Giving Birth In Thailand - Your Experience

skeetaboat

I'm interested to hear from anyone who has given birth in Thailand and so I've put together a list of questions that I've asked my hospital (mother and child in Chiang Mai) so I can compare their answers with other people's experiences and other hospitals. I thought that the answers would help others choose a hospital and doctor in the future. Answer as many or as few of the questions as you like. Cheers, Skeet.

1. Where did you give birth and who was your doctor/midwife?

2. C-Section or natural? (if c-section, was it pre-planned, chosen by you, recommended by the doctor, or emergency?) Did your doctor tell you what percentage births are delivered by c-sections at the hospital?

3. Were you cut? (epesiotomy) Did your doctor tell you what percentage of women are given epesiotomies? Are epesiotomies at the hospital normal practice or are they only done if it looks like you will tear?

4. What pain relief could you choose from during and after the birth?

5. How many support people were you allowed with you during the birth?

6. Could your hubby/partner stay overnight? Were there visiting restrictions?

7. Were you allowed to choose your birth position? Walk around during labour? Eat and drink during labour? Listen to music or have a shower during labour?

8. Was the birth assisted (forceps, suction)?

9. Was water birth available?

10. Did the baby sleep in the room with you or was it taken to a nursery?

11. Were you allowed to hold the baby straight away or was it wisked away for tests? If so, what tests?

12. How were you treated by the nursing staff / midwives / doctors? Who attended the delivery?

13. Was your baby given standard immunisations? If so, what were they?

14. What did your hospital bill come to?

15. Did you have any complications? How were they handled?

16. Do you have any complaints about the hospital /doctor / procedures?

17. Any other info about the birth and your experience?

18. Did you have any language or communication difficulties? (if so please specify your own fluency in English and Thai as well as the doctor's fluency)

18. Would you recommend the hospital or the doctor to others?

Wow! Too many questions for this early in the morning! Which question #18 should we answer first?

Pre-planned (thai wife's preference to do simultaneous operation) Caesarian at BNH, 1 year 4 months ago. Dr. Wiwat Chinpilas and team, father allowed in operation room for complete procedure and visiting 24-hour per day. 5 star room with separate living room, 4 days and nights, about 80,000 baht for both procedures. Great experience!

My previous 5-week marriage in the US produced no offspring so I have no experience to compare it to.

Bumgrad, lady doctor, insurance paid, researched about doc beforehand, asked about CS and natural, stressed wanting natural and not CS at all except for emergancy, all went ok, allowed in theatre no problem, can sleep in room if you want also, english not a problem really.

• 1 month later...

Answers from the Mother and Child Hospital, Chiang Mai (where I've decided not to give birth at any more)

They prefer natural, 3 days, 2 night stay, husband can come in with you, you must have an episiotomy, you must give birth flat on your back with feet in stirrups, baby rooms in with you, breastfeeding encouraged, no epidural available, IV medication available during birth, paracetamol after birth, can walk around during labour but you're attached to an IV, Doctors don't speak English fluently and have little experience with RH incompatibility (mother O negative blood, father o positive blood), total bill usually about 3 or 4 thousand baht.

Overall doctors and nurses are nice at the Mother and Child Hospital but their birthing policy is a little backwards (compusory episiotomy and birthing in flat-on-back-lithotomy both of which increase the likelyhood of 3rd and 4th degree tears through the muscle from front end to back end.. if you get the drift :o ). But it seems that these practices are normal in Thailand?!

Anyone found a doctor or midwife who wont cut you and will let you give birth in your position of choice? If so.. what did you pay for the priveledge?

The wife - not I.

1. Where did you give birth and who was your doctor/midwife? Bamrungraad

2. C-Section or natural? (if c-section, was it pre-planned, chosen by you, recommended by the doctor, or emergency?) Did your doctor tell you what percentage births are delivered by c-sections at the hospital? C section -docs idea

3. Were you cut? (epesiotomy) Did your doctor tell you what percentage of women are given epesiotomies? Are epesiotomies at the hospital normal practice or are they only done if it looks like you will tear?

4. What pain relief could you choose from during and after the birth?

5. How many support people were you allowed with you during the birth?one, but most hospitals don't allow

6. Could your hubby/partner stay overnight? Were there visiting restrictions?

7. Were you allowed to choose your birth position? Walk around during labour? Eat and drink during labour? Listen to music or have a shower during labour?

8. Was the birth assisted (forceps, suction)?

9. Was water birth available?

10. Did the baby sleep in the room with you or was it taken to a nursery?ICU for 3 days

11. Were you allowed to hold the baby straight away or was it wisked away for tests? If so, what tests?

12. How were you treated by the nursing staff / midwives / doctors? Who attended the delivery?

13. Was your baby given standard immunisations? If so, what were they?

14. What did your hospital bill come to?70,000

15. Did you have any complications? How were they handled?they said she had water in the lungs and needed ICU at extra expense - bullshiit - they wanted extra money.

16. Do you have any complaints about the hospital /doctor / procedures?

17. Any other info about the birth and your experience?

18. Did you have any language or communication difficulties? (if so please specify your own fluency in English and Thai as well as the doctor's fluency)no18. Would you recommend the hospital or the doctor to others?only if money is not an option