Change visa from Non-B plus 'extension' of stay to a new Visa based on Marriage

Hi all, tried to search on the forums but wasn't 100% sure of I am understanding correctly. I may of misunderstood the terminology and visa types, so apologies in advance if the subject has already been covered.

I have held a Non-B visa for a number of years now (business owner) and done the annual extension of stay (12 months) each year at immigration.  I have not really had any issues with this type of visa or extension of stay (lots of paper work obviously) and its been convenient as I don't have to leave the country if I don't need to. In cases we go on holiday overseas then I just get a 're-entry' issued.

My question or need clarification on is:

In the next 3 weeks before my current 12 month extension of stay expires for my (Non-B) so I wish to switch to a Marriage Visa given I am recently married and its just seem to make more sense and perhaps less paperwork each year...Which I understand is called a Non-O visa  for Marriage ? So did I understand that means changing from a Non-B to a Non-O  or is it just changing the extension of stay ?

Also would I have to leave the country for this or just renew as normal at immigration i.e as I have done in the past with my Non-B extension of stay. 

Note my Non-B and extension of stay was issued in Surrathani the past few years but I have moved to Bangkok and living their with my wife so the Extension of stay or visa will be issued from Bangkok.

Thanks for any clarification or helpful guidance.

You could change the reason for your extension based upon working to one based upon marriage.

You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 2 months or proof 40k baht income proven by monthly tax payments and you annual tax return for last year.

I suggest you contact your local immigration office to find out what other documents you might need.

• Like 2

Thanks Joe, this is what I had hoped so thats sounds good. So will see if I just need to change reason for 'extension' and show 400k which is fine. I will get the wife to call immigration on Monday to double check.

Bank statement - any idea if I need show the date of the updated statement was a day or two before submit my application, reason is I did one about 2 weeks back perhaps a bit premature.   

Thanks again

21 minutes ago, Devil said:

Bank statement - any idea if I need show the date of the updated statement was a day or two before submit my application, reason is I did one about 2 weeks back perhaps a bit premature.   

You will need a letter from the bank confirming you account and balance. Your bank book will need to be updated on the date you get the letter. Some offices want the bank letter to be no older than the day before you apply and the bank book updated on the date you apply.

Using the money in the bank option will make getting the extension easier since you don't need prove your income or even let them know you have a work permit.

• Like 1

When I did the same last year, immigration (BKK) - on top of the normal docs required for an extension based on marriage - asked for a letter from my employer confirming that I was still employed (and thus had not 'overstayed' my previous extension based on work). You may want to prepare for that.

• Like 1

its is very important to go the local immigration office to obtain the full set of documents needed. I learnt that from 1st hand experience. depending on your situation there might be additional documents needed. Bring your Thai wife down to ask for the list of documents needed. Go through all of list thoroughly and in detail. Do not be afraid to ask in detail even if they seem busy. U do not want to assume u know anything cos if u went home and came back without 1 document u will be sent back to prepare again and if u said u dont know, u will be replied simply, it is your responsibility to know or to ask. 

• Like 1