Non-immigrant O-A visa

I've been coming and going to Thailand for a year now on tourist visas.

On 17th October 2016 I got a Non Immigrant O-A multiple entry visa and entered on 24th October 2016, got an entry stamp till 23rd October 2017,  just wanted to clarify a couple of points :

NOTE: this is O-A not just O visa 

I have to appear at immigration every ( or slightly before) 90 days, ?

What happens if I go out the country and come back in within this 90 days ?, does my 90 days start over or stick to original 90 day schedule 

7 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

No - this (O-A) is a special one year permitted to stay on entry version for long stay (retirement) reasons - the "A" after the visa letter type indicates this.

Thanks for clarification. Still learning something new after so many years. How to get this sort of Visa and what are the requirements? This sounds more interesting to me than a 1-year-extension of stay, at least for people travelling a lot, as you obviously won't need re-entry permits (hence "multiple entry non-O-A)

You need to obtain in your home country, from official Embassy/Consulate facility.  Same 800k in bank or 65k per month income requirement but can be in home country.  Additional requirement is short medical form and local police check paper.  You should find full details on your home country Thai Embassy website.  This can cover up to almost 2 years stay and as valid for one year from date of issue and an entry just before expires gets a new one year stay (re-entry permits would be required for travel in second year).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

You need to obtain in your home country, from official Embassy/Consulate facility.  Same 800k in bank or 65k per month income requirement but can be in home country.  Additional requirement is short medical form and local police check paper.  You should find full details on your home country Thai Embassy website.  This can cover up to almost 2 years stay and as valid for one year from date of issue and an entry just before expires gets a new one year stay (re-entry permits would be required for travel in second year).

We have been discussing the medical form on a different thread. It is indeed a short medical form but unless your doctor is prepared to sign it without doing the tests required then it is almost impossible to get done without spending a lot of money.

I have checked with the BMI the tests are not something they do. I even asked a Harley street doctor and he told me they were more clinical diagnoses rather than medical tests.

There is one company I have contacted so far who seem to know what these tests are about and on their website it says the cost will be about £100 maybe more depending on what medical is requires. There seems to be only one medical that is required, so I asked them to give me a quote. It came to £503 and I assume that doesn't include VAT so looking at £600 +

Edited by berybert

When I did mine I just got a letter from my GP saying I didn't have any of the communicable diseases but then decided to get it done in Thailand as well using the form downloaded from Thai embassy website as I thought the GP's letter  would not be sufficient and sure enough it wasn't !!

So i just  went to local hospital and paid 360 baht ( around £8.50) . If getting it done in  Thailand is an option for you I would certainly recommend it .Cheap and quick, and the Thai embassy in London accepted mine for my O-A visa.

1 minute ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

When I did mine I just got a letter from my GP saying I didn't have any of the communicable diseases but then decided to get it done in Thailand as well using the form downloaded from Thai embassy website as I thought the GP's letter  would not be sufficient and sure enough it wasn't !!

So i just  went to local hospital and paid 360 baht ( around £8.50) . If getting it done in  Thailand is an option for you I would certainly recommend it .Cheap and quick, and the Thai embassy in London accepted mine for my O-A visa.

I would not recommend this though, since the form I recieved from the thai embassy back home (not UK) states it shuld be performed by a doctor in the vicinity of your "home". Other links show a form without this. (see attachment). Better safe than sorry, you never know what they could pick on for refusal, but up to you.

I had major problems finding a doctor in my home town willing to help me. In fact they mostly giggled and asked why in the world this was mandatory. The tests för elephantiasis, leprocy, syphilis stage three, tuberculosis adds up. Non common and must be preordered. The sum quoted above would be similar in my country. Finally I found a doctor who agreed this could easily be done by a clinical diagnose with visual examination. I did not look like a drug addict either btw. Still a fee of aprox €150 ;)

medicalform.pdf

22 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

So go to Thailand to get the medical done on a normal entry visa. Get the tests done in a hospital there then come back and use that for the AO VISA ? Did the hospital in Thailand do the tests ? If so how long did it take from start to finish ?  Its a good idea as long as I can do it in less than a week.

Yeah, obviously it's not an option for everyone, but most people looking at getting a O-A visa will go to Thailand before they get their O-A as in my case. If I can find the medical form I will post to this thread.

Mine went like this: I already suspected my English Gp's letter would not be acceptable so one day I printed the form and with my Thai girlfriend went to the local hospital, paid 360 baht, had a blood pressure check, they took a blood sample, then checked height, weight etc, took about 30 mins.

Waited approx 1 hour then saw a doctor who gave me a 2 minute once over with the stethoscope then signed the form + medical sheet.

simple as that !!

Have added photos of results 

Edited by ubonjoe
Removed images that contained personnal info.
  • Like 1