On Nut vs. Soi Ari

transat99

Hi -- it has been over a decade since I last visited Bangkok ... and more than 15 years since I briefly lived there.

I will be staying in Bangkok for four months beginning in January and am trying to decide whether to search for an apartment in On Nut/Bang Chak -or- Ari/Saphan Kwai areas...?!?  I am looking for a newer studio and prefer to keep my monthly rental near 10K baht.

Previously, I lived in the Petchburi Soi 5 area and liked it (perhaps a bit 'gritty' for me these days).  And I also lived on Sukhumvit Soi 11right in the chaos of the Nana area ... and I LOVED it!  I really don't mind all the noise and activity -but- Sukhumvit 11 is probably out of my price range since I have my USA apartment and a LOT of other expenses back home that I will be paying for as well.

Since I've never even been to the On Nut or Ari areas, I have no idea which area I should concentrate on.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any input...

On Nut is boring as hell.

Ari is a bit more interesting but in my opinion, it is over rated. seriously over rated. 

therefore, Onnut is probably better. if you are going cheap, you can find that number in soi 50 but you gotta go a ways in. 

I lived in Din Daeng before - Ratchada Soi 3. I really liked that area.

I was a very short motocy ride from the MRT, Central Rama 9, Esplanade, Fortune, and a quick MRT ride to anything I wanted.

Reasonable pricing as well, but requires some leg work, as not all properties are easily located online.

Live in Ari now and wanted to live near O Nut when I first arrived when they had the cool beer/restaurant tents which is now a construction sight.  Ari is a bit over rated with the western restaurants here as most are mediocre at best but it does provide a quiet area with some small parks.  Good luck though on those prices as the modern studios that have popped up are quite expensive.....20,000 for 32m near the BTS........the only chance you have at 10,000 a month would be in an older building built in the 80-90s and even then your not going to get the amenities of a new building.  Also, renting for four months might be a problem..........unless, you find something on airbnb  etc

4 hours ago, Minnehaha said:

On Nut is boring as hell.

Ari is a bit more interesting but in my opinion, it is over rated. seriously over rated. 

therefore, Onnut is probably better. if you are going cheap, you can find that number in soi 50 but you gotta go a ways in. 

I agree with the first sentence.

I've been renting at On Nut Sukhumvit 77(2) Lumpini Ville for the last few months.

The condo units are nice, very well run and you will certainly find something in your price range, but there is little to recommend the area otherwise. The only half decent restaurant (Thai) is 15 minutes walk away. There are a couple of shop house places that close before 9.00pm and all the locals seem to eat from food stalls. If you like chicken's feet, pig's intestines, fish heads or nameless globs of bone and gristle you will be well catered for. Parts of On Nut nearer the sky train may be better, but I really think you would be better off trying to find something off Sukhumvit nearer Asoke if possible.

Agreed. On Nut is a total bore since the demise of On Nut Night Market. There's is nothing there except endless mini-apartments (yes, affordable but 28-32 sq metres!) and Tesco Lotus. The Big C Supercentre down On Nut road is useless. The area is also very crowded on the streets and in the BTS station.

Try Phra Khanong. There's the fun W District (with good food, clean toilets, almost!), J Bar, Craft, Mom (I think this is the name) and Romanesc. Condos include: Wyne, Aspire 48 and older, cheaper Waterford Park. 

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

Thanks for all the input!

I figured that On Nut/Bang Chak area was probably bordering on boring.  But I always heard that you can get a nice (and newer) apartment for a LOT less than the Nana/Asoke areas.  And, if the apartment is close to the skytrain, most of the 'fun' areas of Bangkok are just a quick BTS ride away!

Not surprised to hear that the Ari area is overrated ... I never could find much info online showing anything uber-wonderful there.  It also seems to be much more expensive than On Nut.

And, thanks to your suggestions, I'm expanding my search to other areas of Bangkok as well (including MRT-friendly areas)...

Plenty of options in the Onnut area for 10K and under, even some serviced apartments. The closer to the BTS the higher the rent of course. Bang Chak also has some nice rental units in the 10K range. As already stated the area has little in the way of nightlife or entertainment/western restaurants so BTS to where the action is.