Why are trainers (tennis shoes) so incredible expensive in Thailand?

watcharacters

Just now, YeahSiam said:

I doubt the cheap trainers helped, mate but I wouldn't expect you to admit that

Wildly and ludicrously speculative. I went "elliptical, bike, stepper, speed march up a treadmill" in my mid thirties, and I'd been wearing proper brand name trainers up to that point. There's no science behind most oi what's claimed. Imagine your bare foot on something hard, then imagine it on something soft. Is the hard surface damaging you knee and hip because of the impact, or allowing you to avoid damage because of the stability? If it's soft are you avoiding impact (and so damage) or are you introducing damage (through the instability)?

Once you've decided that there's no obvious answer to that - which there isn't - you're left saying, "Well, if you've got the specific kind of problem which is exacerbated by instability you should do X and if you've got a problem exacerbated by impact you should do y". But the trouble is you don't easily know what's causing it, and the fact that impact causes pain now that you've got the problem isn't a proof that impact caused the problem.

Then you've got the "Which kind of shoes do I need?", a question which raises exactly the same problems as the above.

People like new training shoes. They feel really bouncy, and people love brands. The US is covered with people who wear Nikes and couldn't break into a run if a bomb was about to go off. Whatever.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1170253/The-painful-truth-trainers-Are-expensive-running-shoes-waste-money.html

34 minutes ago, fruitman said:

My friend is a runner too, he always had no brandname runningsneakers.

One day his urine got all red, went to doctor and he adviced him to buy real runners...that helped...

But do you care about science and reason, or are you happy with that? If he hits the ground really hard, and he's got very low bodyfat, then he'll pee blood. More cushioning will instantly stop that happening, if it was borderline "not happening" before. That we can then go to, "Everyone should..." is just false. Nothing produces cockamamie theories like exercise. I can remember more than ten years ago trying to talk sense into people about Crossfit, or Kettle bells, and it's a waste of time. People just "know" things. I read the research and I try to use reason. I'm 51. At the end of June I rode 3,000m on the Wattbike in 3:52 (and 51 milliseconds). On Saturday night I did my back and bicep workout - 18 pull ups first set from a dead hang. I was in the Hares and Hounds running club at Glasgow Uni with a load of medical and exercise physiology students, including Gerry McCann, Madeleine's father. People interested in serious exercise really get past slogans and cliches. My mother might have all kinds of opinions about the need for a "good pair of boots" for covering long distances, but her regurgitating that common sense view doesn't make it true. 

But - to reiterate - whatever keeps you happy. If you need to spend $100 on some foam and mesh then you should. If you're interested in why you want them you might want to think about what a Veblen good is. 

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/v/veblen-good.asp

To answer your question and to be brutally honest....because there are plenty of people out there who are willing to pay ridiculously high prices for top branded products and manufacturers know this, simples.

22 minutes ago, lumply said:

To answer your question and to be brutally honest....because there are plenty of people out there who are willing to pay ridiculously high prices for top branded products and manufacturers know this, simples.

Yeah, but the Thais seem brutally competitive on everything else. I think 1) nearly all (or all imported), hence import duties, 2) mainly (or disproportionately) farang market, and 3) a lot of the Thai consumers maybe aren't as au fait with what the prices could (or should) be: it's not something they're buying all the time. 

But there probably is a Veblen good element to it. 

I have a similar problem with my feet - broken medial sesamoid bones in both feet and a sesamoidectomy on my right foot and I found that only new balance fit right. I ended up buying them while on a business trip to Canada. They were still well over 100 USD but they had a two for one sale, making them really reasonable.

I think the only way someone with real foot problems (and big feet) can find a good fit is to try them on, and that might just mean a trip to another country...

4 hours ago, lumply said:

I think it's more the opposite...that the cost to import high-end merchandise in relatively low quantities and then sell them at high-rent mall shops is expensive and hence the higher prices.

It's curious, however, that it's not always the case. The last time I bought an Apple product (iPad), it was cheaper to buy it in Thailand than the USA (albeit not by much) and the soap I buy, L'Occitane, is $ 15 a bar in the US and the same baht equilivent at Central Department in Thailand. The Hagen Daz ice-cream bars and pints that I love are almost tripple the cost, however (though I sometimes find them at 2 for 1 prices),...go figure. 

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

On 11/7/2016 at 0:56 PM, Lammbock said:

I accept the high prices for sneakers because I do not have much choices. My size is US13.

Mostly only new arrivals have that size available for short period.

On 11/7/2016 at 1:03 PM, jay1980 said:

If you are not worried about them being a brand name, check out decathlon

http://www.decathlon.co.th/en/1019-tennis-shoes

http://www.decathlon.co.th/en/c/28-store-location

Outstanding jay1980.

I most definitely don't care about a brand name and I do wholeheartedly appreciate your helpful  reply.     It's bookmarked so I can  order using it once we return from  an upcoming holiday.

In the past I've shied  away from ordering online due to the matter of proper fit, but with the prices shown on your link it's worth the gamble.

Many thanks..

On 11/7/2016 at 0:56 PM, Lammbock said:

I accept the high prices for sneakers because I do not have much choices. My size is US13.

Mostly only new arrivals have that size available for short period.

I got ya Lammbock,  and clearly I accepted  the high price I paid on that day.     But certainly it doesn't mean I have to smile as I got bent over paying 3 - 6 times what I feel would be a fair price.

I wouldn't have even posted about it had they had the 2950 THB model in stock of which I'd have bought two  or more in my size.

The 5500 THB  was for a pair of shoes I didn't really like.    They just seem to fit although they're really a size 12.  I'm not an orange color shoe kind of fellow.smile.gif

I failed to mention the store had a fantastic promo going on @ 15%  discount on a second pair of shoes  The discount applied on the lower priced pair of course.     Somehow I couldn't manage to justify paying 11,000 THB  for two pairs of tennis shoes.   I'm not a collector as one friend is.

On 11/7/2016 at 2:01 PM, Briggsy said:

This.

And add in

i) the often sole importer/sole wholesaler/sole distributor agreement either with the manufacturer or Customs

ii) the price fixing arrangement with any competitors

et voila, there you have the Thai retail model commonly known as a monopoly or cartel.

That is why the consumer gets shafted.

It should be noted as well, that although Thailand has lost a lot of its shoe production to China, Vietnam and South Asia, it is still the number 7 producer in the world.

Of course, I figured as much but I wanted to make sure there wasn't a hidden compartment on the shoe containing gold I should know about.

Edited by watcharacters

On 11/8/2016 at 8:00 AM, joepattaya1961 said:

Currently, sneakers/trainers are immense popular, especially the ones with screaming colors and famous brands.

Another reason is, that a few years the biggest manufacturer in sport-shoes near SriRacha  closed its doors or at least stopped producing branded sport-shoes.

So most if not all branded sport shoes have to be imported and yes, mostly from China.

Good Night!      "screaming colors and famous brands."

Maybe I should just consider my Orange shoes as an investment destined to increase in value over time.stoner.gif

3 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Good Night!      "screaming colors and famous brands."

Maybe I should just consider my Orange shoes as an investment destined to increase in value over time.stoner.gif

Go on You Tube, there's a whole subculture of idiots who collect and "invest" in sneakers.

17 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

In not knowing which model of shoe, or which type of shoe you are discussing, complaining about price is a bit silly. For example, I run, and go through several pairs of running shoes a year. I always pay about $100 US or so a pair, which I consider very reasonable.

Sports related shoes are made for specific sports, and by just mentioning the color, you provide us with meaningless information with which to make a decision.

Al, you have piqued my curiosity  by this comment:  

"Sports related shoes are made for specific sports, and by just mentioning the color, you provide us with meaningless information with which to make a decision."

If possible, would you kindly take a moment to explain  your meaning?

TIA

4 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

Go on You Tube, there's a whole subculture of idiots who collect and "invest" in sneakers.

To each his own OMGI

A friend was in the PI recently and wrote to me about buying sneakers there for discounted prices from what he was paying in the country where he generally lives.    Prior to that I had no clue sneakers were a collectors item.  

One  place I read about some sneakers selling for up to 3,000 USD and no they were not worn by Abraham Lincoln or someone similar.

I'd be more likely to start collecting toilet paper holders, myself.

Al, you have piqued my curiosity  by this comment:  

"Sports related shoes are made for specific sports, and by just mentioning the color, you provide us with meaningless information with which to make a decision."

If possible, would you kindly take a moment to explain  your meaning?

TIA

Thanks.

There are running shoes, walking shoes, cross training shoes, shoes actually made for tennis. Each has a different design for a specific function.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

On 11/8/2016 at 3:14 PM, SpokaneAl said:

In not knowing which model of shoe, or which type of shoe you are discussing, complaining about price is a bit silly. For example, I run, and go through several pairs of running shoes a year. I always pay about $100 US or so a pair, which I consider very reasonable.

Sports related shoes are made for specific sports, and by just mentioning the color, you provide us with meaningless information with which to make a decision.

The OP specifically mentioned New Balance and the price differential between the NB he was wearing and the NB price in the shop

I bought a pair of Nike trainers from Central festival in Pattaya few years ago. first time I worn them it was raining and my feet got soaked.

I took them back to the store straight away and wasn't disappointed. I was told because they had been worn they couldn't be replaced or my money refunded. 

I will now buy 3 or 4 pairs when I come back to the UK each year.

1 hour ago, berybert said:

I bought a pair of Nike trainers from Central festival in Pattaya few years ago. first time I worn them it was raining and my feet got soaked.

I took them back to the store straight away and wasn't disappointed. I was told because they had been worn they couldn't be replaced or my money refunded. 

I will now buy 3 or 4 pairs when I come back to the UK each year.

Am I missing something here? Why would they take back trainers they couldn't sell? 

The OP specifically mentioned New Balance and the price differential between the NB he was wearing and the NB price in the shop

Thanks. That was my point. New Balance, like the majority of other shoe companies make a variety of different shoes for different sports. We do not know what model of New Balance shoe he was discussing, and needs.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

2 hours ago, Craig krup said:

Am I missing something here? Why would they take back trainers they couldn't sell? 

Why ? Would you expect trainers to leak first time you wear them in the rain ? They shouldn't have sold faulty goods in the first place.

That might be what you are missing.

11 minutes ago, berybert said:

Why ? Would you expect trainers to leak first time you wear them in the rain ? They shouldn't have sold faulty goods in the first place.

That might be what you are missing.

That's exactly what I would expect, that my feet would get wet if I wore my tennis shoes out in the rain.  You do realize that they aren't manufactured to be waterproof?

Just now, Diplomatico said:

That's exactly what I would expect, that my feet would get wet if I wore my tennis shoes out in the rain.  You do realize that they aren't manufactured to be waterproof?

Who said they were tennis shoes ? And yes they were meant to be waterpoof. Would you expect a normal pair of shoes to leak also ?

Go look in an equivalent UK department store, house of Fraser, john Lewis, etc and you'll be hard pressed to find decent trainers under 100 quid. When you're shopping in a Thai mall that's the equivalent of what you're doing, even though it may not feel it. Add to that the insane import tax, Thai worship of brands, and there you go. 

Converse do cheap trainers mind, maybe 2k a pair or less. 

On 11/8/2016 at 2:16 PM, YeahSiam said:

Can't say I've noticed higher prices for Nikes.

Having said that, I find the range of choice here extremely limited so I personally import them from places like Eastbay or Amazon.

The import duty takes the price up a bit but you get exactly what you want. 

Brought in a pair of these Nike Shox R4s earlier this year - total 7,000 but totally bombproof

7934b30c4cc86373bca840d2c41230cb.jpg

crazy made for peanuts in China or Vietnam