Markets dip after Trump victory

Markets dip after Trump victory
By BUSINESS REPORTERS 
THE NATION

5897b8e2e92272c3aec781885fa43ad6.jpeg

A screen displays the state of global markets, including the FTSE, DOW, and DAX indexes, as a trader from ETX Capital works in central London on November 9, 2016, following the result of the US presidential election.AFP PHOTO / DANIEL LEAL-OLIVAS

BANGKOK: -- STOCK markets in Asia, including Thailand, fell yesterday after Republican candidate Donald Trump won the US presidency, stoking fears over the impact on the global economy.

The Monetary Policy Committee warned the Thai private sector to prepare for high volatility from the capital fund flows and the currency fluctuations as global markets and the US economy are affected by unclear policy from Trump. 

The Stock Exchange of Thailand slipped 0.03 per cent or 0.41 point to close at 1,509.43 with turnover of Bt93.33 billion. Foreign investors were net sellers of Bt2.63 billion.

Singapore’s Straits Times Index fell 1.08 per cent to close at 2,789.88 points, while the Jakarta Composite Index closed down by 1.03 per cent to 5,414.32 points. 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/macroeconomics/30299627

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-11-10

FTSE DJ and DAX had recovered the same day already .. 

actually the majority recovered in just 2-3 Hours ... 

the time this "News" where released the change where pretty much 0% 

most trends just continue as technicals stated before .. 

just the usual propaganda ! 

Screen Shot 2016-11-10 at 10.47.11.png

I have no clue about finance, stock market, exchange... so would someone advise me:
I have 20,000 usd in cash with me now which i expecting to convert to THB.
I saw yesterday the rate went down little bit to 34.90 while this morning it was 34.98 when i checked first then 35 and 35.03.
Is it wise to change now and wait?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, landslide said:

Asian markets are mostly up today, recovering essentially what they lost yesterday.  The panic has to wait for another day.

This whole roller coaster ride made some rich a lot poor. Logic did not prevail which makes me think the whole game is rigged. Somebody saw an opportunity in the stock and gold market to make a mint due to the election outcome and took advantage legal or otherwise its hard to tell anymore which is what. It is well know that Japan is buying in the stock market as is Draghi. Draghi and Europe was the clue as after Asia tank the markets seem to level off in Europe and London and Germany climbed. Of course the government does not care as all they do is polish the stock market apple. 

1 hour ago, jphasia said:

I have no clue about finance, stock market, exchange... so would someone advise me:
I saw yesterday the rate went down little bit to 34.90 while this morning it was 34.98 when i checked first then 35 and 35.03.

Sorry but that will have to be a gut decision, as nobody outside the few elites have any idea what will happen with currency's or markets. The analysts are very good at telling you after the fact, but the fact that they are working tells me they haven't a clue. If you could be accurate about any currency or market for one month you could easily be a billionaire starting with one thousand dollars.   You might try asking your congressman what will happen as they are exempt from insider trading laws.

Sorry but that will have to be a gut decision, as nobody outside the few elites have any idea what will happen with currency's or markets. The analysts are very good at telling you after the fact, but the fact that they are working tells me they haven't a clue. If you could be accurate about any currency or market for one month you could easily be a billionaire starting with one thousand dollars.   You might try asking your congressman what will happen as they are exempt from insider trading laws.

Thanks. As I said, I don't have clue about such things and As you said, it's all speculation.
The fact is that I am not an American, i leave in Thailand and this money will remain in Thailand whatever in USD or THB. It just happened that I have this cash today with me, not in need of it right now, but I was thinking that I better put it in my account instead keeping it in cash, which mean convert it to THB (as i don't have a foreign currency account) so planned to change it today but as I see these post and the US election, i was wondering if i missed something and the rate might suddently change drasticaly either higher or lower and i might make a mistake due to my ignorance on the subject.

6 minutes ago, jphasia said:

Thanks. As I said, I don't have clue about such things and As you said, it's all speculation.
The fact is that I am not an American, i leave in Thailand and this money will remain in Thailand whatever in USD or THB. It just happened that I have this cash today with me, not in need of it right now, but I was thinking that I better put it in my account instead keeping it in cash, which mean convert it to THB (as i don't have a foreign currency account) so planned to change it today but as I see these post and the US election, i was wondering if i missed something and the rate might suddently change drasticaly either higher or lower and i might make a mistake due to my ignorance on the subject.

I guess having that much cash is a bad Idea at any time here, the dollar is considered strong right now so I would but it in a thai bank. That doesn't mean the dollar couldn't get stronger or the baht weaker.

I guess having that much cash is a bad Idea at any time here, the dollar is considered strong right now so I would but it in a thai bank. That doesn't mean the dollar couldn't get stronger or the baht weaker.

Thanks again for your comments. It's done already. I have exchanged it and got 700,800 THB for 20,000 USD which make 35.04 per dollar. Better than nothing... will get it deposit in my bank account tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, jphasia said:

Thanks again for your comments. It's done already. I have exchanged it and got 700,800 THB for 20,000 USD which make 35.04 per dollar. Better than nothing... will get it deposit in my bank account tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

It was less than 29 baht two years ago so I think your OK. Best of luck.

6 hours ago, jphasia said:

If possible, you many want to wait to see if The Fed raises rates next month. If so, that will most likely, at least temporarily, boost the USD some. Otherwise just exchange bit by bit, as you need, as an averaging strategy.

If possible, you many want to wait to see if The Fed raises rates next month. If so, that will most likely, at least temporarily, boost the USD some. Otherwise just exchange bit by bit, as you need, as an averaging strategy.

Thanks but I have already exchanged all this afternoon....
Not an issue as i will have another similar amount of USD coming by the end of Nov

8 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

This whole roller coaster ride made some rich a lot poor. Logic did not prevail which makes me think the whole game is rigged […]

What happened was completely logical. The surprising thing was that Trump’s acceptance speech was enough to calm the markets.

And I really doubt that a lot was made poor by this short movement, which mostly happened in the future markets and before most Americans woke up.

You sound like Donald Trump himself when you claim things are rigged. What are you basing this on?

13 hours ago, lkn said:

What happened was completely logical. The surprising thing was that Trump’s acceptance speech was enough to calm the markets.

And I really doubt that a lot was made poor by this short movement, which mostly happened in the future markets and before most Americans woke up.

You sound like Donald Trump himself when you claim things are rigged. What are you basing this on?

Based on hmm just my oh gut feeling I guess. The market is so crooked based on nothing but hype no honest earnings (most true earnings are lower than the year before but they are massaged to look good) no jobs no new plants. Its a daisy chain market. The cycle runs like this The US goes up Asia follows in the morning and Europe in the afternoon and like a daisy chain round and round it goes and where or when it stops nobody knows but it will not be pretty. Its lookin like 2008 all over again. There is no good news in the world its exactly the opposite to substantiate this kind of market behavior thus rigging comes to mind. Did you ever see that picture of the huge algorithm factory one of the big hedge funds has? Its a computer factory that is programmed to keep them mini seconds ahead of the market. All this is taking place while the SEC turns a blind eye to things and off course down sizing while Wall Street upsizes. Elizabeth Warren had to shame and ridicule John Stumpf of Wells Fargo to get Congress off of their arse (It was election time of course) and do something.  No I am not Donald Trump personally I would not want anything to do with the man. He is so many things that words to describe him are not permitted here. I am a proud non American and constantly pray for you people. If your religious I would advise you to start a prayer circle your going to need it. 

Edited by elgordo38

New factories are being built, just not in the U.S.

As for the value of companies, for the last couple of years, S&P 500 has been about flat.

The average P/E ratio of the S&P 500 is 24.94, which is high, but not completely decoupled from fundamental values, and while I did not study the numbers in details, I would expect the average is pulled up by overvalued (?) companies like Netflix, Amazon, and possibly Facebook (although their repeated strike of impressive earnings have lowered their P/E ratio significantly while still seeing the stock go up).

As for high frequency trading; I am a market participant, and while I am not overly keen on this practice, because it can cause some rather significant (and irrational) movements, it’s hardly affecting the long-term.

To claim that the market is rigged, you really need to be a bit more specific other than “gut feeling”. And I’m almost certain, whatever specific scenario you can describe, of someone rigging the market, you would be able to profit from this (on their behalf), if it was actually true.