PTT Plc to open petrol stations for farmers to sell rice directly to consumers

webfact

PTT Plc to open petrol stations for farmers to sell rice directly to consumers

IMGP3613.jpg

BANGKOK: -- PTT Public Company will open all its petrol stations throughout the country to allow rice farmers to sell their crops directly to the consumers free of charge, said CEO and president Mr Thewin Wongwanich on Tuesday.

He said that PTT Plc was ready to support the government’s effort to help rice farmers to tackle the problem of rice price slump.

Farmers, farmer groups, farmer’s cooperatives or community rice millers who are interested to sell rice at PTT’s petrol stations can contact petrol stations in their respective provinces.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/ptt-plc-to-open-petrol-stations-for-farmers-to-sell-rice-directly-to-consumers/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-11-02

The "problem," if you want to call it one, is low prices (which is not necessarily a bad thing if one eats rice), not a lack of retail outlets that sell rice. And now what, we have to play dodge-ball with a bunch of rice stalls and vendors pitching-up at every PTT station everytime I gass up...good grief.

Maybe tell the farmers not to grow so much rice, and switch to other higher-value crops, and  both their incomes and the price of rice might go up.

So if you buy 5-10kg of rice at the PTT you'll have to wait in the blazing sun while they are weighing it for you..? I prefer airconditioned shops though where 5kg is 5kg and i can grab a bag and go pay it. 

And do they also guarantee the right amount of moisture in the sold rice?

32 minutes ago, fruitman said:

So if you buy 5-10kg of rice at the PTT you'll have to wait in the blazing sun while they are weighing it for you..? I prefer airconditioned shops though where 5kg is 5kg and i can grab a bag and go pay it. 

And do they also guarantee the right amount of moisture in the sold rice?

I think its mainly for Thai's to buy, they are not so bothered in shops with Air-con, price will be their concern.

21 minutes ago, JoePai said:

You have obviously not visited a Tesco or Big C at weekends !

When we go "on holiday" in Thailand for a weekend with many Thai friends we always stop to buy local produce from roadstands.

Unfortunately ALL of my friends want them to see the vendor weighing their orders, they refuse to buy the already packed bags. 

So we have to wait like 30 minutes in a super hot shack in the dust of the road, nails sticking out everywhere, no place to sit, no retailprices to be seen, what a big fun!

Lately i don't even go out of the car anymore when we stop at the vendors. They will cheat me anyway and i won't be sweating while i sit in the car. Would rather pay double price at the Makro but the Makro is even cheaper then those shacks.

7 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

The "problem," if you want to call it one, is low prices (which is not necessarily a bad thing if one eats rice), not a lack of retail outlets that sell rice. And now what, we have to play dodge-ball with a bunch of rice stalls and vendors pitching-up at every PTT station everytime I gass up...good grief.

Maybe tell the farmers not to grow so much rice, and switch to other higher-value crops, and  both their incomes and the price of rice might go up.

Donald Trump could not have said it any better. Bravo!! Let them eat cake oops sorry if they cannot sell rice they definitely cannot afford cake. 

In this fast changing world it is hard to get a handle on what to produce as food. Rice in rice out rubber in rubber out. It will be some years yet till the agricultural land gets more housing built on it and thus the agricultural value is lost. Food waste hits all time highs and yet the price still keeps dropping. It will suddenly hit a tipping point where food is more valuable than housing. I guess the futurist answer is to move people onto orbiting cities and just use the world for growing food. I know a pie in the sky idea. 

14 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Donald Trump could not have said it any better. Bravo!! Let them eat cake oops sorry if they cannot sell rice they definitely cannot afford cake. 

You, of course, would just have them keep producing tons of rice nobody wants to buy...sounds like a sure-fire solution to me. I also mentioned something about teaching farmers the value of alternative crops which you ignored in favor of the ad hominem attack, which is your usual forum response.