process for Thai passport for UK child 

my son born 8 weeks ago is returning to Thailand with his mum for a holiday.

hes just got a UK passport
Im English , mums Thai . how do i go about getting him a passport in Thailand.

ive read the thai embassy London website .. 
do i have to get his birth certificate  translated ? can i do it buy post ? FCO bit is confusing me, do they do the translating part ? 

ive not got time to go to london , My wife's flight is on the 17th of this month . Cant she do it all Thailand... 
im presuming she can get him a passport quite easy in Thailand if she has a Thai birth certificate  .  is that wrong ?

thanks for any help
Edited by BEDBANDIT

A translation of the UK birth certificate is not required. This from this page on London embassy website.

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/191

2.  A photocopy of UK/Irish Full Birth Certificate.

There should be enough time to get the Thai birth certificate before leaving for the trip. But not a passport.

She could get the passport here after registering your child in a house book to get the 13 digit Thai ID number by showing the Thai birth certificate issued by the embassy.

yes .... i spent  an 1 hour 38 mins  on hold the other day , @ 7p a minute 

Im not going to london , i live in the north of england , can this be done at a thai consulate in liverpool ?

also if it cant be done ... what Thai visa should i apply for , he will be in thailnd for about 3-4 months .

18 minutes ago, BEDBANDIT said:

yes .... i spent  an 1 hour 38 mins  on hold the other day , @ 7p a minute 

Im not going to london , i live in the north of england , can this be done at a thai consulate in liverpool ?

also if it cant be done ... what Thai visa should i apply for , he will be in thailnd for about 3-4 months .

Only the embassy can issue the birth certificate. Liverpool is a honorary consulate is the reason they cannot do it.

He could get a single entry non-o visa  based upon being a Thai national. He could also get a one year extension of a visa exempt entry at immigration for being a returning Thai national . His UK passport to prove his mother is Thai and her ID card and house book to prove her Thai nationality would be needed.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't think there is anyway to get around both parents being present for the birth registration. You could try contacting them about it.

Yes, I am certain that both parents are required to appear in person at the Thai Embassy for the birth registration. I am speaking from experience.

If your wife is returning to Thailand it would probably be easier to obtain the passport here I am Aus/Brit and my wife Thai/Aus we recently obtained a Thai passport for our baby who was born here in Thailand.

We obtained the passport in Chiang Mai and they were the most efficient and helpful Thai government department I have dealt with in the five years I have lived here.

I am sure that you will need the English birth certificate translated into Thai but there is a company that advertises on this site that obtained our daughter's UK passport and had the Thai birth certificate translated into English

Cannot see why they couldn't do the translation

Also I think the child will need to be registered at the District Office

Let the child travel on the UK passport - you don't need any visa at all for a child of that age.

Further, let the child enter Thailand as a British Citizen, then if anything goes wrong, you'll have cover under your travel insurance policy. A UK policy won't cover citizens of another country, just Brits.