elite will do anything to maintain the myth that "all Thais have the same heart" - literally anything.

It's embarrassing that this Government even ask Tech Companies to monitor for them. True democracy has a foundation in 'Freedom' and part of that is 'Choice' Freedom of Speech, Freedom of the Press, both written, digital or otherwise. This is the only way to find out the real 'temperature of the people'  

Didn't they see what happened when the 'all powerful, all knowing' US Government asked Apple Corporation for help?  Apple said "bite me"

2 hours ago, jimmyyy said:

Such a good obeying upright citizen!

Some of the more "stringent" world leaders- past and present- would be soooo proud of you!

:coffee1:

6 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Why am I not totally convinced ?

You have to stand back a bit and weigh the comments and who is making them. Line is a reputable company  and we of course know all about the junta and its machinations. Big business vs a wanna be big government OK I am not convinced either.