UK Partner visa, translation requirements

Hi all,

This weekend I will be filling in a spouse visa for the wife. She has previously visited, for 6 months. I have a few questions:

1. For the visit visas I never bothered with translations. I never had any issues with that. Is the spouse visa any different? Are translations required?

2. For the visit visa, we supplied passbooks, but a friend is saying that bank statements are now required. Is that true?

3. Does the full spouse fee, some £1200 AND NHS surcharge (I don't know how much) have to be paid in full up front? I thought the NHS surcharge was collected later.

4. For her visit visa, she accidentally overstayed one week (my fault) and basically the visa comeback was why we don't get a partner visa, will this be an issue? She missed out on another visitors visa because of that.

4. Once all that is done, what is the appointment lead time.

I am heading over for a few weeks in a few weeks. She is in the process of getting her english test done and has just got the TB certificate. As far as I can tell, the rest of the documentation is much as for a visitors visa.

The fees, thousands, in full up front makes me very nervous.

Many thanks. Any answers appreciated.

Edited by ilgitano
refine

This weekend I will be filling in a spouse visa for the wife. She has previously visited, for 6 months. I have a few questions:

1. For the visit visas I never bothered with translations. I never had any issues with that. Is the spouse visa any different? Are translations required?

Yes. Anything you rely on as evidence that is in Thai, you need to get translated.

2. For the visit visa, we supplied passbooks, but a friend is saying that bank statements are now required. Is that true?

You really should go online and download the form and take a look at what is required.

Depending on what your situation is you will need bank statements. They need to be original statements or printed online statements where you get the bank to stamp each page or supply

a letter from the bank validating them. I am self employed and as I had so many statements to provide I stapled each month together and got the bank to stamp the front page of each. If you are employed you will need a P60 and payslips.

3. Does the full spouse fee, some £1200 AND NHS surcharge (I don't know how much) have to be paid in full up front? I thought the NHS surcharge was collected later.

The NHS surcharge needs to be paid first. I'm assuming that you intend getting married in Thailand as a Settlement M (fiancée) visa that my wife had only lasted for six months and the NHS surcharge doesn't need to be paid. The visa is paid upfront too.

4. For her visit visa, she accidentally overstayed one week (my fault) and basically the visa comeback was why we don't get a partner visa, will this be an issue? She missed out on another visitors visa because of that.

Is that one week over the length of the visa or one week over the time you originally requested for the visa?? ie More than six months? If more than six months you need to explain in your sponsor letter why she overstayed.

Not sure what you mean by visa comeback? Not sure what you mean about her missing out on another visitor visa. You can only spend 180 days in a 12 month period in the UK on a VV.

4. Once all that is done, what is the appointment lead time.

It varies. I've never had to wait more than three days.

I am heading over for a few weeks in a few weeks. She is in the process of getting her English test done and has just got the TB certificate. As far as I can tell, the rest of the documentation is much as for a visitors visa.

It is similar. You will already have most of the documentation from the VV but you do need to supply extra stuff like the validated bank statements.

Just make sure that everything to do with your application is right. 

As the previous poster has said, it is a requirement that documents not in English, or Welsh, be translated, some people don't bother and are successful most comply with the requirement, it's really up to you if you wish to comply.

For the visit visas your partner would have needed to satisfy the decision maker of her reasons to return, her bank details would have been part of that, hence to pass books.

For a settlement visa it's you that needs to provide evidence that you meet the financial requirements and as bank statements are the norm in the UK that's what you should supply. It's a requirement that they be originals and/or authorised, it's up to you if you comply with that requirement.  

Have you read the documentary requirements, I have attached for your info

Settlement supporting documents guide.pdf

Appendix_FM_1_7_Financial_Requirement_August_2015.pdf

@theoldgit My bank statements, I appreciate, have to be statements (and will be) I have no issue with that. I guess that effectively answers the question, since my wifes passbooks will be good enough on her side. The only thing I want to prove with those is that she has received support funds I've been sending over the years. Matching xfers sent from my account to hers.

@rasgI assume only my statements will need to be validated? Since financial requirements will be met entirely by me, based on income. That is a new one. Understandable in hindsight I guess, hope I can those from the local branch quickly. And I'm sure they'll want £5 a page. My payslips come by email, are prints of that good enough?

I recall seeing on support documents for visit visas that passbooks are good enough, but I haven't seen equivalent detail on support documents required for spouse visa. No clear comment that passbooks are good enough.

What happened with the overstay was a misunderstanding on my part. I had assumed that she had 6 months on entry to the UK. Like in thailand, a visit visa is 3 months from date of entry, and the UK up to about 2006 was like that. Since then though, the six months is from visa issue. She was issued the visa two weeks before coming to the UK. She left the UK 5 months and 3 weeks after arriving, six months and one week after the visa was issued.

I know, up to me to keep up with things like that.

With regards to translations and my nervousness with parting with that much up front: Failed applications will be refunded, £25 processing fee. Based on that I can just submit without translations, and they'll tell me to come back with translations if I need them. Authenticated translations are much cheaper in BKK than in CM, or translate them if I have time while in BKK.

All up fees look to £1185 visa + £500 2.5 years NHS, £1685 in total. I had incorrectly thought the NHS part was going to be £1000

I bank online, and I can see myself running into not being able to get the bank to certify the statements. It might be better to get a letter from my employer stating income and current employment status. Would that be good enough?

Any comments on what is happening in this link:

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/britain-expat-forum-expats-living-uk/248249-certified-bank-statements-experts-needed.html

FYI: electronic signatures have legal support since 2000 or so now. PDF documents can be electronically signed (genuine cryptographic signature, not just a pretty picture signature overlay, unforgeable) I've been signing contract/accounting form PDFs for years now. I notice that bank PDF statements are not cryptographically signed. My accountant did ask that I support the crypto signature with a scan of my paper signature. Does mean I would have to supply a memory stick with the statements on it with printouts.

Edited by ilgitano
refine

4 hours ago, ilgitano said:

What happened with the overstay was a misunderstanding on my part. I had assumed that she had 6 months on entry to the UK. Like in thailand, a visit visa is 3 months from date of entry, and the UK up to about 2006 was like that. Since then though, the six months is from visa issue. She was issued the visa two weeks before coming to the UK. She left the UK 5 months and 3 weeks after arriving, six months and one week after the visa was issued.

I do suggest that you explain why this happened in your sponsor letter.

I assume only my statements will need to be validated? Since financial requirements will be met entirely by me, based on income. That is a new one. Understandable in hindsight I guess, hope I can those from the local branch quickly. And I'm sure they'll want £5 a page. My payslips come by email, are prints of that good enough?

It all depends on your bank. I had to have a years statements from both my personal and my business accounts. I stapled each month and had the first page of each month stamped by a Santander branch. Total cost was £0.00 and they did it while I waited.

I have never heard of Thai bank statements needing to be validated. What I have heard is that some banks issue statements in Thai. Those need to be translated.

I have never supplied bank statements  for my then girlfriend for any of her visas.

Is a passbook a Tabien Baan? If it is you need it translated.

My payslips come by email, are prints of that good enough?

Print them and explain that in your sponsor letter.

Based on that I can just submit without translations, and they'll tell me to come back with translations if I need them. Authenticated translations are much cheaper in BKK than in CM, or translate them if I have time while in BKK.

I really, really would not do that. I have seen instances where they just refuse the visa. On the other hand I have heard of them asking for extra docs on a settlement visa. Up to you but you are playing with fire and it will take longer.

I bank online, and I can see myself running into not being able to get the bank to certify the statements. It might be better to get a letter from my employer stating income and current employment status. Would that be good enough?

No it won’t. You need to supply them with your work contract any way. As well as your payslips. Have you taken a look at the requirements?

Does mean I would have to supply a memory stick with the statements on it with printouts.

They don't accept any documents in electronic form at all.

My accountant did ask that I support the crypto signature with a scan of my paper signature

Does this mean you are self employed? if you are, or you have your own limited company the rules and requirements are totally different from people with a "normal" job.

What happened with the overstay was a misunderstanding on my part. I had assumed that she had 6 months on entry to the UK

Whilst any overstay is the responsibility of the applicant, not their spouse, to explain, I wouldn't be too concerned over it, overstays of up to 28 days are normally ignored but nevertheless it is an overstay and it should be mentioned. The overstay was ten years ago and with this application she doesn't need to satisfy the ECO that she intends to return, I would mention it though.

Failed applications will be refunded, £25 processing fee. Based on that I can just submit without translations, and they'll tell me to come back with translations if I need them.

I'm assuming you know that the visa application fee isn't refunded in the event that an application is refused, only the NHS Surcharge, the fee is the cost of processing the application, if the application is refused the application fee isn't refunded. It is entirely up to you whether you supply the required translations or not, the ECO can apply evidential flexibility if required documents are not supplied, but they're not obliged to. The UKVI rules in respect of evidential flexibility are contained in section 3.4 of the Financial Requirements link I supplied you.

All up fees look to £1185 visa + £500 2.5 years NHS, £1685 in total.

The application fee is charged in US$, wherever you make the payment from. The application fee is currently $1530, so it will be whatever you card issuer charges you for the transaction, I suspect it will be slightly more that the figure you have in mind. I understand, but don't know for sure, that the NHS Surcharge will be rounded up to £600. Don't forget to factor in the cost of the TB and English Language tests. 

I assume only my statements will need to be validated?

Your statements would only need to be validated if you have printed them from the internet, in the link regarding the financial requirements I provided it says "Bank statements must be on official bank stationery. Alternatively, electronic bank statements can be accepted..........as long as they are either accompanied by a letter from the bank on it's headed stationery confirming that the documents are authentic or which bear the official stamp of the issuing bank on every page".

My payslips come by email, are prints of that good enough?

The Financial Requirement document doesn't mention payslips sent by email, what it does say is "Payslips must be original formal payslips issued by the employer and showing the employer’s name, or be accompanied by a letter from the employer, on their headed paper and signed by a senior official confirming they are authentic" so it seems to indicate that any non formal pay slips should be accompanied by a letter on headed paper and signed by a senior official.

At the end of the day it's your application, it's you that has to meet the requirements, rasg or I can give you our opinions, but it's not us that you need to satisfy. 

At the end of the day it's your application, it's you that has to meet the requirements, rasg or I can give you our opinions, but it's not us that you need to satisfy. 

My only experience comes for four successful visas in 18 months and the information that we supplied that worked for the various visas for my, now, wife. We didn't have a single phone call or email  to clarify any information for any of them apart from FLR when I missed two check boxes.

Your statements would only need to be validated if you have printed them from the internet, in the link regarding the financial requirements I provided it says "Bank statements must be on official bank stationery. Alternatively, electronic bank statements can be accepted..........as long as they are either accompanied by a letter from the bank on it's headed stationery confirming that the documents are authentic or which bear the official stamp of the issuing bank on every page".

I mentioned in my post above what worked for me for the Settlement visa and for FLR where the bank stamped the first page of each month while I waited. If they had stamped every page it would have been 150 pages... Santander have now done to twice for me and each time, while I waited.

Thanks for your replies,

Checked with Nationwide and they will stamp copies while I wait at no cost, so that seems to be sorted.

Given the visa cost, I don't want to take a chance on translations, so I'll do that in BKK, when I get there. From memory there are plenty of translation shops in the foyer of the visa building. I don't think there is much to translate. I have marriage cert translation with me. That leaves Tabien Baan, and ID card. I'll be staying nearby.

Wait time for appointments (any visa except student visas) is 3 days right now.

Just need all the VAF4A financials signed now. Bank statements and payslips, and cover letter.

Gotta do the sponsorship cover letter as well.

Edited by ilgitano
grammar

All the financials are done now, just the english test. Tomorrow bangkok.

Another question: There is a wait of one week to get a test certificate, for the english test. Now I thought I saw somewhere that they will pass or fail on the day of the test (tomorrow) and if you pass, they can give you a reference number or receipt that is good enough for a visa application. Is that true? I don't recall where I saw that, so I don't know if it's accurate. Otherwise I'll have to ensure the appointment is a week or so after the english test.

I fly thursday, and it would be good to get everything done and dusted on monday.

All the financials are done now, just the english test. Tomorrow bangkok.

Another question: There is a wait of one week to get a test certificate, for the english test. Now I thought I saw somewhere that they will pass or fail on the day of the test (tomorrow) and if you pass, they can give you a reference number or receipt that is good enough for a visa application. Is that true? I don't recall where I saw that, so I don't know if it's accurate. Otherwise I'll have to ensure the appointment is a week or so after the english test.

I fly thursday, and it would be good to get everything done and dusted on monday.

Your wife will need to wait about 10 days for the English test result.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

12 hours ago, rasg said:

I don'l know if it's the same for Thailand as it is for the UK but my wife did the exam on the 8th Feb and received the email with the number that you need for the visa on the 9th Feb. The certificate took a week.

That is what I recall seeing somewhere, thanks for confirming. She just did the test this morning, and she asked about it but they said they don't. There are two organisations that do the testing, perhaps the other provides that facility. I guess we see what shows up in her email, or wait til the 24th for the certificate.

Have any idea what the pass rate is for these tests? She figures 50/50 she'll pass. She talked to a few people who are on their second and even third attempts to pass.

Edited by ilgitano
typo

That is what I recall seeing somewhere, thanks for confirming. She just did the test this morning, and she asked about it but they said they don't. There are two organisations that do the testing, perhaps the other provides that facility. I guess we see what shows up in her email, or wait til the 24th for the certificate.

Have any idea what the pass rate is for these tests? She figures 50/50 she'll pass. She talked to a few people who are on their second and even third attempts to pass.

At Trinity College London my wife was given her results verbally the same day as the test. The pass rate is pretty high for the A1. If you look at the test videos on the Trinity website what looked like failures to me actually passed.

I do know you don't need to wait for the pass certificate to be issued before applying for FLR(M). The ECO requires your wife's SELT unique number because all SELT passes are now checked directly with the SELT providers by the Home Office using a secure on-line verification system. I don't know if this applies for a Settlement visa but I would be surprised if it doesn't. It wasn't something we had to worry about because my wife took the test a few weeks before in the UK.

I've found what I was looking for. Here is the email we received. I think I would wait!

IMPORTANT: Please quote your Unique Electronic Reference Number (UER) in any communication with us, which is: TCL/080216/667666/888888888. In addition, this is the Unique Electronic Reference Number (UER) you should quote if using your certificate for a Visa application with the Home Office. We strongly recommend that you wait until you have received your certificate to ensure that these details have been uploaded to our verification system that is accessible to the Home Office. 

The British Council and IDP both provide IELTS Life Skills tests (A1 & B1) in Bangkok.  However, the tests are conducted in exactly the same way and the marking system takes about a week to process and be checked.   If you PM me, I may be able to provide more specific information for you.  Did she take the test at the British Council or IDP?

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The British Council and IDP both provide IELTS Life Skills tests (A1 & B1) in Bangkok.  However, the tests are conducted in exactly the same way and the marking system takes about a week to process and be checked.   If you PM me, I may be able to provide more specific information for you.  Did she take the test at the British Council or IDP?

IDP (CP Tower, Silom Road, Bangkok)

6 hours ago, rasg said:

I've found what I was looking for. Here is the email we received. I think I would wait!

... We strongly recommend that you wait until you have received your certificate to ensure that these details have been uploaded to our verification system that is accessible to the Home Office. 

Waiting sounds like a good idea. 

Edited by ilgitano
meh

Good thing I decided not to be cocky and waited for the test result before submitting the application. Failed the english test. 

Back to the drawing board. Any good courses to prepare for the test in Chiang mai?

Also my actual visa preference is a multi year (6mo/yr or less) visit visa. Does anyone think that is going to be possible?

Bear in mind she failed a second visit visa due to a 1 week overstay on the first (due to my misunderstanding)

Also my actual visa preference is a multi year (6mo/yr or less) visit visa. Does anyone think that is going to be possible?

The problem is it starts getting expensive if you get a refusal or a downgrade from, say a three year, to six months.

29 minutes ago, rasg said:

The problem is it starts getting expensive if you get a refusal or a downgrade from, say a three year, to six months.

Still cheaper than the spouse route though. I accept professional legal assistance will be needed. In the end, it comes down to our word we have no interest in illegally staying over, and I'm off to a bad start with a one week overstay. Thaivisa seem to be confident that they can get any visa. Has anyone got one of these multiyear visit visas in recent times?

All visa companies are confident they can get anybody a visa of any flavour...

My wife got a three year visit visa last December and we’d only known one another of eight months. I was surprised. I dropped the ball and didn’t realise that my then GF was still limited to 180 days in one year so in February we went for settlement. Three year visit visas are no longer available.

Looks like redoing the test then.

I have conflicting information on doing the english test in chiang mai: some sources say that the test is only available for student visas, other sources imply that the spouse visa english test can be done in CM. Can anybody give me a definitive answer?

Also, International house in bkk offer a five day 3hr per day preparatory course prior to the test. Anything like that in CM?

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 0:29 AM, ilgitano said:

All the more reason to bolt down every eventuality and dot the i's and cross the t's.  It's a painstaking process and there are no refunds if it goes belly up.  Chok dee.

Looks like redoing the test then.
I have conflicting information on doing the english test in chiang mai: some sources say that the test is only available for student visas, other sources imply that the spouse visa english test can be done in CM. Can anybody give me a definitive answer?
Also, International house in bkk offer a five day 3hr per day preparatory course prior to the test. Anything like that in CM?

Make sure you're looking at the right test. The only UKVI approved A1 and B1 test, taken outside the UK is the IELTS Life Skills test. The only approved suppliers in Thailand are the British Council and IDP. For a student visa, a regular IELTS test is required, not Life Skills.

British Council may offer Life Skills tests in CM. IDP do not.

Do you have the details for the IH preparatory course?

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app