Desperate measures for Syrians trying to reach refugee camps

webfact

Desperate measures for Syrians trying to reach refugee camps

Seamus Kearney

606x341_348440.jpg

Stuck in a sand storm, with no obvious solution of where to go

PARIS: -- Syrian refugees are reportedly crossing the border into Iraq with the help of smugglers, attempting to join Iraqi refugees fleeing fighting in Mosul.

The goal is to get from Dashashah in Syria to a sprawling refugee camp known as al-Hol.

But the route is not easy; hundreds are currently stranded, buffeted by sand storms.

One female Syrian refugee told reporters: “We came with a smuggler, we went from one village to another and we were walking for a long time and for long distances. We have been here for 14 days with my family.”

Another woman said: “We left because of the airstrikes and fire. We live in Hasaka and we came here so we can escape ISIL violence.

“We came here and now we are stuck. We can’t get out. We are refugees too. Look at our situation, look at the kids. We are dying from this dust.”

Charities have been warning that refugee camps across the region might not be able to cope with an exodus of civilians fleeing fighting.

The UN Refugee Agency is predicting that at the al-Hol camp alone is expected to be inundated with more than 100,000 refugees.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-11-02

9 minutes ago, Grubster said:

I would like to agree but I can't.  These people can't handle freedom, they despise it.

I've spent a lot of time the past 15 years in countries like this. Understandable your misperceptions.

I was in Egypt just after the big protests. The average Egyptian just wanted to get on with their life, make a bit of money,  and take care of their family. Definitely not radicals. And can definitely handle freedom. Sadly,  those in power don't want that as they will no longer be in power!  Lol

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

I've spent a lot of time the past 15 years in countries like this. Understandable your misperceptions.

I was in Egypt just after the big protests. The average Egyptian just wanted to get on with their life, make a bit of money,  and take care of their family. Definitely not radicals. And can definitely handle freedom. Sadly,  those in power don't want that as they will no longer be in power!  Lol

I know many veterans that knew many of these nice common people and then got shot by them, don't ever underestimate the hatred in the Muslim population for infidels. Its there, Its real, and its deadly.

7 minutes ago, Grubster said:

I know many veterans that knew many of these nice common people and then got shot by them, don't ever underestimate the hatred in the Muslim population for infidels. Its there, Its real, and its deadly.

I'm not a vet. Just a traveler with lots of time spent in these type of countries. Again,  understand people's misperceptions when they've not spent time there.

Just back from 5 weeks in Central Asia. I was always treated with respect. Always. Even when seeking out a place that sold beer! LOL

23 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

I'm not a vet. Just a traveler with lots of time spent in these type of countries. Again,  understand people's misperceptions when they've not spent time there.

Just back from 5 weeks in Central Asia. I was always treated with respect. Always. Even when seeking out a place that sold beer! LOL

23 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

I can see that you feel strong about how nice these people are, and thats ok I guess. Did you ever see about the two husband and wife  jurnalist's that were traveling in Afghanistan before 911 that were abducted there? She was raped by many of them while she watched them skin him alive. she survived to remember this. They were treated with great respect too.

11 minutes ago, Grubster said:

I can see that you feel strong about how nice these people are, and thats ok I guess. Did you ever see about the two husband and wife  jurnalist's that were traveling in Afghanistan before 911 that were abducted there? She was raped by many of them while she watched them skin him alive. she survived to remember this. They were treated with great respect too.

That type of stuff happens in every country in the world,  sadly.  Name your home country and I can come up with some gory stuff like this.  It's the exception,  not the rule.