I understand you can get a visa for Laos from travel agencies.

Would anyone be able to recommend one in Chiang Mai (centrally located) ?

How long does it take to get the visa ?

Do you just take your passport (and money) ? Photo or anything else needed ?

Can anyone recommend a hotel in Vientiane - 4 or perhaps 5 star, preferably not the high-rise type, reasonably close to Thai Embassy ?

Edit to add : I read on another website that you can get a visa on arrival at Wattay (Vientiane) International Airport.

Can anyone confirm this from recent personal experience ?

Edited by spectrum

Edit to add : I read on another website that you can get a visa on arrival at Wattay (Vientiane) International Airport.

Can anyone confirm this from recent personal experience ?

Further to that, I read the following on the Laos Embassy, BKK, site :

"there are now 13 International Immigration Check Points in Laos, where Lao citizens, immigrants and Foreign nationals with their own Passports and an appropriate visa issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or an Embassy or a Consulate General of the Lao PDR overseas are permitted to enter into and exit from Laos or to obtain a visa on their arrival as follows:

1. Wattay International Airport ( In Vientiane Capital )

I guess this will be the easiest way as I will fly in.

I did a visa run to Laos last year, entering at Friendship Bridge in Nong Khai. A visa on arrival was available for either $30 USD or 1500 baht (so take USD to save money). Also take lots of 20 baht notes to avoid being stuck with tons of local currency (baht and USD accepted everywhere in Vientiane, but you'll receive local currency as change).

Hotels are more expensive than in Thailand. If arriving via Friendship Bridge, I recommend staying the night at the Pantawee Hotel in Nong Khai, then crossing the bridge in the morning. They have computers in all rooms with broadband internet for about 700 baht, a far better value than what you'll find in Vientiane.

You'll need to arrive at the Thai Embassy before noon to submit your paperwork, and can then pick up your visa the next afternoon. There are lots of 'visa agents' that will do the paperwork for you, but I wouldn't trust leaving my passport with them.

Vientiane is not a particularly large city, and shuts down early. Not much after 11PM. Some good French Restaurants around the fountain, good pastries. Also good coffee and Beer Lao is very tasty. Be sure to bring back a 6-pack from the duty free shop on your return.

Maybe things have changed since I was in Vientienne during July 2004, but I found it to be very inexpensive, barring of course the tuk-tuks. I stayed at a hotel near the Cultural Hall, and it cost me about 165K kip per night. I believe that is equivalent to $13, which is approximately 600 baht.

Within walking distance of the hotel, there was a restaurant that accepted credit cards, which was nice. A meal and a sampling of every alcoholic beverage on the menu (15+ varieties including BeerLao), costs me about $25. Sandwiches (using french bread) are available thru food vendors on the street. Very good for the price. If you need to get around, rent a motorcycle (was 200 baht/day). In Vientienne, the driving is done on the correct side of the street... that is, to one's right. Thai cell phones seem to only work near the Mekong riverbank.

BeerLao is not that impressive of a beer, and it is available in Thailand.

Foreign passports must be submitted (with application for visa) at the Thai Consulate before 1pm. Passport with visa (if granted) will be returned the next business day after 1pm. Avoid submitting passport to the consulate on a Friday, unless you wish to spend the weekend there (earliest pickup of the passport would be Monday afternoon).

Edited by Gumballl

Thanks for all the info.

I am flying in to the airport in Vientiane. It seems I can get my Laos visa there, on arrival (at night) but would be nice if someone could confirm this.

P.S. I will book a room at this place : http://www.malinamphu.com/MSindex.htm

It was recommended somewhere else on thaivisa.

Edited by spectrum