retirement "Permission" expires when I'm out of the country.

It runs out two days before my return.    In the meantime I'm leaving the country with a multiple entry stamp.   Everything is in order.

Will I be OK to return and  go to immigration  to simply renew my  retirement permission?   Or do i need to do something else?     I would have left with the valid reentry permit.   

What's in store?

As said your re-entry permit has the same expiration date as your extension of stay - it is not valid beyond that date.  So you should plan to obtain a non immigrant O visa for a new entry and about 60 days later extend again.  

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you return after your extension ends you will only get a 30 day visa exempt entry and will have start all over again to get a new extension.

I wonder if he could do something at his Thai consulate back home to avert this debacle?

1 minute ago, Grubster said:

I wonder if he could do something at his Thai consulate back home to avert this debacle?

Depending on the consulate, you may be able to get a single entry Non O to restart the process of retirement extension in Thailand.

2 minutes ago, Grubster said:

Nothing other than getting a single entry non-o visa from a honorary consulate.

Or a OA visa from an embassy or official consulate. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Nothing other than getting a single entry non-o visa from a honorary consulate.

Or a OA visa from an embassy or official consulate. 

I'm sure glad my renewal is in FEB. as I will never want to be back home at that time. I didn't plan that it just worked out that way but it sure is food for thought for one who plans on starting an extension. Thanks Joe.

• Like 1

On a slightly different tack, last year i changed a standard single entry visa to a retirement ( eventually ) . This has now run out, and I now have a Multiple entry visa to come back in December.

Does anyone know if this visa can also be changed for retirement extension ?

15 minutes ago, anfh said:

On a slightly different tack, last year i changed a standard single entry visa to a retirement ( eventually ) . This has now run out, and I now have a Multiple entry visa to come back in December.

Does anyone know if this visa can also be changed for retirement extension ?

If you have a multiple entry non-o visa you can apply for an extension during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries from the visa.

On 11/9/2016 at 4:53 PM, ubonjoe said:

If you return after your extension ends you will only get a 30 day visa exempt entry and will have start all over again to get a new extension.

On 11/9/2016 at 6:36 PM, Sophon said:

If possible you should get a new retirement extension before you leave, you can extend 30 days (45 days in some locations) before your current permission to stay runs out. Your post doesn't contain enough detail to determine whether that's an option or not.

Sophon

Thanks all, and everyone else who replied.

I think the extension may have been an option and would have prevented  me from having to buy another multiple reentry.    I didn't know about the extension possibility or even  contemplate such an animal.

Next time..

On 11/10/2016 at 2:06 AM, ubonjoe said:

If you have a multiple entry non-o visa you can apply for an extension during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries from the visa.

I have a related question, I have a ME O - A retirement visa, if I have permission to stay after expiration date of oringinal visa, can I apply for extension of my visa in Thailand before permission to stay expiration date or must I apply for extension before the expiration of my original visa?

20 minutes ago, TBKK said:

I have a related question, I have a ME O - A retirement visa, if I have permission to stay after expiration date of oringinal visa, can I apply for extension of my visa in Thailand before permission to stay expiration date or must I apply for extension before the expiration of my original visa?

You will be extending your permission to stay not your visa so its expiration date means nothing more than the last day you can enter the country for a new one year entry.

It is possible to get almost 2 years of total stay form your visa before you need to apply for the extension. After your visas enter before date you will need a re-entry permit to keep the last one year permission to stay valid it you want to travel.

On 11/16/2016 at 4:09 AM, ubonjoe said:

You will be extending your permission to stay not your visa so its expiration date means nothing more than the last day you can enter the country for a new one year entry.

It is possible to get almost 2 years of total stay form your visa before you need to apply for the extension. After your visas enter before date you will need a re-entry permit to keep the last one year permission to stay valid it you want to travel.

So if I curretly have a ME - OA visa that expires on Oct  4 2017, and I currently have permission to stay until Nov. 7, 2017, best thing to do if I leave on April 30, 2017 and want to return on Nov. 1, 2017 would be to purchase a re-entry permit before I leave Thailand and then apply for a one year extension to stay before Nov 7, 2017 in Thailand.  

The other option would be to apply for a new ME - OA retirement visa when I get back to the States after April 30.

Does my understanding of this situation seem correct?

10 minutes ago, TBKK said:

So if I curretly have a ME - OA visa that expires on Oct  4 2017, and I currently have permission to stay until Nov. 7, 2017, best thing to do if I leave on April 30, 2017 and want to return on Nov. 1, 2017 would be to purchase a re-entry permit before I leave Thailand and then apply for a one year extension to stay before Nov 7, 2017 in Thailand.  

The other option would be to apply for a new ME - OA retirement visa when I get back to the States after April 30.

Does my understanding of this situation seem correct?

You have it correct but my suggestion would be to do a border hop shortly before your trip to get a new one year entry and then get a re-entry permit for that one year entry.

You could get a new new visa after October 4th of 2017without a problem. Before that date they might not issue a new one unless the were willing to cancel your still valid visa.

24 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You have it correct but my suggestion would be to do a border hop shortly before your trip to get a new one year entry and then get a re-entry permit for that one year entry.

You could get a new new visa after October 4th of 2017 without a problem. Before that date they might not issue a new one unless the were willing to cancel your still valid visa.

Good idea........if I take a trip to get away from Songkran for about a week in early April, I can extend my permission to stay until April 2018.

Got it..........thanks for information. 

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You could get a new new visa after October 4th of 2017without a problem. Before that date they might not issue a new one unless the were willing to cancel your still valid visa.

I have one final question that came to mind.

If I did a border hop in April of 2017 and extended my permission to stay until April 15, 2018, and I left Thailand on April 1, 2018 and returned on April 10, 2018, would my permission to stay remain at April 15, 2018 or would I get a 30 day extension upon entry would would push my permission to stay from April 15, 2018 to May 10, 2018?

3 minutes ago, TBKK said:

I have one final question that came to mind.

If I did a border hop in April of 2017 and extended my permission to stay until April 15, 2018, and I left Thailand on April 1, 2018 and returned on April 10, 2018, would my permission to stay remain at April 15, 2018 or would I get a 30 day extension upon entry would would push my permission to stay from April 15, 2018 to May 10, 2018?

You would get stamped in until April 15, 2018 unless you asked the immigration officer not to use your re-entry permit and get a 30 day visa exempt entry instead. If you did that though you would not be able to apply for a one year extension until you got a non-o visa.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You would get stamped in until April 15, 2018 unless you asked the immigration officer not to use your re-entry permit and get a 30 day visa exempt entry instead. If you did that though you would not be able to apply for a one year extension until you got a non-o visa.

Ok, understand...........thanks.

I acquired my first retirement visa in 2004 and you have more knowledge of Thai Immigration policy than anyone that I have come across. 

Very helpful information.

• Like 1