UK 070 phone numbers

Simon1287

Hi all,

Got my dear old mum in hospital in the UK for a while and the telephone system they provide is on an 0708 number which is something like 50 pence per minute I believe at peak times or a bit less at off peak. 

Not a concern except that Skype will not connect to that type of phone number at all it seems.

Anyone here know of a Skype alternative that will allow me to call?

Simon

Hi, Simon
I use Skype a lot and have never had any problems with calling the numbers I need. However, I need to know if you are using a UK-subscription, All World-supscription. If that is the case you will not be able to call this number with your suscription.

The only way to call this number is to fill up your Skype-account with money, but maybe that is what you are already doing. I have money on my Skype account and also tried to call a UK 0708-number, but as you probably get it told med that destination temporary blocked. 

This is from Skype information: " Unfortunately Skype does not support calls to all number ranges in every country. There are certain premium-priced or geographic/country specific numbers which are forbidden and cannot be reached using Skype. "

There are many people that had there problem solved by contacting Skype support, but there are same many that do not get any response.

My advice to you would be that you go in to a calling provider and, if you not already have, get a Thai phonenumber. With that you should be able to refill with money and call wherever you want.
Matbe a little bit more expensive, but I am sure that your mum is worth every pence and pound if it would come to that.

If your mum has a mobilephone in the hospital and can call herself you can easily buy a Llcal landline UK phonenumber trough Skype too. Then she can call you almost for free.

I sincerely hope this helps you, and that your dear mum gets better soon.

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

If your mum has a mobilephone in the hospital

To the OP:

Of course this would bypass the ridicolously expensive phone system of the hospital (daylight robbery).

You could call then for about 7 Baht/min from a Thai mobile phone nr.

(lots of alternatives)

But:

Is there someone who can provide her with a mobile phone?

Does the hospital allow use of mobile phones in the rooms?

Edited by KhunBENQ

20 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

To the OP:

Of course this would bypass the ridicolously expensive phone system of the hospital (daylight robbery).

You could call then for about 7 Baht/min from a Thai mobile phone nr.

(lots of alternatives)

But:

Is there someone who can provide her with a mobile phone?

Does the hospital allow use of mobile phones in the rooms?

Thanks a lot for the extra information, added to my contribution to help.
Especially the prices. Sounds very cheap. I called to Sweden a couple of times, but there they still take around 10-12 bath/min.

Without promotion of course.

But is it really more expensive to call a hospital phone than a fixed landline in the UK? In Sweden the hospital phones have same chages as a fixed landline
in the city the hospital resides in.

Edited by Get Real

3 hours ago, Get Real said:

But is it really more expensive to call a hospital phone than a fixed landline in the UK?

These 070 are not normal fixed line numbers but a dangerous money trap ("personal numbers").

Just Google "UK 070 number cost".

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/features-and-news/consumers-warned-about-070-missed-call-scam

3 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

These 070 are not normal fixed line numbers but a dangerous money trap ("personal numbers").

Just Google "UK 070 number cost".

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/features-and-news/consumers-warned-about-070-missed-call-scam

There are only two telephone rules as far as I'm concerned

1. Never answer a call from someone who withholds their number
  2. Never return a missed call from a number you don't recognise

If it's that important they'll have left a Voicemail and then you can decide what to do about it

I can call those 070 numbers from here on my UK SIP account, but I never do because they are too expensive.

5 hours ago, Get Real said:

But is it really more expensive to call a hospital phone than a fixed landline in the UK? In Sweden the hospital phones have same chages as a fixed landline
in the city the hospital resides in.

Those 070 numbers are many times more expensive to call than a regular UK landline number. In fact many people pay nothing to call regular landline numbers because they have some sort of all-in package.

The hospitals (or rather the companies that provide phone, TV and internet services in hospitals) use the 070 numbers because it earns them a lot of money.

6 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I can call those 070 numbers from here on my UK SIP account, but I never do because they are too expensive.

Those 070 numbers are many times more expensive to call than a regular UK landline number. In fact many people pay nothing to call regular landline numbers because they have some sort of all-in package.

The hospitals (or rather the companies that provide phone, TV and internet services in hospitals) use the 070 numbers because it earns them a lot of money.

Ok! I just think that a hospital that is suppose to take care about people in the best way possible, would be that ones that are using landlines instead of those hoorible 070-numbers then. Sounds like a very low moral.

3 hours ago, Get Real said:

Ok! I just think that a hospital that is suppose to take care about people in the best way possible, would be that ones that are using landlines instead of those hoorible 070-numbers then. Sounds like a very low moral.

I agree. But it is a widely-used tactic in UK hospitals to increase revenue.

Hi all, Many thanks for the replies.

Going to see if we can get a mobile to her so I can call that!

Simon

Just been in hospital myself and everyone uses a mobile phone with no problems.

Cheap smart phones best bet as nearly all hospitals have free WIFI access

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk