Dual Citizen Thai/US 6yr old, born in Thailand, never left, going to US, whats the best way?

My apologies in advance, I scrolled back about 5 or 6 pages and I couldn't find a answer, so I'd be quite grateful if one of you more informed folk might help me out with this one. Pretty simple really, my daughter has a Thai and a US passport, she was born here in Thailand, and never left the country so her US passport is blank (no visas, no entry/exit stamps).We live here in Thailand, but are going to go see the folks for Christmas Stateside and I don't know how best to go about it. Should I?

1. Use her US passport? (If I do will she get hit for being here illegally on a overstay like a adult? Or because she's still a kid will there be no fine?)
  2. Use her Thai passport? (Will I have a problem if I try and get her a visit visa to the US and she's already a US citizen?)

Bonus Question : My wife is a Thai Citizen and she has a valid, multiple entry US Visit visa. However it's in her maiden name, will she need to get it re-issued in her new passport with her new name?

Thanks in advance, much appreciated.

She checks in using her US passport so she's in the advanced passenger clearance system for the US, and she departs Thailand through Thai Immigration using her Thai passport. Dual citizens do it all the time, even those with slightly different names in each passport. Just make sure her ticket includes the name on her US passport. Coming back there's no passport control leaving the US and she enters Thailand on her Thai passport

I can't answer the bonus question as I'm not sure you've provided all the information. You're saying she's got a new Thai passport and her name has changed?

Edited by SaintLouisBlues
  • Like 1

Whenever I've taken my dual citizenship children out of Thailand, then they depart Thailand on their Thai passports, enter UK on their British passports and the reversal upon return, immigration in Thailand has never questioned this, most others I know do exactly the same.

Not sure about the visa question, probably best to call the US Embassy and seek their advice.

From the U.S. State Department FAQ:

"I changed my name. Is my U.S. visa with my old name still valid?

"If your name has legally changed through marriage, divorce, or a court ordered name change, you will need to obtain a new passport.  Once you have a new passport, the Department of State recommends that you apply for a new U.S. visa to make it easier for you to travel to and from the United States."

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/general/frequently-asked-questions/about-visas-the-basics.html

Thanks everyone, wow that would really suck if she has to re-apply again just because of the name change. But I'll get it sorted. About what SaintLouisBlues said..

On 11/4/2016 at 0:09 PM, SaintLouisBlues said:

She checks in using her US passport so she's in the advanced passenger clearance system for the US, and she departs Thailand through Thai Immigration using her Thai passport. Dual citizens do it all the time, even those with slightly different names in each passport. Just make sure her ticket includes the name on her US passport. Coming back there's no passport control leaving the US and she enters Thailand on her Thai passport

I can't answer the bonus question as I'm not sure you've provided all the information. You're saying she's got a new Thai passport and her name has changed?

Won't she have problems coming back to Thailand at Thai customs when they see there is no entry stamp to another country on her Thai passport?

Just now, Zatoichi said:

Won't she have problems coming back to Thailand at Thai customs when they see there is no entry stamp to another country on her Thai passport?

Not according to several of the Thai guys I've known over the years who have dual citizenship because of their relationship with foreign nationals (and live there rather than Thailand)

• Like 2

I agree with SaintLouisBlues about immigration ;  but note that the airline always checks me about going to Iraq. Got to the point I just leave my KRG residency card in the passport. I'd assume showing your daughter's US passport at the airline's check in counter would  stave off any concerns about that sort of issue.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Zatoichi said:

Thanks everyone, wow that would really suck if she has to re-apply again just because of the name change. But I'll get it sorted. About what SaintLouisBlues said..

There are many countries now that do not even bother stamping you in or out anyway. In the vicinity, HKG immediately springs to mind. They give you a little slip of paper now. No stamp. 

2 hours ago, Brigante7 said:

Just be thankful that it's not a UK passport, you would have nothing but problems arriving at Bangkok.

I am British.

Both my wife and daughter have dual Thai/British nationalities.

None of us, me using my British passport, they their Thai ones, have ever had any problems entering or leaving Thailand via Bangkok or anywhere else.

Hang on; my daughter did one time when she had completed her landing card in English and an immigration officer told her that as she was Thai she had to complete another one in Thai; which she did.

• 1 month later...
On 05/11/2016 at 6:40 PM, 7by7 said:

I am British.

Both my wife and daughter have dual Thai/British nationalities.

None of us, me using my British passport, they their Thai ones, have ever had any problems entering or leaving Thailand via Bangkok or anywhere else.

Hang on; my daughter did one time when she had completed her landing card in English and an immigration officer told her that as she was Thai she had to complete another one in Thai; which she did.

Lucky you, my wife and kids have been refused entry to Thailand on their Thai passports after leaving the UK on their British passports more than once.

Brjgante7

17 minutes ago, Brigante7 said:

Lucky you, my wife and kids have been refused entry to Thailand on their Thai passports after leaving the UK on their British passports more than once.

Never had that experience, and this is the first I have ever heard of anyone having it; either from posts in forums such as this or from the many dual Thai/British citizens I know personally.

So it seems it's not a case of me, or rather my wife and daughter, being lucky; it's a case of your wife being unlucky for some reason.

Did Thai immigration ever say why they were forcing a Thai national to use a foreign passport to enter Thailand? They can't legally refuse entry to, or impose entry conditions on, a Thai national. Indeed, they should allow unconditional entry even if the Thai passport has expired.

How did they even know that your wife held dual nationality and had left the UK on her British passport?

After all, the UK does not stamp passports on exit so neither passport would have a UK exit stamp in it, and surely she did what my wife, daughter and all the other dual nationals we know do and simply presented the relevant passport to immigration on entry; Thai one when entering Thailand, British one when entering the UK.

No immigration officer anywhere has ever asked my wife or daughter if they hold another nationality and passport when entering. Neither have they ever checked in any of our passports for entry or exit stamps from other countries. They simply look at the ID page to check the passport belongs to the person presenting it and is still valid and, if one is required, there is a valid visa.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/12/2016 at 9:26 AM, 7by7 said:

Never had that experience, and this is the first I have ever heard of anyone having it; either from posts in forums such as this or from the many dual Thai/British citizens I know personally.

So it seems it's not a case of me, or rather my wife and daughter, being lucky; it's a case of your wife being unlucky for some reason.

Did Thai immigration ever say why they were forcing a Thai national to use a foreign passport to enter Thailand? They can't legally refuse entry to, or impose entry conditions on, a Thai national. Indeed, they should allow unconditional entry even if the Thai passport has expired.

How did they even know that your wife held dual nationality and had left the UK on her British passport?

After all, the UK does not stamp passports on exit so neither passport would have a UK exit stamp in it, and surely she did what my wife, daughter and all the other dual nationals we know do and simply presented the relevant passport to immigration on entry; Thai one when entering Thailand, British one when entering the UK.

No immigration officer anywhere has ever asked my wife or daughter if they hold another nationality and passport when entering. Neither have they ever checked in any of our passports for entry or exit stamps from other countries. They simply look at the ID page to check the passport belongs to the person presenting it and is still valid and, if one is required, there is a valid visa.

The last time they were refused entry on their Thai passports the immigration office said it was because they had travelled on their UK passports and so had to enter Thailand on their UK passports, so it seems Thai immigration know what passport you are traveling on BEFORE you reach Thailand. I'm not the smallest or quietest guy but it took all of my will power to bite my tongue and let my wife deal with it.

Brigante7.

2 hours ago, Brigante7 said:

The last time they were refused entry on their Thai passports the immigration office said it was because they had travelled on their UK passports and so had to enter Thailand on their UK passports, so it seems Thai immigration know what passport you are traveling on BEFORE you reach Thailand............

There are, I believe various databases with such information on which immigration officials can check if they wish.

However, as passports are not routinely checked on exiting the UK, it is highly unlikely they got that information from the UK Border Force.

They may have been able to check which passport she used to check in with the airline; but as the airline would want to know she could enter Thailand, surely she used her Thai passport for that?

Which is what my wife does when travelling UK to Thailand;

• check in with airline using Thai passport:
  • exit and pass through UK passport control using British passport, if required to do so; which in 16 years she never has been:
  • enter Thailand, and pass through Thai immigration, her Thai passport

She is in Thailand currently, and did exactly that when she entered; with, as always, no problems.

As I said before, I think that for some reason your wife has been unlucky and encountered a Thai immigration official who either doesn't know the rules or merely wanted to throw their weight around.

I suggest that if it happens again your wife asks to speak to their supervisor.

• Like 1