Rice Millers Association chief quits but denies allegation of rice price suppression

webfact

Rice Millers Association chief quits but denies allegation of rice price suppression

rice.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Rice Millers Association president Mr Manas Kitprasert announced his resignation at a press conference held Thursday after rice millers have come under suspicion of colluding with local politicians to suppress Hom Mali paddy price.

Mr Manas’ abrupt resignation has resulted in the entire executive committee of the association to automatically stop functioning.

Mr Manas categorically denied the allegation of collusion with some unspecified politicians to suppress Hom Mali paddy price in order to discredit the government.

However, he said he was willing to accept responsibility for failing to help farmers by propping Hom Mali paddy price which reportedly dropped to the lowest level in ten years.

Prime Minister Prayut first broke the news about the alleged collusion between some rice millers and local politicians to suppress paddy price. Government officials also questioned why there were reports of price slump even before Hom Mali crops are harvested and marketed.

Attributing rice price decline to global rice market, Mr Manas said millers based their purchasing price of paddy from farmers on the price exporters set to buy rice from millers with millers taking into consideration the humidity of paddy.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/rice-millers-association-chief-quits-but-denies-allegation-of-rice-price-suppression/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-11-04

21 minutes ago, trogers said:

Let's wait and see if farmers would get better prices through direct marketing. If yes, these rice millers would have to join the queue of buyers...

Ah, but who checks the growers rice for quality? We already see weavils in packaged rice, at the supermarkets, and who wants rice with a high humidity?

2 hours ago, trogers said:

How to dry moist rice? Google for it!

Moist rice will have yeasts and or mold.  Why would you want to buy it ? save 5 baht/ kg ?

I have stale bread; a little green; but you can cover with jam and eat.

Joke.

10 hours ago, webfact said:

why there were reports of price slump even before Hom Mali crops are harvested and marketed

Because global prices are announced in advance of contract supply date, ie., December prices announced in September? It's called futures.

Just now, trogers said:

You can do your own check with at Bt400 handheld moisture meter probe.

Honestly, do you think people are going to check the rice before they buy it, do you live in reality, or in your own little world. I can see it now, 100's lining up, handheld moisture checker in hand, ready to buy rice... man, get real.

59 minutes ago, Rorri said:

Honestly, do you think people are going to check the rice before they buy it, do you live in reality, or in your own little world. I can see it now, 100's lining up, handheld moisture checker in hand, ready to buy rice... man, get real.

Nor do I expect you to drive hundreds of km to buy two 5 kg bags...

9 hours ago, bark said:

Moist rice will have yeasts and or mold.  Why would you want to buy it ? save 5 baht/ kg ?

I have stale bread; a little green; but you can cover with jam and eat.

Joke.

I don't believe it, Thai bread won't get green and doesn't get fungus...try it! After 5 weeks on the counter mine still looked fresh.

1 hour ago, Rorri said:

I don't have a moisture metre but i do have a scale and i will bring it! I know the Thai vendors.

11 hours ago, trogers said:

What plot? You think the chain is Farmer to Miller to you?

And so, without the Miller, the chain becomes Farmer to you?

Yep, lost the plot..... does anyone know what he is on about?